Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa
Quote | Reply
This doesn't seem to fit the narrative of a sport in decline although some of this is due to acquiring Competitor Group and moving the operations to Tampa.

https://www.enterpriseflorida.com/news/ironman-expansion-create-70-jobs-tampa-headquarters/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well.. they currently only have 8 jobs posted.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
Well.. they currently only have 8 jobs posted.
I took it that either some of those are multiples (especially interns) or they will roll them out over the next few months. I don't even think they've finished the build-out of their lease expansion yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None. Key leadership transferred to Tampa but some positions were eliminated as redundant to existing staff.

Edit - BTW, weren't you supposed to do the Great Clermont Oly for training?
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Mar 21, 18 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any entry level attorney positions?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn’t they add 70.3 jobs...?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

Wondering the same thing here...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [ltc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking, they're looking for people with good contracting, licensing, and m&a experience.

For the OP and others - lots of positions were filled over the fall and winter; lots in sales/marketing/data management stuff.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard they hired a junior level attorney from the PNW last month. So not likely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
None. Key leadership transferred to Tampa but some positions were eliminated as redundant to existing staff.

Edit - BTW, weren't you supposed to do the Great Clermont Oly for training?

I have multiple injuries right now that prevented me from even making it a training day. I am getting old :(

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [coreyasaur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coreyasaur wrote:
Shouldn’t they add 70.3 jobs...?

I see what you did there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
This doesn't seem to fit the narrative of a sport in decline although some of this is due to acquiring Competitor Group and moving the operations to Tampa.

https://www.enterpriseflorida.com/news/ironman-expansion-create-70-jobs-tampa-headquarters/

Well that would replace some of the jobs lost by a handful of the races now gone where I live and one of the retailers from the past year. So, 70 jobs for a global company in more markets then just triathlon doesn't seem like that much "growth".
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point is that a hiring blitz is not the sign of a company in distress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody ever said WTC was in distress.

The sport of triathlon, on the other hand, is a bit of a different story from a participatory volume perspective. Which even WTC recognized - hence their partnership with USAT on building/marketing Time to Tri.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ltc wrote:
cloy wrote:

Wondering the same thing here...

Well, that makes three of us!

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe those aren't Ironman jobs. Maybe they are Ironsport jobs!

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...censing#.WrPaJ-jwZPY
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman owns triathlon events, cycling events and road running events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Got it. The quote below had me believe you were referencing the sport of triathlon's decline. I didn't know it was more about WTC as a company.

This doesn't seem to fit the narrative of a sport in decline
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to "know" someone (probably 3 or 4 degrees of separation) that worked in-house there. Based on the few stories I heard it did not sound like an appealing place to work.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once hired a lady who had worked there and heard many stories but those were associated with the previous CEO. I've also heard stories about the current corporate culture - and I "know" someone there now, and the primary problem seems to be that they are just cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A I agree with, Ryan - "distress", is not the best word.

Triathlon in North America, an thus intimate to a good number of people on this forum, is flat or down - and you see that in IM's participant numbers. They were lower last year, I'm sure than, say 4 years ago.*

However, elsewhere in Asia, in Europe, and South America the sport of triathlon and IM are experiencing growth. They just put on the first IM 70.3 in Sri Lanka as a great example.

The acquisition of Competitor Group/Rock-n-Roll, as it always does has created some efficiencies, and some cuts. As a micro example - I Announced at 3 Rock-n-Roll Races last year, this year I'm getting only one gig with RnR. I was told, IM is re-purposing some of their Announcers for the RnR races - it makes perfect sense and I understand completely. It's all good, I've expanded by a great deal the Live Stream Commentary work that I've been doing with RunnerSpace - for Track & Field & Running.

* As noted to their credit, IM has partnered with USA Triathlon on the Time To Tri initiative, which is well needed and great to see.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that triathlon has peaked in Europe. At least 3 full Ironman races in north Europe offer a relay option this year (Haugesund, Vichy, and Estonia). IM Mont Tremblant is the only one in North America with a relay. From my perspective, a relay option is an attempt to boost flagging registrations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they did similar after they acquired IMNA.... they fired all the experience and hired kids right out of college. I'd be curious what kinds of departures, forced or otherwise, preceded this.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Adds 70 New Jobs in Tampa [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Tampa and can look out our office windows and see WTC's old premises off of Courtney Campbell Causeway. After they bought Competitor Group, they moved their HQ into an office complex across the street from Tampa Bay Bucaneers HQ. Then they expanded their lease to pretty much take over the entire 1st floor of that complex ... mostly due to the Competitor Group expansion which is basically transferring that operation from San Diego to Tampa. I don't think there's much more to the story than that except that I believe (i.e., don't really know) that they hope to leverage that running brand ownership into a source of future IM competitors.
Quote Reply

Prev Next