Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Intermittent Fasting and Morning Workouts?
Quote | Reply
I am trying intermittent fasting for the offseason. No reason other than something to test since I am borderline mental about nutrition/calories.

I am trying the 16:8 fasting schedule. Been doing it for 5 days and it is working pretty good. But, I am getting exhausted in my morning swims. Luckily, I have always ran in a fasted state when training. I just always ran before breakfast.

But now, I am eating at 7pm, then not working out until 8am and I just dont have the energy. No way I could do a two hour bike ride.

For those of you who do 16:8 and workout in the morning, how do you get through your workouts?
Quote Reply
Re: Intermittent Fasting and Morning Workouts? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
folowing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you allowing yourself coffee before your morning workout? I know there is some research to suggest coffee can kick you out of a fasted state but not sure if you are taking it to that extreme. I ask because I train almost exclusively in a fasted state and find a good cup of coffee does the trick. I bring the coffee pool side and sip during rest periods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it for a long time before I started training, and always felt great. It was also a pretty easy way to get very lean.

There's no way I could do it while training, though, and neither do I particularly see the point of doing it.

If you feel good and strong training fasted and it doesn't impact you recover, great. But if not, what's the point? At least for me, triathlon is about performance and not aesthetics. Lots of easier ways to diet than endurance training on limited calories (at least for me).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I am trying intermittent fasting for the offseason. No reason other than something to test since I am borderline mental about nutrition/calories.

I am trying the 16:8 fasting schedule. Been doing it for 5 days and it is working pretty good. But, I am getting exhausted in my morning swims. Luckily, I have always ran in a fasted state when training. I just always ran before breakfast.

But now, I am eating at 7pm, then not working out until 8am and I just dont have the energy. No way I could do a two hour bike ride.

For those of you who do 16:8 and workout in the morning, how do you get through your workouts?

Most I do is 16 hours fasted [2pm-8AM] once a week [allowing water and caffeine, though, can't skimp on caffeine].

I have no trouble getting thorugh the first workout of the day, but if I bike fasted, then eat, and try to swim at lunch, I'm wasted. I'm pretty much ready to concede that I'll only be working out once the day I come off the fast. I don't think there is any way I could do 16:8 daily.
Quote Reply
Re: Intermittent Fasting and Morning Workouts? [BartLongacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been doing the 8/16 IF for a couple months now. for me, it got easier over time and realized I was over eating carbs by quite a bit before. but I just have coffee with some mct oil powder before I ride and amino acid mix in my water bottle on the bike and can go for a couple hours without thinking about eating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a 10 hour eating window each day. Took me two solid weeks to get used to hard trainer rides but you eventually are able to do it.

One thing to point out is that you only need to do it 5 days per week to get all the benefits. Caffeine / anything that affects your metabolism kicks you out of fasted state. Also, the goal is a reduced eating window, not reduced eating, so make sure you still have the same number of calories each day, just consumed in a shorter period of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Intermittent Fasting and Morning Workouts? [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
I do a 10 hour eating window each day. Took me two solid weeks to get used to hard trainer rides but you eventually are able to do it.

One thing to point out is that you only need to do it 5 days per week to get all the benefits. Caffeine / anything that affects your metabolism kicks you out of fasted state. Also, the goal is a reduced eating window, not reduced eating, so make sure you still have the same number of calories each day, just consumed in a shorter period of time.

Everything I have watched and read says black coffee is ok. I sip one a 16 oz coffee all through out the first half of the day.

My runs are fine fasted, although I have not tried speedwork or intervals. But my swim time is down from 2:04/100yds to 2:07/100yds over a 2500yard set. I went from horribly slow to even more horribly slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Rhonda Patrick cites studies showing that caffeine will kick you out of fasting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:

I do 16:8, 3 or 4 days a week. I just plan my high intensity training around the unrestricted eating days when I can.

Over all though I would say you just get used to it. I do tend to eat a much higher % of fat in my diet and I'm not very hungry outside of the feeding window. I do have coffee in the AM with heavy cream.
Quote Reply