Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Internally Routed Front Discs
Quote | Reply
All these newfangled road-disc aero bikes got me thinking: why aren't there any truly internally routed forks for hydraulic front discs?

P5X and Andean "cheat" by having a custom, fully integrated front end, but they still have break line hanging out by the caliper and if they ever sell a down-spec frame without the beard/bayonet, you would end up with a front break line flapping in the breeze at the top end. Enve makes a cross fork that is internally routed from the crown down (is that mechanical only?), but I can't find a one that's integrated from the steerer tube to the caliper.

I think you could easily internally route a full hose from your head tube cap to a port by the caliper using something like a Rockshox TurnCoat top cap.

Alternatively, with a bit more development... One of the benefits of hydraulic over cables is similar to that of electronic shifting over cables: you can turn MUCH tighter corners with minimal (if any) loss of function. Why not integrate hose lining and threaded fittings directly into the fork? You could even use a banjo bolt as one of the caliper mounting bolts, so no need for hose anywhere by the caliper. Top end might be a bit trickier, but going from steerer to a hollow stem to hollow bars (or an integrated stem/bar), you could easily have a standard geometry front end with literally no hydraulic tubes exposed anywhere. Road or tri, you could have one threaded interface at the break lever, maybe one at the stem/steerer interface, and one at the caliper.

...just be sure to include my name on the patent...
Quote Reply
Re: Internally Routed Front Discs [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait for some new stiff coming out later this year.

Main issue is patents on steerer designs. Bmc have rectangle steerer patented.

Control tech patented hole in steerer abd have a road cockpit system ready but once it's assembled, it's like a madone or specialized venge vias and not easy to travel with.

My cockpit is under design with their fork patent which can have all cables hidden and ability to remove bars for travel.

Problem them is you must know your stack or you must rebuild to raise, lower position.
Quote Reply
Re: Internally Routed Front Discs [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
culpritbicycles wrote:
Wait for some new stiff coming out later this year.

Main issue is patents on steerer designs. Bmc have rectangle steerer patented.

Control tech patented hole in steerer abd have a road cockpit system ready but once it's assembled, it's like a madone or specialized venge vias and not easy to travel with.

My cockpit is under design with their fork patent which can have all cables hidden and ability to remove bars for travel.

Problem them is you must know your stack or you must rebuild to raise, lower position.

Yeah, the hole/interface in the steerer was the one NUD that occurred to me while I was writing my post. You could use some sort of secondary sleeve with the fitting or something like a star-fangled nut jammed closer to the crown. I have to believe that patenting just a hole in the steerer would be too broad to be defensible, but, a patent lawyer, I am not! :)
Quote Reply