Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman's New Website
Quote | Reply
I'm sure many of you visit the Ironman.com website as well as SlowTwitch.com, so I was wondering your opinion of the new website. It looks nicer, but is rather terrible in the user-friendly department and it has a ton of bugs in it. I am rather dissapointed that IM switched to the new format without fixing what appear to be rather obvious problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder which genius at WTC thinks that South Africa is part of Europe...

----
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hilarious. I did not even notice that.

I can't stand the gray font for articles on a gray background. The website has been up for weeks, but it was not until this week that the tabs on the home page started working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I for one am happy about the fact that Lance has his own tab. Makes it easier to get the information that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [JRenfro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the website has already driven me crazy multiple times. For instance, on a specific race's section of the website (eg. http://ironman.com/...ts/ironman/wisconsin ) it seems impossible to find a link to the event's specific website (eg. ironmanwisconsin.com). You would think this would be a pretty standard thing to link, but I sure haven't been about to find them for the events I've wanted- have had to go back to the Events page and find the links on there instead. But maybe I'm being dumb and missing something?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twitter | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [calbear08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are not missing something - we all are. I can't find links to the event websites either. The new website is horrible. And, you can't read the fonts on the black background unless you are at a home-based computer - reading it on portable devices (and in sunlight) is nearly impossible. Bad move. Hope they wake up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have done it differently, that's for sure!!

Because that place absolute chaos

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
I wonder which genius at WTC thinks that South Africa is part of Europe...

----

Sig line says it all.

----------------------------------------------------------

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life".
Zappa
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [wylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not just on portable devices. Gray text on a black background is just a plain, stupid decision. I guess they never heard of "form follows function." They think as long as it looks cool it doesn't matter if it's readable or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wylie wrote:
You are not missing something - we all are. I can't find links to the event websites either. The new website is horrible. And, you can't read the fonts on the black background unless you are at a home-based computer - reading it on portable devices (and in sunlight) is nearly impossible. Bad move. Hope they wake up.

And when you Google some of the race names, those Ironman.com pages come up first and not the race-specific one (like for IMLP). Argh! Just a horrible new site!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
calbear08 wrote:
Yeah the website has already driven me crazy multiple times. For instance, on a specific race's section of the website (eg. http://ironman.com/...ts/ironman/wisconsin ) it seems impossible to find a link to the event's specific website (eg. ironmanwisconsin.com). You would think this would be a pretty standard thing to link, but I sure haven't been about to find them for the events I've wanted- have had to go back to the Events page and find the links on there instead. But maybe I'm being dumb and missing something?

Spot on.

But it is very easy to find the LA links.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a web dev.

Yes the site looks nice. And they used some pretty cool CSS JS HTML5 dynamic latest and greatest stuff. It's cool. I'll have to see how they did some stuff, like clicking on a continent and having the list of races animate below.

But.

It is a usability nightmare. The site breaks the back browser button CONSTANTLY. Hit back and you end up on the previous page before you've made those dynamic content selections. So you need to start all over again. This can be solved with cookies. Or not breaking the back button in the first place by loading a new page when the user makes a selection.

I could criticize other things too.....

Also, blatant money grab with LA pasted all over everywhere. Sigh.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [KonaDreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is an obscene amount of information on that landing page. Honestly it looks like someone who just got into web design, designed this page. It doesn't appear that any thought went into page structure and layout. They simply grabbed the latest and greatest code and slapped it into a page. Oh, but it has pretty pictures and sh!t that moves, so that's cool

Serioulsy, it is just bad (imo)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that basically.

A tech savvy developer went to town and included every pet Web technology in there. The site is cool... if you are a developer geek. If you are a triathlete looking for information and you got 60 seconds on a computer in between what you were doing and what you are about to do, then not so much.

There's a whole lot more to designing a good web site besides the techie aspect of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [JRenfro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
I for one am happy about the fact that Lance has his own tab. Makes it easier to get the information that matters.

I thought you were only kidding about this, and then I just looked at their *new and improved* website and....wow, okay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After just finishing a race & trying to FIND (let alone actually view) the race results on my iPhone, I have to agree that the user-interface is terrible -- especially for mobile devices. New site looks snazzy, but if the functionality isn't there, why bother..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with everything said in this thread- that site is worthless if you are actually trying to sign up for a race. One would think that if WTC's site did ANYTHING correctly, it would be to provide a means for you to give them your money! Going forward I'll be sure to Google for a particular race, and scroll down the results to avoid any site that has http://www.ironman.com in the URL since I know I won't find anything of use there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
calbear08 wrote:

THIS!!! They obviously spent all their matches on technical doo-dads and forgot about the whole usability thing.. big fail. I work in IT and I swear the only site I ever seem to get lost in is ironman.com. I can never find what I'm looking for without having to click all over the place.

Maybe if they charged $1200 per race they could afford a decent web site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman.com is the most atrocious website user interface that I have ever come across. I can't count the number of times I've had a simple data request (today it was finding the date of the 2018 Honu 70.3 -- try it!) and have ended up leaving that site so incredibly frustrated with the ordeal they forced upon me and the time I consumed. Really! I've been in marketing in Silicon Valley for 25 years, and can tell you that if ANY company here tried to push that site on its customers, that web design team would be fired in a nanosecond.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [m1mulkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice to see nothing changed over the last six years.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m1mulkey wrote:
Ironman.com is the most atrocious website user interface that I have ever come across. I can't count the number of times I've had a simple data request (today it was finding the date of the 2018 Honu 70.3 -- try it!) and have ended up leaving that site so incredibly frustrated with the ordeal they forced upon me and the time I consumed. Really! I've been in marketing in Silicon Valley for 25 years, and can tell you that if ANY company here tried to push that site on its customers, that web design team would be fired in a nanosecond.

Step 1 - go to Ironman.com
Step 2 - put cursor on Races and click on Ironman 70.3
Step 3 - scroll down and read date of Honu 70.3 = Jun 2, 2018
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly don't love the ironman website, but it no where near as bad as he wants to make it out.

You don't even have to scroll, just click the location marker on Hawaii in the map at the top. Took me less than 30 seconds to get the date.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman's New Website [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
m1mulkey wrote:

Step 1 - go to Ironman.com
Step 2 - put cursor on Races and click on Ironman 70.3
Step 3 - scroll down and read date of Honu 70.3 = Jun 2, 2018

If one can't find a race date on the website, then, one has bigger problems than competing in a "half ironman." Silicon Valley does have many really smart people. I know a few.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m1mulkey wrote:

I did. What's the problem? Took about 2.7 seconds to find it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next