Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Iphone on HIM course
Quote | Reply
I'm doing my first HIM this weekend and my wife was hoping to have a way to track me during the race. I'm not hearing great things about the ironman live tracking, so I was considering carrying my Iphone in my tool bag on my bike and then she can use the "find my phone" app to track me. The run has several laps so I feel like the tracking is less important. I just found out about the athlete tracker GPS device but I don't have time to order one. It looks like it's against the rule to carry any sort of communication device.

Any advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [manitou820] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does she really need to know where you are?

GPS has to be visible to work. So tool bag might not work.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you do end up using your iphone, try 'glympse' (it's free) rather than find my phone
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtrik wrote:
Does she really need to know where you are?

GPS has to be visible to work. So tool bag might not work.

We have a two year old son and she would like to see my come into transition etc but doesn't want to be waiting around for a long time with my son. It's not the end of the world if she can't track me, but considering I have my phone with me on most training rides, I figure what's the big deal to leave it in the bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen penalties given out for even carrying iPhones or the like. If it's against the rules, I wouldn't do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it too hard to say, "Honey, I expect to be off the bike about 2:30 (or whatever) after I head out from T1"? Give or take x minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bt wrote:
Is it too hard to say, "Honey, I expect to be off the bike about 2:30 (or whatever) after I head out from T1"? Give or take x minutes.

Agreed. Barring unforeseen circumstances, within 10' is usually predictable.

Is the iphone for bike only? or run too?

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I've seen penalties given out for even carrying iPhones or the like. If it's against the rules, I wouldn't do it.

Alright, not worth it. I'll just give her time estimates like BT mentioned. It seems like with today's technology it should be pretty reasonable to allow people to carry phones for tracking purposes. I'm all for no music and talking on phones etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Austin's athlete guide clearly states that no cell phones are allowed on course.

Check your race's athlete guide / rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [ratherbeswimmin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in an IM race last year and there was this guy, in the race, chatting away on his cell phone during the run.

I am curious why this rule exists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is seriously challenged in navigational skills and she had no trouble finding me at mutliple points along the course the one time she came to a race. She never got a chance to try it again because I banned her after she kept yelling at me to pick it up on the run and showing up every time I wanted to walk for a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manitou820 wrote:

Any advice?

Don't do anything that you haven't done in training.
What happens if you put in your tool bag and go for a training ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can understand the desire to restrict communication with the athletes in the pointy end of the field (think race radio in TdF) but it seems to me they get that information regularly from spectators/friends anyway. Other than the safety issue of playing with your phone (not paying attention) or music (can't hear warnings, danger) I don't see what the issue is.

I wonder if this will change in time. Reminds me of golf courses. A lot of the high end courses here have had no cell phone policies forever from the perpective of minimizing interruptions and the opportunity for rudeness, but the proliferation of GPS smartphones with golf course apps has caused many of them to relax those rules. No phone calls (in theory) but you can use your phone's golf apps.
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
My wife is seriously challenged in navigational skills and she had no trouble finding me at mutliple points along the course the one time she came to a race. She never got a chance to try it again because I banned her after she kept yelling at me to pick it up on the run and showing up every time I wanted to walk for a bit.

HAHA...My wife did the same to me my last race. I did have a great race though.

I would have to agree with the other posters with regards to knowing your times. You aren't going to be more than +/- 10 mins from your expected times. Just write them down or SMS them to her so she doesn't forget.

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't Garmin have something that you can wear that will do this?

This may be what you could use (depending on budget restrictions): https://buy.garmin.com/...ID=387&pID=67686

twomarks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rules aside, I use the RunMeter app on my iPhone. It's GPS and tracks my workouts, paces, maps, calendars etc nicely. One feature is email notifications. I can set it up to email whoever at time or distance intervals.

At a recent half Mary, I set it up to email my wife every mile, then put the phone in my pocket. She got emails every mile, which included my pace and splits, so she knew just where I was.

It would also be nice on long solo rides or runs. Set it up to email every five miles or so. If I stop checking in, she knows where to start looking for me.

And nope, I'm not related to the company. I'm sure that other apps also do this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The two best apps, I have found are
1. cyclemeter
2. endomondo

You can use both on the bike and run or with a waterproof case on the swim also.

the both can connect to Ant+ devices with an adapter from wahoo fitness. even without that, it can track pace, speed, location, give you lap times, average pace, etc.

the best part is that cyclemeter will automatically update your twitter feed, facebook status, and/or email with updates on your location, pace, etc. it provides a link to a google map that people can look at. If you conncect your other devices, it can provide real world telemetry, such as power, cadence, HR, etc.

you can set it up so it updates your feed every X minutes, every X miles, etc. different feeds can be updated at different intervals.

It is a great app.

You can buy an armband strap, or put it on a run belt, and even mount it to your bike. It is not illegal, so long as you don't use the phone during the race or use it the iphone listen to music. It is no different than any of the other GPS devices people strap to their bikes or bodies. If used in the manner of a bike or run computer
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I wonder if this will change in time. Reminds me of golf courses. A lot of the high end courses here have had no cell phone policies forever from the perpective of minimizing interruptions and the opportunity for rudeness, but the proliferation of GPS smartphones with golf course apps has caused many of them to relax those rules. No phone calls (in theory) but you can use your phone's golf apps.

Half pink: You need to find yourself a nicer golf course. You can essentially do(or get away with) whatever you want if you're willing to pay enough money...

One time one of my dad's business partners invited me to play with him at a course that didn't have tee-times, greens fees, or a charge for range balls--it was so exclusive to begin with that you just showed up whenever you wanted, and smacked golf balls that were stacked in neat little pyramids onto a driving range that was manicured like the White House lawn while a golf pro told you how far you hit the ball and how your swing looked. Once you were warmed up, someone grabbed you a golf cart or two, and caddied for you. In the words of Ferris Bueller, "If you have the means...." Financially, joining this club is the equivalent of buying a new Escalade every year and just driving it off a freaking cliff. Personally, I'd rather just go somewhere that prohibits cellphones and actually enjoy playing golf the way it was meant to be played, but I wasn't about to turn down a free set of golf clubs and a chance to play at the nicest course in the state.

I shot something like a 110, while this 60 or 70 year-old dude basically hit par or one-over on every hole. It was embarrassing. #firstworldproblems

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [JRenfro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an interesting point. What if someone is using their Iphone as their bike computer? Would that be allowed? At this point I just created a quick sheet with expected times. I'm not risking a DQ for something as dumb as carrying my phone for my first HIM. Thanks for all the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always thought the rule was that you cannot USE a cell phone during the race. I assumed having it with you was not against the rules. I guess some clarification is in order.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An iPhone is classified as an Audio Device and as such the use - and even carrying one - is a violation of USAT rules - it is actually covered three times in the rules - but the two most common are 3.4i and 6.3... So even carrying one can lead to a Variable Time Penalty or even a DQ if the Head Ref deems the use of the phone led to or caused a dangerous situation.

Hope this helps.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be a little late to order since your race is this weekend, but you can try. Me and my girlfriend are thinking of renting these GPS devices for IM Florida this year so our friends and family members can either locate on the course, or those at home can see how bad she's kicking my butt! If you end up doing this option, let me know how it works out for you. From the website it looks like your wife can track you with this device through her or your Iphone.

http://www.myathletelive.com/

Good luck! What race are you doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
An iPhone is classified as an Audio Device and as such the use - and even carrying one - is a violation of USAT rules - it is actually covered three times in the rules - but the two most common are 3.4i and 6.3... So even carrying one can lead to a Variable Time Penalty or even a DQ if the Head Ref deems the use of the phone led to or caused a dangerous situation.

Hope this helps.

Not to beat a dead horse, but carrying the phone (not necessarily an iPhone) is not the same as using the phone.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [Rokko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rokko wrote:

At a recent half Mary, I set it up to email my wife every mile, then put the phone in my pocket. She got emails every mile, which included my pace and splits, so she knew just where I was.

It would also be nice on long solo rides or runs. Set it up to email every five miles or so. If I stop checking in, she knows where to start looking for me.

Do you check in every 8-10 minutes when you are work, too? Or out running errands? Are you on that tight a leash or is she actually interested in your splits?

I can see having something for long solo rides, but not checking in that often. Maybe every hour or two.
Last edited by: bt: Oct 19, 11 13:36
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bartturner wrote:
I was in an IM race last year and there was this guy, in the race, chatting away on his cell phone during the run.

I am curious why this rule exists.

Because it's annoying. :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next