Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete)
Quote | Reply
Thought I would type up a bit of a recap on my race at Ironman Arizona as I found prior reports posted helpful during my prep. Text below. Report with photos will be up on jtolandtri.com sometime in the next week.

Pre-Race
Ironman Arizona was a last minute affair for me. Since moving to Boulder for school in August my training has been going great and I've been searching for a final season closer event. Plans for Austin 70.3 fell through leaving me with no plans in the middle of October. I saw that flights were cheap to Phoenix and shot SmileTrain (official charity partner) an email and found out they still had some slots. We were able to find a fundraising minimum that worked and with four weeks to go I was signed up. With an Olympic on the calendar already for 3 weeks out, it would be 2 weeks race specific training plus a week taper. As it turned out I ended up sick after week 1 and that became 1 week race specific training, 1 week sick, 1 week taper. My only two real "race specific" workouts were a 2 hour and 2.5 hour run along with a few 5 hour rides in that week and a half window. I'm typically one who sign-ups for a race with the goal of winning or at least performing to my potential. That ambition was totally out the window for Arizona and this was really my first "just do it" race since starting triathlon in 2012.

A quick non-race specific note- I've done a variety of USAT and ITU short course events so I'm familiar with "big" events. I have to say though that WTC really has the entire operation figured out. I didn't experience a single problem of their doing the entire weekend. It was on par with ITU Edmonton for execution, which was a very well run event. If/when I do another full distance race I will be doing another WTC event.

Swim- 54:29
My experience with the rolling start was fine, although I do wish it was still a mass start. I was lined up 3rd row on the right side of the stairs. Even 3rd row I was slowed by people waiting to jump in front while being pushed from behind. From what I've read/heard/seen it seems as though a rolling start in this case was really a solution to a problem that didn't exist (except bike density, which is certainly a valid reason). Maybe time for some good old wave starts? Spread the density, allow head to head AG racing and reduce contact in the water? Once in the water and swimming I had a bit of contact for the first couple hundred yards before finding my feet. From there on out it was head down and go. I drafted the same guy all the way around the course to a solid 54:29 which was well under my goal of 57 minutes. A great way to start the day out and good enough for the M18-24 Roka first out of the water prize.

Bike- 4:48:53 // 215AP/218NP // VI 1.01
Coming from a short course background I hurried right along through transition. Volunteers were great and I was off and riding in no time. Accidentally tossed on my helmet before putting on my T1 top, but that wasn't too hard to fix. The first "out" on the bike course was desolate. I was passed by one male pro and one amateur EMJ member and passed a few female pros. Managed to keep my ego in check when they rolled by and stuck to my pacing. Compared to short course the first lap felt like soft pedaling. I was constantly looking down at a number way above target and had to shift down and spin to keep myself in check. Of course this problem gradually went away, but it was certainly a nice change while it lasted! I was targeting 220w and rode 221w/220w for lap 1 and 2 and then made the call to pull back to 205w for the last lap to get ahead on nutrition and freshen up for the run. I don't have a solid tab on my FTP at the moment, but wattage is what I would typically expect on a solid long training ride. I would estimate the IF right around .65. Traffic increased throughout the laps, but I don't believe I ever had to slow to pass. Definitely did some yelling, but tried to keep it friendly. Rain set in on the way back to T2, but being a PNW native I wasn't too concerned. Actually nice to finally get some of the sticky crap off my hands. By far the worst part of the bike was all the nutrition and associated stickiness. I'm typically a Milkyway bar/muffin at the shop kind of long ride nutrition person. My race nutrition consisted of a TriSports order placed a few weeks before the event plus an Infinit mix I use when it's warm out.

Consumed (1880 calories // 388 calories/hour):
4 Powerbar Gel's (110 calories)
1 Shotbloks (200 calories)
1 Milkyway Bar (240 calories)
4 servings Infinit (1000 calories)

Run- 3:42:06
This is where the lack of race specific training and first timer naivety comes into play. My realistic marathon target based on my last long run was 3:20-3:35. The smart way to pace would have been to go out at 3:25 pace and then hope to pick it up at the end. Instead I let myself get mixed up with the female pro race and chased Roberts and Vesterby through the first 10 miles of the run holding sub-7 pace. It was incredible to get a chance to run with them and I definitely gained a new found respect for the level they compete at. I did manage to stay on top of nutrition taking in water at every aid station and a gel at mile 5 and 10. Typing this now it is obvious how stupid this pacing was. When you start the run with guys that have been doing this for years with a faster target time than yourself and drop them quickly you really should do a mental check. Needless to say the wheels began to come off at mile 10. I went through half way at 1:36 which ultimately means I ran a 1:36/2:06 positive split. Ouch. I ran and then walked aid stations through about mile 15, but was really just continuing to fall apart. Rob caught me at this point and talked me into running with him. To quote him- "it's a game of attrition" which I think is pretty spot on. Rob got me through mile 21 and round to the other side of the lake, but I needed to stop and walk some more. At this point it was a mental game. I started sampling the various course offerings for some distraction: grapes- awesome, pretzels- good distraction, chicken broth- great, coke- nasty, Gatorade- better than normal, Redbull- disgusting, banana- nice. I ran with a friend from Seattle on track to a sub 12 PR for a while and at this point started to find some momentum again with less than 3 miles to go, all towards the finish. With a mile and a half to go I started running the mental math: 9:20 target was gone, sub 9:30 was still remotely possible. At 8:30 min/mi pace I was moving with everything I had left and still going practically no where! Unfortunately it wasn't quite enough for sub 9:30, but did get me "9:30" with a 9:30:46.

Overall I am pleased with the performance given relative lack of specific training and pacing stupidity and feel I could shave some time pretty easily and quickly on future attempts. It was an incredible experience for sure and really fun and humbling to go head to head with some of the top amateurs in the sport (and on the forum). I will be sticking with short course and 70.3 for the time being. When I do race another Ironman and hopefully Kona someday it won't be another "do it" event, but one where I prepare specifically for the event in order to perform to potential.

My take-aways:
-A good swim gets you rolling in the right mindset and allows for conservative pacing on the bike without everyone blowing by you.
-Bike pacing is essential. Unlike short course racing their is no hammering when you are passed. Ego has to be dropped off at the start.
-Two consistent laps with an easier 3rd lap on the bike set me up perfectly for the run
-Go out too hard on the run and you'll pay for it. Use the GPS on your wrist. It doesn't lie.
-Sports nutrition is disgusting but necessary.
-It can be really relaxing and fun to go into a race with no expectations and a "just do it" attitude.

I spent a solid couple hours searching the forums right after signing up for the race and was really impressed by the collective wisdom on here. Everything from nutrition to pacing. ST really is an incredible resource. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to that and hopefully I can add a little bit of info for someone else down the road.

For those interested, Strava links below:
Swim- https://www.strava.com/activities/433821392
Bike- https://www.strava.com/activities/433820973
Run- https://www.strava.com/activities/433821466
Last edited by: JTolandTRI: Nov 17, 15 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome work Jack. It has definitely been fun following you the last couple years. Keep up the positive attitude and you will go very far in this sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great first IM, especially for doing it on short notice. Congrats!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Quite the change from short course, but also cool how an overall base can get you through a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, you've got a bright future.

I'm curious, what's your height and weight?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [wprobinson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Taking it step by step.

I'm 75.5" and ~165lbs. I've been fairly steady on that height/weight for about a year now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Thanks. Taking it step by step.

I'm 75.5" and ~165lbs. I've been fairly steady on that height/weight for about a year now.

Did someone at the swim start take a look at you and say, "Yeah, you're definitely in the under an hour group"? If so, that was me. Great race!

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [N. Dorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! That was me.

How did your race go?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Yes! That was me.

How did your race go?

Not as hoped but finished. Held Kona-worthy pace thru mile 12 of run, then just gutted it out. Were you able to get to open water pretty quickly?

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great execution for the first time out Jack. I applaud your run pacing - good on you for giving it a crack. It may be one of the most valuable lessons you can apply in future Ironman races.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Thanks. Quite the change from short course, but also cool how an overall base can get you through a lot.

Congrats on a great race!

FYI, this pretty well how I did my first IM back in 1991. Training for Olympic tris and 10K running and did the first IM off a single long ride of 4 hours and a long run of 13 miles....Your swim and bike were 60 min faster though and runs were identical! Great to see young guys just "hopping into the game"

But keep working on your high end speed. You can keep doing IM's when you are a lot older. Look at Andreas Ralaert, 2nd in Kona at 39.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job Jack!! Awesome performance - especially for a last minute decision. Hope to see you on course again this year!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [N. Dorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like our wheels came off right about the same spot.

Yes, I had a bit of contact for 400 yards or so jumping from feet to feet as people's initial sprint died out, but then found "my" feet and cruised with him all the way round the course. If the person who swam ~54:20 wearing a B70 Helix on Sunday reads this- thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [sesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nick.
I think you are spot on with that thought. Best way to smash that sort of thing into your brain is by learning it the hard way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I had a bit more prep than that but not by much!

Yes...I know. I'm hoping to find a happy medium with collegiate Olympic distance and 70.3 racing for the time being. Kona slot was very tempting, but I think I will come out ahead in the long run by waiting.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Louie!

You smoked me at a few races this year! Hoping I can give you a bit better run for your money next time around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Awesome! I had a bit more prep than that but not by much!

Yes...I know. I'm hoping to find a happy medium with collegiate Olympic distance and 70.3 racing for the time being. Kona slot was very tempting, but I think I will come out ahead in the long run by waiting.

In fairness, those olympic tri training weeks were all solid volume.....14-22 hours, its just there was no specific IM prep, we were just doing a lot of intense workouts in all sports often. That's more hours that most folks put into their first IM, so was not a big "stretch" to do the full distance event. I find with this approach, the last quarter of the bike and the last 1/3 of the run is really mentally hard. But you were able to back off during the final 1/3 of the bike (smart) to get ready for the run....then tough out the run. In Penticton, the last 1/5 of the course was pretty easy, so you inherently backed off due to course topology. Courses like Lake Placid, Whistler,Tremblant, Tahoe are hard to do that on since you get hammered with back end climbing, so on those courses, I find you have to take the early part of the run ultra easy and focus on re fueling and topping up. Arizona, it sounds like you can control what you want to do when since you kind of control the output.

....and while I agree with you about focusing long term on short racing, if I was onsite I would have brow beaten you to take the Kona slot, get it out of your system while focusing on short course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another PNW local here looking forward to seeing you compete on the big stage. Thanks for the insightful report.

Best of luck at Colorado!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amazing performance Jack!
We'll be in touch :-)

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Scott.

Hopefully paths with cross at a local race next summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [chanthony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
For sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
if I was onsite I would have brow beaten you to take the Kona slot, get it out of your system while focusing on short course.

I was on site and threatened to beat him if he took the slot. Given how sore he was the next day it was easy for him to make the correct decision ;-)

Jack you are going to get bonus intervals early next season for calling it base fitness. You know we do not use that term at Accelerate 3. You either have fitness or you do not, you are either working to gain more fitness or you are not.

But don't worry it's only 2x(8vo2 + 4ez) for bonus intervals. But man will that suck at the end of what is already a 32 min long vo2 max set!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next