Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman- Once off Bucket List then Retire
Quote | Reply
I trained and raced triathlon and endurance events for 6-7 years on and off.

For the last couple of years I've had to stop the sport due to chronic adrenal fatigue, however I'm now slowly getting back into cycle commuting and gym work.

I never completed an ironman and the goal has alluded me, I think I just want to do an ironman once to tick it off and get the monkey off my back and put the issue to rest so to speak.

The idea and time commitment of getting back into triathlon for the long term doesn't appeal for my life stage (plan to start a family in 3-4 years) so thinking the next 2-3 years is my shot before kids come along.

Anyone else done ironman for the bucket list then really eased off or done something else after.

It's such a big goal I've had for almost the past decade and don't want to leave it until it's too late.

I'm 28 years old now.
Last edited by: epower: Jan 11, 17 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman- Once off Bucket List then Retire [epower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you just want to do one and finish it in the alloted 17 hours then put in about 20mpw running, 50mpw cycling and 1-2 hours in the pool a week until the race. You'll suck and the race day will suck for you but you'll finish and get your nice medal and shirt for bragging rights. Don't forget your Mdot tattoo after.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello epower and All,

I would not worry ..... you still have about 52 years or so to 'git'er done' ....

The kids leave when they grow up .....

Take care of your general health and you will be fine ....

Hang in there for the long haul .....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
epower wrote:

For the last couple of years I've had to stop the sport due to chronic adrenal fatigue, however I'm now slowly getting back into cycle commuting and gym work.

I never completed an ironman and the goal has alluded me, I think I just want to do an ironman once to tick it off and get the monkey off my back and put the issue to rest so to speak.

The idea and time commitment of getting back into triathlon for the long term doesn't appeal for my life stage (plan to start a family in 3-4 years) so thinking the next 2-3 years is my shot before kids come along.

Anyone else done ironman for the bucket list then really eased off or done something else after.

It's such a big goal I've had for almost the past decade and don't want to leave it until it's too late.

I'm 28 years old now.

my plan is to do an Ironman this year and then just do HIM and shorter distances. I enjoy the training but for full distance it's especially taxing. Even HIM is a lot of work. I've done 3 HIMs. Long term I'd rather do sprints and olympics with an maybe an HIM once a year at most. I just enjoy a much more flexible training schedule which would allow me to stay in shape enough to do sprints and olympics without as structured of a training plan. Not saying I'd be podium in those but just enjoy them. I feel like HIM I need a little more structure in order not to suffer quite as much on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
epower wrote:

I'm 28 years old now.

Honestly, I know some athletes that have done Ironman on little to no training. It might take you a really long time to finish it, but if you were triathlete for 6-7 years you could probably done one pretty easily if just to finish.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
epower wrote:

I'm 28 years old now.

28 as well here, and I'm in the same camp. I love triathlons in general and plan to keep doing sprints, olys and the odd 70.3 for the foreseeable future but the siren song of the full distance is calling, and with a kiddo on the way I know my free time will soon become very limited.

I'm going to suffer through a full this year (and it will likely be a slow affair, getting more than 8-10 hrs of training a week has been a struggle lately) then go back to the short(er) course stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you just ride 120-140km and see what time you can do it in? If you can swim 3.8k in say 90-100 mins and ride at a 25kph average, you have sufficient time to walk most of the marathon and finish with plenty of time (choose a fast course - Arizona, Florida, Barcelona or Copenhagen or some such).

I don't think just finishing is really much of a challenge, especially since you seem to have some degree of experience in triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I drop in an out. I did a few IMs in the late 2000s, dropped out for a few years after my first daughter was born, dropped back in for a destination IM in 2010, then out again for another couple of years (first son), then came back in 2012 for another destination, then did a few a year in 2013 and 2014. This year will be last IM for a while as it's getting a bit much since the other kids came along.

2010 and 2012 were done on around 5-8 hours a week training for a couple of months off a background of 30-35 mile running weeks. I won't lie - the last 20 miles on the bike sucked, and the last half of the run really sucked, but I enjoyed the day overall (and ended up being about the same time as when I was training more, back in 2000s. Go figure). Nowadays I'll do around 10 hours average for 4 months prior to race day, but as I say, it's getting tricky balancing.

What did I do when not doing IM? A some sprint tris, a few running events, a bit of biking, whatever took my fancy. I mostly spent my time concentrating on my career and family. I'll probably do the same again this time.

Anyways, you're young (yes, you are), and triathlon isn't going to disappear, so you've got lots of time if you do fancy coming back

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman- Once off Bucket List then Retire [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is such a tough call for me. I finished my first IM back in 2013 and it was easily one of the best days of my life; I enjoyed the experience immensely. However, the training was very taxing and for awhile there I felt very selfish with my time (and I'm single!). I can't imagine if I had a family to consider. In my mind I want to do another one. For that matter, a round number of "3" full IMs sounds nice to me. I just gotta figure out when/if.

That said, I've consistently done 70.3s in the past few years and actually did 2 last year. The training for a 70.3 seems to sit real well with my current level of commitments. I also am now keen on doing destination 70.3s and I did one last year in Austin, TX and next year I will be in Boulder.

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
epower wrote:

I'm doing it this year. I was a long time bike racer, then marathon runner, went through a tri phase (sprints and HIM), then back to marathoning, then just xfit/gym for last couple years. When I was doing triathlon before I wasn't' really training correctly, and I've always wanted to do an IM with good preparation to see if I can marry my cycling and running to get a good result. Giving it a go this year. I promised my wife it wouldn't become a habit, which has helped her be supportive of my pretty aggressive training schedule.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a very similar situation. I have trained consistently for the past 4 years. I raced a lot over those 4 years but never anything longer than a generic 1/3 iron and half marathon. I recently moved to Wisconsin and now live 2 miles off the IM WI bike course. I decided a couple months back that this year would probably be the only year for the foreseeable future I could make IM work (1 young child and more planned).

As it relates to finding time for training, I'm very lucky to have a pool literally next door to my office building so swimming is easy enough. During the week it's early mornings, lunch breaks, and/or late nights for workouts typically in the pain cave.

I'm planning a run focus for an April marathon and then an IM build with an HIM in July. We'll see how it all goes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Most people.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman- Once off Bucket List then Retire [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one day i staged a 70.3 near by with my own timing , maps and aid stations set up, did it with a buddy, goal was just to finish, and did that at about 6 hours (lat tire). then it got in my head and i though hell why not... extended the course and did my own ironman. thankfully wife was there for t1 to bring my swim stuff home. t2 was at home where i did laps around the block for the 26.2. i finished before sunset in 13 or so hours. and for both 'events' saved a shit ton of money to prove i could finish. then when i had time goals, actually did sign up for a 140.6 where i did 10:54

my wife also did a simulation 2 weeks before roth to learn what nutrition needs , etc are. she finished in 13 hours. at roth, she did 11:45 (had bad flu day before, could have went sub 11)

https://coupleofathletes.wordpress.com/...official-man-report/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason I ran my first ever marathon when I was 28 years old was just so I could cross it off my bucket list and be done with it. Funny how things worked out.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman- Once off Bucket List then Retire [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm stepping up to full IM this year after doing 6 x 70.3 in the past 6 years. I finally trained 'properly' for my last HIM, with daily training up to around 8 hours per week, and managed a 'decent' time - around 50 mins off my previous PB. That's convinced me I can step up to the full distance (will aim for 10-12 hours per week for 6 months) and it's probably going to be one and done.

After that I'll probably go back to one HIM and one full marathon a year to keep me ticking over - allows me some quieter months after each race before stepping up the training for the next one. I'm also not too bothered about time, just trying to avoid suffering too much (sub 4 marathon and sub 6 HIM). Would aim for sub 13 full IM.

I'm 44 with two school aged kids btw, so at 28, you have plenty of time. Go for it then see how it feels, but I'll wager you do many more after the first!

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman- Once off Bucket List then Retire [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Once you have a maintainable base fitness in the 3 sports, it's not a huge jump to 'complete' an Ironman inside 17h.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
epower wrote:

I'm 28 years old now.

You seem overly worried about this. I get the Ironman is a big deal to people, it was to me before I did my first (4X now).

Everyone's experience is there own, but unless you have a job where you work 70+ hours a week (and have to go into office on weekends) or some other super time-consuming activities/hobbies that you're committed to..., at 28 with no kids, you are honestly in the time of your life when you have the MOST control of your schedule. So go for it!

I don't believe most people are too busy to train for an Ironman - if they really want to. I can say from experience: demanding job, lots of business travel, kids and wife who I adore... I can always find 10-15 hours a week to train if I want to. It might not follow an ideal training plan, it might suck for me to wake up super early, but I can find those hours.

So race an IM now. And do another 10 years from now. And 10 years after that. It's all possible.

What has Nike always said? Yeah, Just...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman- Once off Bucket List then Retire [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
at 28 with no kids, you are honestly in the time of your life when you have the MOST control of your schedule. So go for it!

Ha yes, most of us look back & think how much time we actually had on our hands in those days, but wasted it! Seize the day.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman- Once off Bucket List then Retire [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xatefrogg wrote:
If you just want to do one and finish it in the alloted 17 hours then put in about 20mpw running, 50mpw cycling and 1-2 hours in the pool a week until the race. You'll suck and the race day will suck for you but you'll finish and get your nice medal and shirt for bragging rights. Don't forget your Mdot tattoo after.
You can possibly have a race that doesn't suck on that many hours - especially if you're late 20s, early 30s. I was already planning a relatively light training volume for my first race last year but then work, illness and other issues got in the way and it ended up VERY light. I maxed at about 12hrs a week but the vast majority of my lead up was only about 7-8hrs a week, most of that spent on the bike and almost zero swimming until the last month. Not ideal and I was slower than planned but still managed 13hrs with no injuries and was in good shape afterwards. I was 40 when I did it. Would have been considerably easier 10 years younger, I suspect.

To the OP: Don't panic. You're only 28 - you've all the time in the world! Do it now if now suits you, but don't feel under pressure to do it unless you really want to. Besides, no point doing it if you don't feel the enthusiasm, just to get a "monkey off your back". In another few years if you've given up triathlon you will probably no longer care if you did an Ironman. If you're still a triathlete, and feel the enthusiasm, you'll find a way to do it then...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman- Once off Bucket List then Retire [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Xatefrogg wrote:
You can possibly have a race that doesn't suck on that many hours - especially if you're late 20s, early 30s. I was already planning a relatively light training volume for my first race last year but then work, illness and other issues got in the way and it ended up VERY light. I maxed at about 12hrs a week but the vast majority of my lead up was only about 7-8hrs a week, most of that spent on the bike and almost zero swimming until the last month. Not ideal and I was slower than planned but still managed 13hrs with no injuries and was in good shape afterwards. I was 40 when I did it. Would have been considerably easier 10 years younger, I suspect.

To the OP: Don't panic. You're only 28 - you've all the time in the world! Do it now if now suits you, but don't feel under pressure to do it unless you really want to. Besides, no point doing it if you don't feel the enthusiasm, just to get a "monkey off your back". In another few years if you've given up triathlon you will probably no longer care if you did an Ironman. If you're still a triathlete, and feel the enthusiasm, you'll find a way to do it then...

Agreed, a buddy of mine just went about 12 hours while being in the sport for 6 months or so. Full was his first race. A bit of a special athlete I'm sure but he never cycled before. I started last April in triathlon, swam in high school and never ran much. I have come to the realization that I just enjoy staying in good shape and training. I don't think I enjoy racing all that much. I am undecided on doing a full this year but if I do it will likely be my only race.
Quote Reply