Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Atlantic City
Quote | Reply
Sorry if breaking any ST etiquette since this was also popping up on another thread (new Ironman venues), but thought dedicated thread would allow a more focused discussion. Seeing lots of chatter on FB about this today.

http://www.ironmanatlanticcity.com and http://www.ironmanac.com were both registered on August 19th, 2015

Looks like a pretty clear sign something is happening. With CAC status unclear from the Rev3/Challenge spilt I'd be happy to see this race continue. I was already planning on this race as CAC, had my hotel room booked. I'm a huge Delmo fanboy, think he runs great events and under WTC this race would blow up. Princeton 70.3 did well but had issues with permits/local approval... AC 70.3 would fill in a gap here. If they keep as full, it would suddenly go from a race many people never gave a chance to a must-do sellout (aka - the Chesapeakeman effect - didn't coin that term but we all understand the WTC impact / brand allure)

Last edited by: DDMike: Oct 2, 15 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Atlantic City [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may not mean anything. For example, ironmanohio.com is registered. As are many ironman_______.com (fill in the blank) domains. These may have been registered by WTC or by anyone hoping to make a $ by selling the name back tovWTC should they ever decide to have an event that could use that domain name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am for this if only to have a June Ironman option. Now to preemptively answer the IM haters as to why not just do it as a Challenge race?

1) The Challenge brand doesn't count towards my legacy qualifying goal. Still hope to KQ, but the LQ is at least a possibility.
2) Challenge races are licensed and the actual race is only as good as the local RD. Ironman has much better brand control.
3) The little bit of savings you get on a Challenge race is not worth the risk for their frequent lack of attention to detail. You get what you pay for.
4) Challenge is a failed brand in North America.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Atlantic City [jfm225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it seems to be real deal and not a squatter. Registered only in August and by WTC/Ironman directly (domain registration show)
certainly something working... who knows if it's done or will fall through.. but certainly there is smoke here

Creation Date: 2015-08-19T17:10:47.00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-08-19T17:10:47.00Z
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Registrar IANA ID: 48
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/...ntTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: C RICHARDS
Registrant Organization: WORLDTRIATHLONCORPORATION
Registrant Street: 2701NROCKYPOINTDR
Registrant Street: SUITE1250
Registrant City: TAMPA
Registrant State/Province: FL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Chesapeakeman effect is real and we would see it here should this be what is happening. However despite the WTC's name on the race instead of Challenge, I seriously doubt you are going to get a different experience than what we have already had for 2 years. Delmo does a fantastic job on all his races, and I have done both fulls at CAC, and enjoyed them immensely. I wasn't exactly planning on doing it for a third year in a row but I would be tempted to do it under the M-dot brand SOLELY for the reason of seeing if there was truly anything that changed or if all the fawning and bubbling by the participants is actually over the M-dot logo and not the race experience itself (which I suspect would be unchanged, nor does it need to change IME)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also registered by WTC is IRONMANOHIO. But no news of any thing like that coming up. WTC may just be grabbing all the names.

Domain Name: IRONMANOHIO.COM
Registry Domain ID: 47976962_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
Registrar URL: http://www.enom.com
Updated Date: 2015-08-11T10:55:29.00Z
Creation Date: 2000-12-13T18:35:00.00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-12-13T18:35:00.00Z
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Registrar IANA ID: 48
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/...ntTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: DOMAIN ADMINISTRATOR
Registrant Organization: WORLD TRIATHLON CORPORATION
Registrant Street: 2701 N ROCKY POINT DRIVE SUITE 1250
Registrant City: TAMPA
Registrant State/Province: FL
Registrant Postal Code: 33607
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.8138685940
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.8138685930
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: DOMAINS@IRONMAN.COM
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Atlantic City [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in a different camp. I'd NOT do it if it changed to IM. Why? Because what I really want is an iron aquabike option, not another wicked expensive IM option. But, I'd volunteer, and lord knows that race needed more of those. <-- That would be the only thing lacking from the prior two races which were still all-around really excellent productions.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Oct 2, 15 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, that's interesting if WTC is squatting / blocking domains with no intent of these seeing daylight..... or maybe they just plan to take over the market... oh wait... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jfm225 wrote:
Also registered by WTC is IRONMANOHIO. But no news of any thing like that coming up. WTC may just be grabbing all the names.

Perhaps registered for this potential 70.3: http://www.thisweeknews.com/...y-ironman-event.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They seem also to have registered a domain name that is my home street address. Damn.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both domains redirect to the Ironman.com site, most likely in an effort to gauge how many people are paying attention and trying to hit the links.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DDMike wrote:
wow, that's interesting if WTC is squatting / blocking domains with no intent of these seeing daylight..... or maybe they just plan to take over the market... oh wait... ;-)

Why wouldn't they register every single viable name possible? Common sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Atlantic City [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to see this happen because it's 10 minutes from my house

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Atlantic City [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot on and good business sense. Companies do this all the time. I have done it for my company. Better to have and to hold, then to deal with paying for it later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference is that ironmanohio.com was created almost 15 years ago. ironmanatlanticcity.com was created six weeks ago... after CAC was completed.

Not saying there's anything to it but if there is that will pretty much signal the end of Challenge in North America. Pretty much leaves Penticton as the only race and it's a f'n joke.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love to see it. Even if it was just a half. Might take a pretty big bite out of Eagleman though. And yeah, Challenge is pretty much dead in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DDMike wrote:

They've been doing it for years and years. The first time I saw it was when word was going around about Ironman CdA getting started. I think there were 4 or 5 sites in the running and wtc had bought up names related to all of the potential sites.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just announced (confirming the other poster's suggestion): http://www.ironman.com/...3.aspx#axzz3nfItRICB
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Atlantic City [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AC is official

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/atlantic-city.aspx#axzz3pJYPP1KY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Evidently WTC expects it to be quite popular based on their pricing tier:
WTC wrote:
Individual 70.3:
11/2/2015 – 12/31/2015 (or first 500 registrations, whichever comes first) $280
1/1/2016 – 1/31/2016 (or next 500 registrations, whichever comes first) $299
2/1/2016 – 2/28/2016 (or next 1000 registrations, whichever comes first) $329
3/1/2016 – Close (or next 750 registrations, whichever comes first) $349

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/atlantic-city/register.aspx#ixzz3pJdmksRK

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Atlantic City [VGT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so disappointing both distance and time of year - was psyched when I heard they were making an announcement, thought it would be full and earlier in summer. oh well, good to see an event lives on, just wish it was in a different format.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Atlantic City [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
WTC wrote:

Individual 70.3:

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/atlantic-city/register.aspx#ixzz3pJdmksRK

just an fyi... Quakerman is one week later and right now it's $155 (and you can pick up your packet & rack your bike that same morning without being forced to come a day early for those things)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Atlantic City [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
WTC wrote:

Individual 70.3:

Interesting it is registrations or date per tier. Usually it's just date. Actually a great idea to pick up some extra bucks on races that sell out early and fast. Stinks for us racers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Atlantic City [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next