Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead vs Muncie: venue, bike course condition
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about changing my schedule up a bit and doing Ironman 70.3 Racine instead of Steelhead which I've done in the past. I really love Steelhead, it's an awesome race and an awesome venue. For those that have done both, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how they compare. Specifically, I'm interested to hear about the condition of Racine's bike course. I recall hearing that it was in rough shape but I could be mistaken.

Thanks

Edit: I've added Muncie to my list for comparison's sake. Thanks.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Mar 23, 15 15:10
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead: venue, bike course condition [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my first 70.3. I always heard the roads are pretty bad, so I plan to make a trip up north to pre-ride the course.

In the mean time, I'm purposely spending some good TT bike on bumpy roads.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead: venue, bike course condition [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm thinking about changing my schedule up a bit and doing Ironman 70.3 Racine instead of Steelhead which I've done in the past. I really love Steelhead, it's an awesome race and an awesome venue. For those that have done both, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how they compare. Specifically, I'm interested to hear about the condition of Racine's bike course. I recall hearing that it was in rough shape but I could be mistaken.

Thanks

What age group?

----------------------------------------------------------------
my strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead: venue, bike course condition [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25-29. Last year before I move up.

Edit: if I'm in your age group, there's a chance that I'll beat you to T2 but I'm not much of a runner. I would be thrilled to average an 8:30 pace for the run.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Mar 23, 15 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, the bike course is only rough in the beginning and end. I live in the chicagoland area, so I am use to bad road conditions. The bulk of the course was great and relatively smooth. However, it was not fun away to end the ride. I did see a lot of bottles launched, and my friend lost his rear hydration setup (bolts came loose. I think his LBS forgot to use threadlock).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can only speak on behalf of racine...i just did this one this past summer. I have to say the roads are pretty shitty for the first 5-6mi and last 5-6mi....its pretty flat not much to it. some decent scenery, farms and stuff. wind can be pretty rough on one stretch of road near the highway where you are parallel forget where in the race that is...there are also a million turns on that course. its hard to get into a groove going in aero, coming out to handle a turn, back in, dodging other people on the course. run will get hot, not that hilly. swim is cold as fuck... or could be warm and youll have 10 foot waves. i personally wouldnt do that course again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done both races. I def liked steelhead better- better venue, better bike and run course. Racine is not bad though. Venue is nice and easy to get around. Bike is rough for the first bit and end due to expansion cracks. Rest is pretty flat but gets crowed due to the turns and a few sections that are tight like the highway section where you are coned in. Run is okay- two out and backs with limited shade. Personally, if I had to choose one I would do steelhead over Racine all day long.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead: venue, bike course condition [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Quite a few turns.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead: venue, bike course condition [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy515 wrote:
Done both races. I def liked steelhead better- better venue, better bike and run course. Racine is not bad though. Venue is nice and easy to get around. Bike is rough for the first bit and end due to expansion cracks. Rest is pretty flat but gets crowed due to the turns and a few sections that are tight like the highway section where you are coned in. Run is okay- two out and backs with limited shade. Personally, if I had to choose one I would do steelhead over Racine all day long.

Thanks. Yeah I love Steelhead but I'd like to be able to go to AG nationals. I'm adding Muncie to the thread title as that would work for me as well.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Mar 23, 15 15:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's too bad challenge/rev3 got rid of rev3 Wisconsin in the dells- awesome/challenging course and was in late June.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead vs Muncie: venue, bike course condition [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did all three last year. Racine by far has the worst road conditions. I also made the mistake of not pre-driving the course, and I think I lost a bit of time because there were a million turns, many with holes and gravel, so I had to take them very cautiously. If you do Racine, definitely pre-drive the course...several times if possible! I preferred Muncie's bike course out of the three because there were maybe five corners and three turnarounds, otherwise you just put your head down and push as hard as you can. I do a lot of riding on the indoor trainer, so the less technical the better. Muncie had a couple of rough stretches, but about 45 miles worth of the course is done on a decently smooth highway, that has a lot of room to avoid cracks and potholes when they arrive. Racine on the other hand in many instances it was unavoidable. I also liked Muncie because it was in a smaller lake, so the chances of large waves are drastically reduced. Both Muncie and Racine I'd say are fairly similar run courses. Muncie might have a few more hills.

http://www.lsanderstri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead vs Muncie: venue, bike course condition [LSandersTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fairness, LSandersTri did kinda okay at all 3 races.

Racine isn't that bad. Ensure you have a comfy saddle and some ceegees and you'll be just fine princess.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead vs Muncie: venue, bike course condition [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - Mr. Sanders is the ONLY Professional Triathlete that ever won all three IRONMAN 70.3 Mid-West Races in one year - Muncie, Racine and Steelhead! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
25-29. Last year before I move up.

Edit: if I'm in your age group, there's a chance that I'll beat you to T2 but I'm not much of a runner. I would be thrilled to average an 8:30 pace for the run.

I'm 28 so I welcome your competition :)

I haven't signed up for racine yet but I'm planning on it just because it's so close to me. I live ~20 min away.

----------------------------------------------------------------
my strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead vs Muncie: venue, bike course condition [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you aren't married to an M-dot race Im a big fan of Door County Half. Bike is pretty flat and fast, the run is a tough one but the course and event are well done. Its sold out but as the race draws closer you will see people transferring their bibs, I think I got one for like $150 last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done all three. I am planning to do Steelhead and Muncie again this year. I refuse to do Racine due to the rough roads, which stinks because I live in Chicago and it is close.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead vs Muncie: venue, bike course condition [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
If you aren't married to an M-dot race Im a big fan of Door County Half. Bike is pretty flat and fast, the run is a tough one but the course and event are well done. Its sold out but as the race draws closer you will see people transferring their bibs, I think I got one for like $150 last year.

You lost me at "the run is a tough one". :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead vs Muncie: venue, bike course condition [TriFloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
I have done all three. I am planning to do Steelhead and Muncie again this year. I refuse to do Racine due to the rough roads, which stinks because I live in Chicago and it is close.

If Racine is rough by Chicago standards I'm out :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
TriFloyd wrote:

It's for sure rough in the start/end, but anyone who says they refuse to do it again because of that needs to suck it up :) Seriously, it's not that bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead vs Muncie: venue, bike course condition [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
TriFloyd wrote:

It's for sure rough in the start/end, but anyone who says they refuse to do it again because of that needs to suck it up :) Seriously, it's not that bad.

So much this^^^.....the main stretch out of and back into town is a little rough, but it is just frost heave. Hardly dangerous or the Midwest equivalent of cobblestones. The problem is that since it is the last leg of the bike that is the roughest, people remember it more.

The rest of the course is good to excellent, with a few rough spots....but nothing that is atypical for normal Midwest roads.

Haven't done Steelhead or Muncie, so can't compare....but people really need to get a grip about the bike course in Racine. It ain't that bad.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have done all three (Racine, Steelhead and Muncie). I have done Steelhead and Muncie multiple times and have only done Racine once. All three are great races. Muncie can be a fast bike but a brutal run (hills, heat and humidity). Since you have done Steelhead I will not go into detail about that. Racine is a good race, I am thinking about going back this year. There were portions of the bike course that were rough when I did it (2013 I think). But all in all it was not that bad. If I had to choose between the three, for me its a coin flip. They all seem to be equal to me.

I personally do not that think that you will be let down if you give Racine a shot this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine vs Steelhead vs Muncie: venue, bike course condition [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me preface this by saying I did the race in 2012 had a terrible day, it was hot and humid and I felt like crap...but. I would say that the worst part of the bike course for me was the chip sealed roads with the cracks every 10 yards so it was a constant "thump, thump, thump". I am from Chicago so I am used to dodging and riding through pot holes and crappy roads but the cracks were what really got me. I really enjoy Steelhead and Muncie though. I've done both twice and like Steelhead more but debating going to Muncie this year instead of Steelhead. But the fact that midwest summers can bring extreme heat makes me a bit nervous about Muncie since I did it in 2013 when it was wetsuit legal so no doubt it will be 110 degrees if I go this year.

Power13 wrote:
apbadger wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
TriFloyd wrote:

So much this^^^.....the main stretch out of and back into town is a little rough, but it is just frost heave. Hardly dangerous or the Midwest equivalent of cobblestones. The problem is that since it is the last leg of the bike that is the roughest, people remember it more.

The rest of the course is good to excellent, with a few rough spots....but nothing that is atypical for normal Midwest roads.

Haven't done Steelhead or Muncie, so can't compare....but people really need to get a grip about the bike course in Racine. It ain't that bad.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done each multiple times. Best to worst for me would be Steelhead > Racine > Muncie. I think the bad roads at Racine are being over blown. A lot of the course is good, just some rough areas. Like someone else said, one of the bad areas is late in the race so you remember it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do Racine most years, while you get cranky at the end becuase of the bumps....generally I think not bad. Heat on the run bothers me more......and all three of these races are subject to that based on the weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone planning on doing Muncie gets 2 shots at the swim and run course before the big race in July...Muncie May 9 and the USAT Regionals June 6...obviously same lake, transition area and run course, bike is near perfect 20.2k lap around the lake ....May is 75% full and June is 50%...don't wait!

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next