Who's in for this?

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Last edited by: Ga Tri Coach: Dec 3, 15 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [Ga Tri Coach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So its a one year trial?

Sounds like they don't have the sheriff's support with concerns to traffic and safety.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Might be the 70.3 version of IMNY.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...-head-in-2016_123150
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
East coast...Oct....What could go wrong?
See IM MD.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [mroger82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If memory serves, Hilton Head was the venue for the old USTS championships lo those many years ago, right around this time frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's correct. I was supposed to race it in 1988 or 1989 but Hurricane Hugo (I believe) caused cancellation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right in my back yard, I'll be in for this one
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't read into the article that is just a one year trial. I'm focusing on this: "The first of five annual autumn races will be held late October 2016." Sounds like the typical 5 year contract, but I'm sure there is an out for WTC if it isn't profitable.

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/...1.html#storylink=cpy
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [pricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pricardo wrote:
That's correct. I was supposed to race it in 1988 or 1989 but Hurricane Hugo (I believe) caused cancellation.

Not quite, it got rescheduled in early November. Awesome race. Dave Scott, Scott Tinley, Scott Molina (I think), ... All of my idols.

I think that may have been the last time I was in HHI, so I'm naturally obligated to return to do this race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It says late October. Anyone have insight to which weekend? Strange that this was published and no announcement from Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
It says late October. Anyone have insight to which weekend? Strange that this was published and no announcement from Ironman.

IMO it's not "official" until you hear something from Messick's twitter or Ironman's website.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like the making of a nice one if the weather permits. However, I thought there were sharks off Hilton Head?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In response to "which weekend will it be in October"....from the guy who wrote the article. Still think it will happen....but it doesn't sound like details are ironed out. Of course this is all speculation.

Zach Murdock ‏@IPBG_Zach 2h2 hours ago
Zach Murdock Retweeted Mike Alexander
Sorry, no dice. @IRONMANtri global race dir says he'll revisit the details w/ @HHIBChamber after Kona championship.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
pricardo wrote:

Not quite, it got rescheduled in early November. Awesome race. Dave Scott, Scott Tinley, Scott Molina (I think), ... All of my idols.

I think that may have been the last time I was in HHI, so I'm naturally obligated to return to do this race.

I'll second that USTS-Hilton Head was an awesome race! 1989 was the year it got postponed from September to November, which was good for me because I hadn't originally qualified but when they rescheduled they opened the field to other people who had done USTS races that season. Pretty rough swim that day, strong currents, or maybe I just can't swim a straight line in the ocean. Swim was go out 100m, swim 1300m parallel to the beach, then 100m back in to end. Good bike and run loops, the bike turned around just over the bridge whereas I see the 70.3 bike course is set to go a lot further onto the mainland. Top 5 men got DQ'd that day...Riccitello, Lance, can't remember the other 3. Nice venue for a race/vacation, I stuck around for a few days afterwards chilling out.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sharks. Yes. Swimming with my kids ......palmetto dunes.......august 2015....guard told us to get out. Two sharks within 40 feet.
Advice had always been ...not to swim around dusk or dawn.
I was going to sign up ....until this occurred a month ago.
The lifeguards said it happens all the time. Sharks

Is this keeping anyone else from signing up?

Should ensure a swim PR ....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [Berri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are sharks in the ocean?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes odd nothing official from ironman spokesman
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dolphins too. we've been many times and have seen many more dolphins than sharks.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will affect Augusta 70.3 enrollment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:

I think Ironman needs the extra capacity. Augusta sold out with 3400 participants. They need a race for people to enter once Augusta sells out.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
winchester wrote:

I think Ironman needs the extra capacity. Augusta sold out with 3400 participants. They need a race for people to enter once Augusta sells out.

I'd prob race HHI. That's a beautiful place. I can't see it supporting anything close to Augusta levels, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
winchester wrote:

I'd prob race HHI. That's a beautiful place. I can't see it supporting anything close to Augusta levels, though.
people flock to Augusta because of the super fast swim time, I think you could float down and still get out of the water under 40min. I think Hilton Head will do well, it has a strong history with triathlon and the Island is a tourist hot spot already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely in. My parents live there so free lodging and I got married at the Westin there 6 years ago so my wife will want to go. It'll be a fast bike and run, flat and lower temps. Lots to do with the family pre/post race, just waiting for a date!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike C wrote:
If memory serves, Hilton Head was the venue for the old USTS championships lo those many years ago, right around this time frame.

I still got the finishers golf shirt from '86 (somewhere).

I sucked so bad. but met some great people. it was a great growth experience for me.

I don't remember much, but the ocean swim could be awesome for a 70.3

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Hilton Head SC -- It's Official [triterp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast bike & run for sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 year deal.