Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Boulder Welcome Banquet
Quote | Reply
So I noticed that Ironman Boulder has posted the tentative schedule for the race, and the usual welcome banquet associated with Ironman races is now at Boulder going to be an open concert with a beer garden instead of the typical pasta dinner and video experience. I haven't done an Ironman since 2014, but I wonder if this is actually a new concept, or just "new to me" so to speak, and I wonder what others here on the forum think of the change. Good or bad?

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder Welcome Banquet [newguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't heard of any races that have done this but I like the idea. The standard pasta dinner sucks anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Whistler they gave everyone food vouchers that could be used in the village, instead of a pasta dinner. There may have been a concert they put on, there was something on the stage, but weather was bad so I skipped it. I like the idea of the pasta dinner, getting together with all the other athletes before the race, but it tends to be a let down with food that isn't great and takes too long.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder Welcome Banquet [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
At Whistler they gave everyone food vouchers that could be used in the village, instead of a pasta dinner. There may have been a concert they put on, there was something on the stage, but weather was bad so I skipped it. I like the idea of the pasta dinner, getting together with all the other athletes before the race, but it tends to be a let down with food that isn't great and takes too long.

I did the traditional pasta thing at AZ and the dine out thing at Whistler. Whistler was MUCH better, and there was still the usual athlete bonding stuff, inspirational video, etc at the post meal athlete meeting
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder Welcome Banquet [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just thought it was an interesting change- especially with all the talk about Ironman cutting costs (I was just reading the thread on the backpacks). I figure some would think it was a cheap move on Ironman's part, some, like yourself, would welcome the change (I remember not being overly impressed by the pasta dinners either). Others, I figured, wouldn't care less. I do think, though, that some people sign up for the experience of an Ironman and look at the price of the event and justify the price to themselves because of the experience, and removing things like the banquet for some and replacing it with a beer garden (which I assume won't be free :) could upset some people... I think the concert idea might be cool though... but having been a long term lurker here on Slowtwitch, I've found the collective wisdom here to be a good gauge.

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid has changed in recent years. Can't remember how long it's been, but no longer has the welcome/pasta dinner but instead does the food voucher thing to restaurants in town and then a little local concert on Main Street. It's also been years since they did the brunch food at the awards, now it's just awards and maybe some mini muffins or something, I can't remember.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder Welcome Banquet [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you prefer it this way?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they do it like they did in 2014 and 2015...(excerpt from athlete guide) "There will NOT be food service prior to the Ceremony. Instead, athletes will be given a $25 voucher with their packet during Athlete Check-In. The voucher will be valid Thursday, July 30 through Saturday, August 1. A list of participating restaurants will be handed out with the voucher at Athlete Check-In." I much preferred this to the standard athlete dinner. Many great restaurants in Boulder to explore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced in Lake Placid for several years in a row and never once went to the welcome banquet, because there were so many good restaurants in town to choose from. So, yes, definitely prefer it this way. Same goes for the awards. And really, especially for the awards, because now families don't have to shell out money for tickets to eat food they are probably not going to eat anyway. It makes everything take less time as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder Welcome Banquet [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the response/opinion. Thanks...

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Boulder Welcome Banquet [ajhite76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know about the food voucher. I like the idea of the food voucher- I assume then that Ironman is actually not "getting cheap", so that critique goes out the window, and the community benefits as well...

Last edited by: newguy: May 6, 16 17:43
Quote Reply