Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interval Normalized power question
Quote | Reply
running a garmin 810 with a SRM specialized power meter. doing time trials. have a activity profile with auto pause OFF since i warm up on a trainer and without gps speed, you dont get a timer running or a normalized watts. so i warm up on the trainer, get off spin over to the start line, etc. i hit the lap button as we're right there at the line with 10seconds to go before my start time, and then off i go.
but i find that it shows a normalized wattage right away and its very low. i think its taking the last 30seconds of tooling aroun dnear the start line, puttering ot the line itself.

so the quesiton is, id like it so if i tear off at 370 watts for the first 2minutes, etc. it shows 370 as normalized at 30seconds and well, the first two minutes.
today i t was like 18o, 200, 210 240 and increased till it got up there, but it seemed to have some low numbers in there whacking up the averages.

i was thinking i could just, as i got to the start line, hit the stop/save button, save the file, and start a brand new file/recording and not hit start till the 10 seconcds before. i hit the lap/start when ther eis 10 seconds let to my taking off and i just deduct 10 seconds from my time as i get across the line so i know what my own time is (pending official time)
thoughts? ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Interval Normalized power question [spgtwice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First make sure you are displaying the NP for the lap, not the entire workout. I think I read somewhere too that it has to do with NP being calculated on a rolling 30 second power number. So right out of the gate there aren't enough data points and as the workout progresses the number starts going up. But either approach, using the lap feature or saving the workout/starting another, would work for your purposes.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Interval Normalized power question [spgtwice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you care? If you're doing a TT the NP is going to end up the same as your AP if you pace properly. How long is your TT?
Quote Reply
Re: Interval Normalized power question [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no exact correct on the two being exactly the same. depends on the course. yesterday's course was pretty linear but still had 5,6 turns which put in you off power for a bit, and then a surge back on.
if its a climb, you're going to be heavier on power on the climbs with the recovery after you're back up to full pace. i like NP as if my coach suggest that i should be able to handle 365 for the distance, and then gives me a good split strategy (basically , just harder by X% on climbs or into the wind), recover downhill or will a tailwind, then i just like to keep a loose eye on where i'm at so i dont under hit or over hit.
i also sometimes think it could be a cap which i dont want either. yesterday i won an event, fastest overall, but goofed the start and slipped a chain and had red mist for the first 1/2, was way over, but it worked like a charm and ended up setting a course record. so sometimes i wonder if all these data is a cap at times for someoen focused on power. but id still like to figure out the sceince behind my issue.

i put NP Lap and elapsed time lap etc.on the screen. i go with power, cadence, lap time, lap NP, and heart rate for my race screen. about all i need to know.

i dont mind if NP shows nothing for 30 seconds. my first 10, 12 is like full out blast, bike to full speed. then settle in but still real strong to get the bike to max velocity, then i find a groove.
what i have been seeing is OUT OF THE GATE if i glance down in the first 15, 20 (and i know a new file doesntshow anything till 30 seconds), i see a value and its like 180, 200, 210, 220 (grows) when ive been doing 360 to 380 for the first 30,40 seconds. so its taking in the zeros. my guess is i have to stop/save the previous and start fresh . but i wonder if those first 10 seconds of values come in.
ill test it today on my road bike.
Quote Reply