Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman & HB2
Quote | Reply
Transfers out of IM70.3 Raleigh or IMNC/IMNC 70.3 because of NC House Bill 2......Discuss.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: May 5, 16 14:45
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can no longer race Raleigh so this works out in my favor. No moral high ground for me. Purely a selfish transfer to save me $300.

Oddly enough, my gay brother is still doing the Raleigh race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't affect or bother me from racing point of view (I disagree with the bill personally), but seeing as when I registered for Ironman North Carolina 70.3/Beach2Battleship back when I was living in Georgia and having recently moved to California for a job, I'm thinking of taking advantage of this opportunity to transfer to Santa Cruz 70.3 to avoid the hassle of having to travel cross country, time zones and also save some dough.

So... thanks North Carolina legislature?
Last edited by: gtg007w: May 5, 16 16:19
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [gtg007w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Santa Cruz and Austin are the only options that work out for me as far as dates are concerned.

I live 150 miles from the Austin race but it's a terrible bike course and I hate it.

Santa Cruz would cost me a lot of money, has a cold ass swim, and is two weeks before the Augusta 70.3.

First world whiny bitch problems. I get it. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Transfers out of IM70.3 Raleigh or IMNC/IMNC 70.3 because of NC House Bill 2......Discuss.

Undecided about transfer since I've had little time to consider. I disagree with the bill but it's a slippery slope of evaluating a state's political positions every time I want to race. But I'm definitely considering it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I considered Austin since it's a bit later and Santa Cruz will mean I need to start training earlier (in like a week or so for 16 week program)...

So the bike course is bad in Austin huh? I'm not a fan of cold swim, so that's a factor I need to consider too. I did read that it ends indoors and that sounded pretty cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't like what to me seems like a purely political move. How many Q3 or Q4 full distances are even open at this point? What about any of the races in the Middle East, or any other place where they wouldn't even dream of this type of loophole? Do people get to defer from that too??

"What do you mean your running shoes don't match your bike?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So WTC is allowing transfers for people who don't want to go to NC due to HB2?

Good for them. If I was racing, I would have skipped it and eaten the registration fee anyway.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gtg007w wrote:
I considered Austin since it's a bit later and Santa Cruz will mean I need to start training earlier (in like a week or so for 16 week program)...

So the bike course is bad in Austin huh? I'm not a fan of cold swim, so that's a factor I need to consider too. I did read that it ends indoors and that sounded pretty cool.

Just search ST about the Austin 70.3 and you'll see the unflattering reviews of the race. The roads are that bad. The rest of the race is fine. Decent swim, wetsuit legal but always close to the limit so probably 72-75 degrees. The run is tough but not brutal like Syracuse. There are two transition areas which makes logistics a little more difficult but it wasn't bad. There are zero hotels near the race site but traffic in and out wasn't that bad. The bike course is just awful.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
So WTC is allowing transfers for people who don't want to go to NC due to HB2?

Good for them. If I was racing, I would have skipped it and eaten the registration fee anyway.

^^^^This.

Not racing their either, but cancelled a family vacation to NC due to HB2.

We'll see how long HB2 lasts though. The feds are looking at withholding federal education $$$ ($4.2B) due to non-compliance with Titles VII and IX.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
gtg007w wrote:

Just search ST about the Austin 70.3 and you'll see the unflattering reviews of the race. The roads are that bad. The rest of the race is fine. Decent swim, wetsuit legal but always close to the limit so probably 72-75 degrees. The run is tough but not brutal like Syracuse. There are two transition areas which makes logistics a little more difficult but it wasn't bad. There are zero hotels near the race site but traffic in and out wasn't that bad. The bike course is just awful.

But Raleigh and IMNC/IMNC 70.3 are also a 2 transition races.....

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: May 5, 16 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either they change it to "Iron", or I am going to be triggered as fuck. So sick of the sexist bullshit at WTC.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [OCD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IRON HOMO SAPIENS

Should I go ahead and trademark that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
gtg007w wrote:

But Raleigh and IMNC/IMNC 70.3 are also a 2 transition races.....

Good point. Like I said, the Austin split transition isn't that big a deal. The bike course sucks donkey balls.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really?? Says "homo". Won't fly

"IronXe"

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [japarker24] - Oh! Boy! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in North Carolina, and I'm planing to stay in the Raleigh Half. I don't plan to let Pat McCrory and his cronies ruin my fun, and all the work of the organizers - it's not their fault. I love this state, and hope those guys would stop being such bigots. It's sad to think that HB2 would have such an effect, but I don't blame anyone who pulls out to pull down HB2.
Disappointing stuff, but that's life.
Should I pull out?
I hadn't thought about it until I read this post, a minute ago - I had better think this through.
Thanks for making me think.
kevin aka FitOldDog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the transfer email stated:
Quote:

Athletes who are registered for IRONMAN 70.3 Raleigh can transfer for free into any open 2016 North American IRONMAN 70.3 event taking place prior to December 31, 2016.

Then there's a registration link that lists:
2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Hawaii (June 4)
2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Eagleman (June 12)
2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Victoria (June 12)
2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Syracuse (June 19)
2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Coeur d'Alene (June 26)
2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie (July 9)
2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Racine (July 17)
2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Steelhead (August 14)
2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Timberman (August 21)
2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Santa Cruz (September 11)
2016 IRONMAN 70.3 Austin (October 30)

Yet when I go to the Ironman website and search for open 70.3's in North America there are several other open races: Buffalo Springs, Muskoka, Calgary, Whistler, Superfrog, Cozumel, Tempe, Miami, Cabo.

I get some of those are licensed races not owned by WTC but many are not.
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 5, 16 17:24
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago, I competed in IM FL 70.3 in Haines City, FL. Immediately after the US National Anthem, as all athletes were gathered for the swim start, the Mayor of the City spoke briefly and announced that we were all racing in the name of “jesus christ our lord.” This is not the first time such a blatant Christian invocation has been made immediately prior to the start of a North American IRONMAN event in which I participated. The United States of America (last time I checked) is NOT a religious state. I do not believe that jesus is my lord, and I am offended that ANY religious belief or prayer is included in the opening ceremonies of WTC events.

It is the responsibility of the announcer and/or the race organizer to inform the Mayor or other “guest” speaker that NO RELIGIOUS REFERENCES are to be made to athletes.

WTC has laudably taken a stand on transgendered equality ("IRONMAN is an all-inclusive sport and we will continue to always provide an arena for all individuals to pursue their goals and dreams of becoming an IRONMAN” — e-mail to Raleigh 70.3 athletes today). Religious freedoms are equally defensible and respect for all athletes’ RELIGIOUS beliefs should be guarded with equal fortitude by IRONMAN.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [mtcole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtcole wrote:
A few weeks ago, I competed in IM FL 70.3 in Haines City, FL. Immediately after the US National Anthem, as all athletes were gathered for the swim start, the Mayor of the City spoke briefly and announced that we were all racing in the name of “jesus christ our lord.” This is not the first time such a blatant Christian invocation has been made immediately prior to the start of a North American IRONMAN event in which I participated. The United States of America (last time I checked) is NOT a religious state. I do not believe that jesus is my lord, and I am offended that ANY religious belief or prayer is included in the opening ceremonies of WTC events.

It is the responsibility of the announcer and/or the race organizer to inform the Mayor or other “guest” speaker that NO RELIGIOUS REFERENCES are to be made to athletes.

WTC has laudably taken a stand on transgendered equality ("IRONMAN is an all-inclusive sport and we will continue to always provide an arena for all individuals to pursue their goals and dreams of becoming an IRONMAN” — e-mail to Raleigh 70.3 athletes today). Religious freedoms are equally defensible and respect for all athletes’ RELIGIOUS beliefs should be guarded with equal fortitude by IRONMAN.

So you believe you're entitled to freedom from religion? But then you believe all religious beliefs should be protected and guarded? I don't get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was clear. All religious beliefs should be respected in this country, by referencing/praying to none of them at an athletic event.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
mtcole wrote:

So you believe you're entitled to freedom from religion? But then you believe all religious beliefs should be protected and guarded? I don't get it.

There is nothing contradictory in those stances.....I am not a particularly religious individual and I prefer not to have others beliefs foisted upon me, but I believe that they should have every right to practice their religion as they see fit (as long as they aren't pushing their beliefs on others).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Quote:

Athletes who are registered for IRONMAN 70.3 Raleigh can transfer for free into any open 2016 North American IRONMAN 70.3 event taking place prior to December 31, 2016.

Yet when I go to the Ironman website and search for open 70.3's in North America there are several other open races: Buffalo Springs, Muskoka, Calgary, Whistler, Superfrog, Cozumel, Tempe, Miami, Cabo.

Based on this and the IMTX transfer thread, it's pretty clear that WTC doesn't understand that North America consists of more than the United States.

This thread also confirms that they don't understand that Hawaii is NOT located in North America.

Geography is hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Quote:

Based on this and the IMTX transfer thread, it's pretty clear that WTC doesn't understand that North America consists of more than the United States.

This thread also confirms that they don't understand that Hawaii is NOT located in North America.

Geography is hard.

I'm confused by your statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman & HB2 [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Quote:

Geography is hard.

Victoria is in Canada so they do have one non-US race on the list.

Buff Springs, Miami, Cozumel, and Cabo are licensed races. Maybe Calgary too. So I get that maybe they don't have the agreements in place for a no-cost transfer. That stated, most people probably don't know that.

I also get why SuperFrog isn't on the list.

I have no idea why Muskoka, Whistler, and Tempe are not included.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I can no longer race Raleigh so this works out in my favor. No moral high ground for me. Purely a selfish transfer to save me $300.

Oddly enough, my gay brother is still doing the Raleigh race.

Well that makes me feel like less of a hypocrite. I hate the NC law, but no other races fit in my schedule or are geographically convenient. Plus, this is my first IM, the swim is my weakest leg, and since I know several people who say it is the easiest IM swim they have done, I selfishly want to do this specific race.

We will just not spend any extra time there, because that gives NC more of our money.

Do you think the port-a-potties on race day are going to be gender specific? We wouldn't want to break the law, now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next