Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out
Quote | Reply
Before I go into details of my personal experience and what I witnessed during the event on Sunday I feel that I should give this some background. The last few paragraphs hopefully will hit home for a lot of people on this forum and it's my sincere hope that it will safe someones life in the future if any changes are made by the WTC.

Background
28 y/o Male
Permanent Residence - Austin, TX
(x3) Ironman 140.6 finisher
multiple 70.3's & sub 3 marathons
Training load 8-15 hrs week almost year-round

Lead up to the race - I followed the weather and knew what I was in for the day of the event and took absolutely every precaution possible (hydration, salt, mentally telling myself "not worth pushing it, etc." In the back of my head I hoped that WTC would make the smart descision and shorten part of the course when they knew full well ahead of time that it was going to be 106+ on race day. They opted to start the race 1-hr earlier @5:30am but that didn't solve the main issue of the absolutely atypical race conditions. I remember before the start as they were closing the transition hearing "ARE YOU READY FOR 140.6?!!!" and hearing everyone jeering. In the back of my head I remember thinking "F**k; some of these people don't know what they're getting into. I'm legitimately scared for some of these people right now" If I recall correctly 48 of 50 states were represented; I would guess most people haven't had the opportunity to experience that type of heat in their life...let alone train for it.

Swim - Went great & was as to be expected. I didn't have room in my carry-on for my wetsuit so I did 1 hr 19 min. By far the best swim experience I've probably ever had in a Tri.

Bike - First Loop, went great. The weather wasn't too hot, I didn't ship my tri bike to the race so I rented a Roadie from the Spokane Valley BikeHub (great customer service btw). 2nd Loop it started to get hot (as was expected). The hills hurt a bit worse the 2nd go around but I spun up them with relative ease, my aim was to stay cool & calm as possible in anticipation of the run. Mile 90 I got a flat at the last turn-around, nbd. Mile 95 they ran out of WATER at the aid station (which is before/after one of the biggest climbs). That's when I actually started to realize how underprepared the organizers were; everybody was spraying themselves down with the bottles in an attempt to stay cool in the now brutal heat. Shortly thereafter I saw the first ambulance picking someone off the side of the road. Then again...and again. At that point I'd finally crested the hill and began the last ~10 miles into town. I lost count of people walking their bikes uphill & ambulances at that point. When I got into T2 I hoped to hear something to the effect of "the marathon has been shortened to 13.1" because at this point people weren't going to make it (physically).

Run - After my 3rd suntan lotion application of the day and lots of food, water, gatorade, & salt I headed onto the run course. I made it about 1 or 2 miles before I realized "nope, this isn't worth it...you're cooked." My legs were fine, I really wasn't even sore from the ride at all. It was more like I knew if I kept running I was going to become nauseaus from the heat it was so hot. Maybe 10% of the course was shaded, people had their sprinklers on, and there was sporatic ice, and spunges but it didn't do anything. I heard from two independent sources that the the heat index was 120F+ on the run course due to the pavement, lack of shade, asphault, and low/no wind. I would say if felt like it.

Basically it turned into a 24 mile death march. I hate walking but it would have been stupid to run. Walking was a double edged sword because I knew I'd be on the course even longer. On the run course I witnessed more abulance 'pick-ups.' I tried to trot whenever I was in the shade but those efforts were short-lived & futile at best. I walked the last 2-3 miles with a fellow named John from Seattle...nice guy. Also I want to take this opportunity to say "KUDOS" to the Mile 5 Alien group, their spirit and food was incredibly uplifting. Also I drank 2-3 cups per mile & nibbled food the entire 6hr journey; I took absolutely every precaution possible.

The Finish - I ran/trotted the last .2 miles & crossed the finish line in 14 hrs 21 min. With better conditions & my actual Tri-bike I'd have probably been somewhere sub-12. Immediately after crossing the line I started to feel a slight wave of nausea. I got my picture with the medal but made the concious decison to head into the athlete area instead of the medical tent. I just needed to "sit down." My next thought was "wow everybody here looks worse than I do....and that pizza looks disgusting."

Then after a minute or two (still in the athlete sitting/food area) I had another wave of nausea and thought "I should probably tell someone I need medical attention." When I looked up I couldn't find anyone and shortly thereafter I blacked out. I woke up in the medical tent 20yds away and was told I'd had a seizure (I've never had one), I'd fallen out of my chair, hit my head, and also the back of my ear was bleeding from the impact. I then proceeded to vomit on the 'medical volunteer'...and then on myself. They took my blood pressure and it was 82 (I think...I was pretty F*d up at the time). They wanted to give me an IV but I was too nauseaus and opted for water/gatorade. It took me about 20 min to get back to normal blood pressure/ hydration and then 40 min before they would release me.

The patient next to me (mid 20's - great shape) went into a siezure or cardiac arrest while I was still recovering. It was one of the scariest things I've seen; but what had the biggest impact on me was how unprepared/uncoordinated the medical staff was for that situation. It took them multiple minutes to unpackage & actually use an oxygen bottle. Nobody knew what they were doing and it was probably 5+ min before he started to breathe again and then it was another 5+ minutes until EMT's were in the Medical Tent; this is inexcusable and I hope this guy didn't suffer permanent brain damage (or die) as a result of their unpreparedness and lack of training. This guy was in the Medical Tent and it took 10 min for EMT's to get to him? What if he was on the side of the bike/run course??? I really hope that guy is okay, it scared the sh*t out of me. When I was released from the medical tent I still wasn't 100% by any means but I was allowed to leave. Nobody called my father who was my emergency contact. Getting my bags & bike and walking 2 blocks to my rental car was the 2nd leg of my death march. My phone was in the trunk and I had the first opportunity to contact my family at 11pm CST. Nobody was awake at that point and I couldn't physically put my bags or bike in the car so I just layed in the grass for almost an hour before my sister in Colorado called me back.

My advice to Ironmen & women: ALWAYS have someone attend these races with you. No matter how well prepared you are; sh*t happens. DON'T rely on WTC/Ironman medical staff; they are not as prepared/trained/coordinated as you think they should be. I severely overestimated their capabilities.

TO WTC/ Organizers of Ironman CDA: You knew better. This was a disaster in the making. Why not offer people ~50% off next years race if they chose to opt out last minute? Why not shorten the bike/run when ambulances started picking people off the course in droves?? Why aren't EMT's in the Medical Tent??? Why did you let someone with symtoms of a concussion leave on their own & not offer to contact their emergency contact???? You let a bunch of 'Type A' people (your future/existing clients) try to complete a course in conditions that probably half of them have never even been exposed to let alone trained in??

22% didn't finish the race, I hope nobody was permanently hurt or injured. Please reconsider the conditions you allow us to race in or provide a reasonable opt-out solution; we've all got families we want to go home to & future races to run.

:EDIT: I thought it was implied when I originally wrote this, I am fully aware & responsible for my actions.

Dan Merchant
dan.e.merchant@gmail.com
Last edited by: TX_TRIron: Jul 2, 15 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out [TX_TRIron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First. I have a feeling about where this thread will go and it is magical.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out [TX_TRIron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the same day, one of my athlete sticked to the plan, back off right from the start, respected the limit we set and PB by 1h45. She was all smile at the finish line and went home happy.

In the end, you are responsible for what happen to yourself. A simple DNF a miles 2-3 would had you in decent condition. not sure what your trying to proove by walking 24 miles but i personally dont like that kind of attitude/decision. In 105 degres, i call that stupidty. I gain more respect for someone that pull out when needed, respecting his own limits than someone that push on to the finish jeopardizing there health. Some athletes were better prepare for the heat than others. Some race a lot more cautiously, some took better overall decisions.

While as a coach, i was nervous and revised all power targets and race strategy with all my athletes for that day, all of them were in agreement that they wanted to race the full distance. I was all over the course from start to finish and other than the bike aid station shortage of water/warm drinks, i would say the race ran smoothly, and the community came out strong in the street with sprinkler, ice, hose etc. They made a huge difference in making this run course duable.

did i read this right? you didnt had room for your wetsuit so spend a extra 8-10minutes in the water and you rented a road bike instead of bringin your tri bike? I m not sure if it was the medical tent or the organiser or perhaps simply you that wasnt ready for the day. Or perhaps you are just trolling, it s a bit of a streatch to think someone could be that stupid?

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Last edited by: jonnyo: Jul 2, 15 0:50
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am off to bed but i fully expect to see at least 10 pages by tomorrow morning and a minimum of 5 popcorn gifs, please do not disappoint!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a strong believer in personal responsibility so this one is on you not WTC. However, your advice to never do an Ironman without a sherpa is spot on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tough experience. i can't say i'd have done the same thing. but you are 100% right on the sherpa/travel buddy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you a doctor?

They tried to give you medical help, you refused?
You left on you own two feet, some how this is WTC's fault?
Your blood pressure isn't just "82"

As for the guy in cardiac arrest, if this goes on for 5+ minutes like you say it did, and he's not breathing? He's dead.

And well, that's on you going to the hottest Ironman Race of the year alone, good on you now though, you realize how stupid you were.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I severely overestimated my capabilities. FTFY.

It sounds like you made plenty of poor decisions leading into and during the race. For those choices, I don't understand how you can blame WTC. I bet if you polled every race starter, 98 percent or better would be glad they didn't alter/shorten the course. With difficult conditions, it isn't about changing the course, it's about changing your race strategy. You need to adapt to conditions (i.e. if it's insanely hot I should adjust my nutrition, hydration, and pacing strategy...)

I've ended up in medical after a race before as well. In my experiences the medical personnel were exceptional, attentive, and prepared. They communicated with my family who was waiting outside the tent. They let me go after I told them I felt like I was capable of walking out on my own. If you want to discharge yourself from the hospital, you can. They can't force you to stay. Why would the medical tent be any different?

A lot of this story sounds like an exaggeration or perhaps remembered inaccurately. You said yourself you were "pretty f*ed up at the time" and "still weren't 100 percent". Maybe that affected your memory of the events.

Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you had a rotten day man but come on..to what extent are race organizers responsible for each individual? Reading through your recap a casual observer can spot way more instances of your taking big missteps vs the WTC. Also, and I'll bring this up again later, there is ZERO accountability on your behalf here..

-no wetsuit = keeping yourself in the race longer
-renting a roadie vs bring your tri bike = longer race, not racing as your presumably trained. I've done CDA and you don't want "bonus" time on the bike especially on those long out/backs with no cover..and in that weather? My guess is you expected the more normal CDA temps and were too late to get a transport lined up..
-walking the bulk of the marathon = sucks..but likely more of a reflection of your bike being more of a struggle than you anticipated
-lastly why would you not demand more medical attention after the race if you felt it was needed?

Again I'm sorry to hear about the hardship but frankly I'm surprised to see this post go up a few days after IMCDA. I would expect this sort of thing to go up hours after finishing when your exhausted/emotional/just plain f'd up a bit but you would think after a few days some of your missteps would have sunk in..

Summarized I don't think you're going to make much support (in your favor anyhow) as your post contained zero accountability and shifts your bad day all onto the race organizers. Take some responsibility dude.

....and yes on the sherpa. I made that mistake last year at IM Louisville. Just plain sucks having to get all your stuff after the race after the day/heat/etc has beat you down.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

Yeah, and it's a lot of peoples "Friday" today leading into a holiday weekend - less work to do, more proclivity to screw around at work..ultimately more ST time for ST'rs..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, first of all, I am glad you are OK after this seizure. Never a good thing. I think after these IM races, our judgement of what happened on race day, shortly thereafter (including many days afterwards) is not entirely perfect. I think you will sit back a month from now and agree with what some others here are saying, that in the end the outcome during and post race is largely a personal accountability thing. Most importantly please take care of your health now. The volunteers and medical staff do the best they can and often they have to go by what we tell them.

One thing I would suggest to every athlete reading this thread.....please walk for several minutes after the finish line. Don't sit down immediately....your legs are a pump for your heart and suddenly when your legs are not working it is hard for your heart to pump blood down to the legs and veinous return all the way up....walking a bit is helpful for some time. You've been spending 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 hours more of less upright and it is too much of a shock for the body to suddenly be in a different 'configuration'....medical docs etc, please chime in if I got this wrong, but pretty sure this is why most big city marathons make you walk a fair distance to get to the the "post finish line area".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry you had a horrible finish and experience, but I'm on the side of those that mention personal responsibility. Ultimately, you have to listen to your own body. I travel almost all of my races (including 4 out of my 9 IMs) alone and choose to take that risk. Some things can't be planned for. I'm sure WTC ordered tons of water, but when people take full bottles and start dousing themselves with it, that can double or triple the consumption of what they ordered for the race. I did a very mountainous 50K two years ago on a day similar to what you experienced with temps on course over 105 degrees and the final aid station- 4 miles from the finish, ran out of all liquids. We rolled with it. Not much else you can do.

Yes, people make poor decisions and push past their limits, but I would say maybe in the situation you experienced, maybe the EMTs that were in the tent might have been attending to someone else outside the tent? I don't know...just hypothesizing here, but I don't think you can lay too much blame on WTC. Hats off to them for NOT shortening the race!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

He swam with fins, didn't do the run, but he got the IronCowboy tattoo set? If there is a picture of him on an elephant, I'm going to go home, remove my clothing, and cover myself in Ben's magical bracelets, now with unicorn dust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I wonder what kind of bitching and whining you would have done had they cancelled the race on you once you've arrived in CDA.

2. No one put a gun to the head of any of the athletes to tell them that they had to start the race

3. I agree with you. At every Ironman, WTC should take a poll as to what type of conditions folks have been exposed to. If many of them have never been exposed or trained in the condition of race day, WTC should just cancel the race. And of course, WTC should give 100% refunds to everyone if they cancel for this reason ... probably should also give extra refunds to help cover the cost of travel/lodging that folks had to shell out for a cancelled race.

4. Maybe you should write to your congressman and complain

TX_TRIron wrote:
You let a bunch of 'Type A' people (your future/existing clients) try to complete a course in conditions that probably half of them have never even been exposed to let alone trained in??

Quote | Reply
Actually severe dehydration does lower your blood pressure like that. I'm not a doctor but once accidentally raced with the flu. I was a mess and fainted a few hours after the race. Luckily somebody caught me as I fell so I didn't hit my head. When I came to I promptly puked all over a total stranger (which I only mention because it seems to mirror the experience the op had). When the emt's came my blood pressure registered 76. My husband asked, "over what?" They said, "that's it, just 76." It took two iv bags to bring me back to a regular pressure.

To the original poster I'm sorry you had this experience. You probably should have accepted the IVs in the med tent - you probably would have felt much better.

TylerJ wrote:
Are you a doctor?

They tried to give you medical help, you refused?
You left on you own two feet, some how this is WTC's fault?
Your blood pressure isn't just "82"

As for the guy in cardiac arrest, if this goes on for 5+ minutes like you say it did, and he's not breathing? He's dead.

And well, that's on you going to the hottest Ironman Race of the year alone, good on you now though, you realize how stupid you were.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
On the same day, one of my athlete sticked to the plan, back off right from the start, respected the limit we set and PB by 1h45. She was all smile at the finish line and went home happy.

In the end, you are responsible for what happen to yourself. A simple DNF a miles 2-3 would had you in decent condition. not sure what your trying to proove by walking 24 miles but i personally dont like that kind of attitude/decision. In 105 degres, i call that stupidty. I gain more respect for someone that pull out when needed, respecting his own limits than someone that push on to the finish jeopardizing there health. Some athletes were better prepare for the heat than others. Some race a lot more cautiously, some took better overall decisions.

While as a coach, i was nervous and revised all power targets and race strategy with all my athletes for that day, all of them were in agreement that they wanted to race the full distance. I was all over the course from start to finish and other than the bike aid station shortage of water/warm drinks, i would say the race ran smoothly, and the community came out strong in the street with sprinkler, ice, hose etc. They made a huge difference in making this run course duable.

did i read this right? you didnt had room for your wetsuit so spend a extra 8-10minutes in the water and you rented a road bike instead of bringin your tri bike? I m not sure if it was the medical tent or the organiser or perhaps simply you that wasnt ready for the day. Or perhaps you are just trolling, it s a bit of a streatch to think someone could be that stupid?

I'd add, that while I've rented a bike (road) for a race, multiple times the distance was Oly. I'd NEVER rent a bike expecting to be on it for 112 miles, and then have to run a marathon. Renting a wetsuit would have been helpful to the OP as well.

Finishing a bit earlier than the OP (~3 hours), I found the medical people ready, helpful. I did see 2 finishers being taken away in stretchers (never seen that before).

WTC did great in my mind. As Jonnyo says, adjust to the day. Play smart. Watch the ego. "do the right thing"

@ mile 5 (run/jog) I caught a previous KQ'er, we talked, he looked way better than I felt. at mile 7 aid station he took off (gone, bye bye). Found out later he overcooked and dropped out.

It was my first IM, but, there are no "easy" IM's - of that, I'm sure.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One aspect that helped WTC out, with these crazy hot conditions, was the local community. There are stories galore of locals/spectators out on 95 hearing of an aid station running out of something and going to get extras. The CDA community is awesome and I do not believe this race, in these conditions, would have done as well as it did without them.

In my opinion, if there were thoughts of "this heat is killing me", early in the marathon, then a DNF would have been the safer option. This is a hobby for us and nothing else
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

One thing I would suggest to every athlete reading this thread.....please walk for several minutes after the finish line. Don't sit down immediately....your legs are a pump for your heart and suddenly when your legs are not working it is hard for your heart to pump blood down to the legs and veinous return all the way up....walking a bit is helpful for some time. You've been spending 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 hours more of less upright and it is too much of a shock for the body to suddenly be in a different 'configuration'....medical docs etc, please chime in if I got this wrong, but pretty sure this is why most big city marathons make you walk a fair distance to get to the the "post finish line area".[/quote]
This is great advice for everyone and something I also learned years ago. Most of us are at least mild - moderate dehydrated at the end of the race and when you stop walking, your blood pools in your legs causing you to become hypotensive and pass out. If you just keep walking it doesn't seem to happen, though I suspect if you are dehydrated enough, you could just pass out anyway. I've always thought the reason for placing post race pizza a ways away from the finish line was to keep people walking and avoid this happening ( maybe I'm giving too much credit here).

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are jumping on his case a lot (maybe fairly about the tri stuff). But anyone at WTC reading this should seriously evaluate their medical protocol if someone went down IN THE TENT and was unattended for that long.

I realize it's just one person's view but it's worth a pause and consideration for future events in extreme conditions. We all want to be safe out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there I did the race and I finished the race.

This race was about personal responsibility. This was my 11th Ironman and my only goal after arriving in CDA was to finish the race. I had to forget that this was my A race for the year with a new PR as my goal. It took me an extra 4 hours to finish the race but after seeing the people falling apart on the bike course I knew it was going to take self control to hold back and just finish. I have never stopped during the bike portion of an Ironman race but on Sunday I stopped 2 times to get cooled off in order to get to the next segment. It was into the 100's by the time I got to the 60 mile mark. The only fault I saw in the race by WTC was running out of water on the bike course and running out of ice on the run course. I got all I needed but I couldn't imagine riding 50 miles with no water and only warm Gatorade. After T2 I ran about a 1/4 mile and knew it would be game over it I tried to run it. I told myself my new A race is Wisconsin in Sept and its time to start training so just get this thing done. There is hands down nothing more difficult than waking a marathon.

WTC blocked traffic for us for 17 hours. The gave us the opportunity to become an Ironman. All the rest is up to us.

Next time I may bring waterproof hiking boots.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
You guys are jumping on his case a lot (maybe fairly about the tri stuff). But anyone at WTC reading this should seriously evaluate their medical protocol if someone went down IN THE TENT and was unattended for that long.

I realize it's just one person's view but it's worth a pause and consideration for future events in extreme conditions. We all want to be safe out there.

Really? I had the opposite reaction to folks jumping on him. I was expecting the claws to really come out and that it's been pretty kind so far. For my own part I am sorry he had a rough day but taking 0 accountability is just sophomoric and takes away from the point's he's trying to make.

You do have a point with the tent situation though, as well the water deal needs more WTC eyes on it. My guess is they did not expect so many to take 3-4 bottles (I'm assuming here) and that is inexcusable IMO.

With a name like spudone you have to be in ID, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out [caveAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caveAllen wrote:
I was there I did the race and I finished the race.

This race was about personal responsibility. This was my 11th Ironman and my only goal after arriving in CDA was to finish the race. I had to forget that this was my A race for the year with a new PR as my goal. It took me an extra 4 hours to finish the race but after seeing the people falling apart on the bike course I knew it was going to take self control to hold back and just finish. I have never stopped during the bike portion of an Ironman race but on Sunday I stopped 2 times to get cooled off in order to get to the next segment. It was into the 100's by the time I got to the 60 mile mark. The only fault I saw in the race by WTC was running out of water on the bike course and running out of ice on the run course. I got all I needed but I couldn't imagine riding 50 miles with no water and only warm Gatorade. After T2 I ran about a 1/4 mile and knew it would be game over it I tried to run it. I told myself my new A race is Wisconsin in Sept and its time to start training so just get this thing done. There is hands down nothing more difficult than waking a marathon.

WTC blocked traffic for us for 17 hours. The gave us the opportunity to become an Ironman. All the rest is up to us.

Next time I may bring waterproof hiking boots.

I was there as well and I agree with you. The part I felt was poor planning was running out of all water for the last 3 aid stations on the bike when it really was terribly hot ..... same with ice on the run!
When this happened at IM Canada Penticton it was on a much cooler day and they had hose water .... just not bottled water .... it was a big stink up session on ST and IM gave free entry to the next year race.
This was actually much worse and this was after they told us they had made special effort to bring in all the water and ice that would be needed because of the extreme heat.
The water / ice thing was a BIG DEAL and the race owns that one for sure.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CDA 2015 - Worst case scenario_RR/ WTC call-out [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the OP "mis-remembered" a lot of stuff in the medical tent.

One one breath, he says that EMTs didn't get in the tent for 10+ minutes. On another breath, he says that people were unpacking 02. O2 does not need to be unpacked in the medical tent. They are already set up and ready for use. They are a bunch of cylinders. You just need to unpack the mask, hook it up to the cylinder, and turn in on. Regular volunteers wouldn't be touching/"unpacking" 02 bottles or medical stuff. The people "unpacking" are most likely volunteer nurses, doctors, EMTs, or other medical personnel. In other words, medical staff was there all along, not 10+ minutes later like he stated.

He doesn't know if the guy that had a medical problem was going through a seizure or cardiac arrest. If it was a cardiac arrest and no one got to him for 10+ minutes, we'd all be reading about a death. If it's a seizure, there is nothing that medical staff can do right then and there except to let the seizure play out/finishes and ensure that the patient doesn't hurt himself by smashing into stuff. In other words, what may look like inactivity by medical staff for a seizure is in fact medical staff following protocol.

He complained that he was allowed to leave even though he wasn't 100%. Well, no one is 100% after an Ironman, not the folks in the medical tent nor the guy lounging in the food tent. No one forced him to leave the medical tent. Had he complained that he was still nauseated, they would have let him stayed. At the same time, no one can force him to stay in the medical tent if he decides to walks out.

He complains that no one called his emergency contact person while he was in the tent. If you are in an emergency situation out in the field (i.e., medical tent, car accident, etc), emergency medical staff NEVER contact your emergency contact person while its on going, even if they had the info. Their job is to stabilize you. Contacting the emergency point of contact is done at a later time, many times, many hours later.

Quote | Reply
dcsxtri10 wrote:
caveAllen wrote:
I was there as well and I agree with you. The part I felt was poor planning was running out of all water for the last 3 aid stations on the bike when it really was terribly hot ..... same with ice on the run!
When this happened at IM Canada Penticton it was on a much cooler day and they had hose water .... just not bottled water .... it was a big stink up session on ST and IM gave free entry to the next year race.
This was actually much worse and this was after they told us they had made special effort to bring in all the water and ice that would be needed because of the extreme heat.
The water / ice thing was a BIG DEAL and the race owns that one for sure.

Dave

I went through 10 bottles of water and 4 Gatorades on the bike. I would say 3 of the bottles were used to cool me off. In past races I typically only use 4 waters and 3 sports drinks + the 3 I have on my bike. So if most people doubled their typical use they would have had to double the amount on the course. I wonder how much more they brought out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry you had to go through what you did and very happy that things are 'okay'.

Here's what it's like to be accountable for your own race:

1. After hearing the forecast, I trained as much in the heat as I could. I jumped in the sauna after workouts to help the sweat rate.

2. About mile 12, my left hand was cramping up, just balling up into a fist with no pain. I walked it out for a good 5 minutes, modified my nutrition plan a bit. I did not just carry on with the left side of my body doing strange things.

3. Post-race, I was feeling light-headed after getting massaged, sat down in a chair before leaving the tent to gather my wits. Someone from the staff noticed me and as I got up from the chair asked me how I was doing and engaged me in a short conversation. After a few exchanges, I was told to go have a seat by the check-in table. I did not refuse. Someone brought me pizza and water, I stayed for about 15 minutes, stood up, said I felt much better and left.

I guess I could have had a similar experience as you, but I think I made smarter decisions at some critical points that kept me from being in your boat. I know that the hardest part to recover from is going to be mental and I hope you are able to.
Quote Reply

Prev Next