Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Interesting study on sports drinks
Quote | Reply
https://swimswam.com/...-surprising-results/

May not be of any benefit for shorter duration events.

This study looked at non elite athletes aged 11-17 years

75 minute swim followed by 10x100 sprint on 3:00. No difference between drinking sports drink, water, or nothing at all.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
https://swimswam.com/study-on-sports-drinks-effects-on-swimming-renders-surprising-results/

May not be of any benefit for shorter duration events.

This study looked at non elite athletes aged 11-17 years

75 minute swim followed by 10x100 sprint on 3:00. No difference between drinking sports drink, water, or nothing at all.

Not surprised, follow the marketing, follow the money

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also not surprised and agree with Dave's thoughts above: follow the money in the "science."
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is definitely a correlation between the use of energy drinks and athletic performance for shorter distances.....

The lard asses that feel they need "energy" for workouts of less than 2 hours.........are almost always slower, then those who don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what the study would look like if instead of max recovery rest on the 10 x 100's, they left on say the 1:30. Max efforts on 3:00 even after 75 mins of swimming for swim club athletes is a hell lot of rest. ETA: My math is wrong, it's 1:1 ratio, if you go 1:30 for the 100.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: May 27, 17 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, so what exactly does this mean? To take it out a bit further, what if the group that drank nothing kept that up for 3 days? What about the group that just drank water?

Wanna bet on the third day of workouts who does best now?? Our sport is not a one day workout, it is a lifelong stage race, with bits of all out efforts throw in for measures now and again. So I would keep that in mind when looking at some 1 hour test. My guess is there could have been a group that drank beer instead and did the same or even better. Another group prune juice, perhaps tequila, all the same results. So what did it all mean?

IT is a study that has not actual benefit to what we do day in and day out. The best studies we have are ourselves, we have a tremendous data base of what to eat or drink in races, and what works and doesn't. To put any credence into this particular study is just not looking at the big picture..
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, what isn't surprising is that people would immediately jump on and say "I knew it all along"

I found it interesting that not even water made a difference.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
There is definitely a correlation between the use of energy drinks and athletic performance for shorter distances.....

The lard asses that feel they need "energy" for workouts of less than 2 hours.........are almost always slower, then those who don't.

I can easily run any 2 hour event and not need anything to eat or drink.

I love the folks who swim in the pool and are drinking all the time. Can not think of the last time in a race I get to stop and drink, let alone eat.

I love seeing folks who are doing a sprint race have like 3 water bottles on their bikes, and gu packets for the run. I wonder if they train that way?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
ok, so what exactly does this mean? To take it out a bit further, what if the group that drank nothing kept that up for 3 days? What about the group that just drank water?

Wanna bet on the third day of workouts who does best now?? Our sport is not a one day workout, it is a lifelong stage race, with bits of all out efforts throw in for measures now and again. So I would keep that in mind when looking at some 1 hour test. My guess is there could have been a group that drank beer instead and did the same or even better. Another group prune juice, perhaps tequila, all the same results. So what did it all mean?

IT is a study that has not actual benefit to what we do day in and day out. The best studies we have are ourselves, we have a tremendous data base of what to eat or drink in races, and what works and doesn't. To put any credence into this particular study is just not looking at the big picture..

that was my thought: recovery for the following day(s) begins during the current workout, and it's a sure thing that those who are staying better hydrated alone are going to perform better on subsequent days. I don't know how many times I've been on 5+ hour bike rides with pure cyclists with their one or two 16oz bottles of plain water to see them hit the wall day in and day out while putting in 400 mile weeks, to then need a month practically off and to seem mystified and disillusioned, like someone who never changes an older car's oil to then wonder why the car stopped running. For better one day studies, look to Noakes's '97 & '98 central governor studies.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: May 27, 17 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

I love the folks who swim in the pool and are drinking all the time. Can not think of the last time in a race I get to stop and drink, let alone eat.

I love seeing folks who are doing a sprint race have like 3 water bottles on their bikes, and gu packets for the run. I wonder if they train that way?

Alex Meyer would grab sips from a bottle while in the endless pool at Harvard and come to shore for drinks when at Walden Pond... but I guess he's a rookie swimmer

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't want to go into starvation mode.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
They don't want to go into starvation mode.

I know right!

The humanity....

Joe Shmoe awesome body builder and triathlete.
Joe suffered horrendous carbo shock last week. He went into carbo debt after his 6 mile blazing run (at 11:30 pace). His body fat plummeted from 32.6% to 32.5%.
Joe was exhausted and unable to complete his second set of snatch and preen.

See what happens if you skip the energy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OP: As the husband of a Ph.D student I've been lectured on the importance of looking at who is the researcher, in what reputable peer reviewed journal is it published, and can you read their methodology.

This is published by a pediatric gastroentologist, not necessarily and exercise physiology professor/sports nutrition researcher. Also the article doesn't reference in which journal it is published so you can't delve in further to see their methods.

All this aside I wonder if it has something to do with strict swimmers and if they lose less sodium in their sweat..I really don't know much on the subject.

Seems like a lot of people think we need to jsut take sodium; hence all the Salt Stick, BASE salt etc. and some people like liquid carbs ( iprefer Gtordae endurance for carbs in IM)

and i know this sounds sketchy since its sponsored by Gatordade, but they seem to be doing good solid research as the Gatorade Sports Science Institute- http://www.gssiweb.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess you're referring to people at the pool who are drinking frequently thinking they need the "fuel". I will sometimes take water or a sports drink to the pool and maybe take a drink a two during an hour workout. Not because I need the "fuel" but mostly because I am thirsty.

I would bet the people with 3 water bottles for a sprint race just don't know any better.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only time a person should think about "fuel" or "energy" ..... is when there is a legitimate chance of running out.
Long workouts!
Lots of long workouts!

And even then, it is not as if running out of carbohydrates is the end of the word.

Most of the time people should consume natural, healthy, simple, affordable food. Fruits, veggies, beans, meat?, nuts, cheese.
What is "natural", "healthy" or "simple" about Gatorade?

"Energy" and "fuel" is a give it away.
A human being is an animal not a car!

Why not drink gasoline?
That's fuel for something!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Any 2 hour event? With all due respect, I live in Florida and I don't think you could "easily" run 2 hours hard in 90 degree temperatures with high humidity in direct sun. Maybe I am wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [gnarshredderSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gnarshredderSD wrote:

This is published by a pediatric gastroentologist, not necessarily and exercise physiology professor/sports nutrition researcher. Also the article doesn't reference in which journal it is published so you can't delve in further to see their methods.

The article did state where it's being published in the first sentence.:
Quote:
"UK’s Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Health’s annual conference"

So it's currently a conference paper, not a journal paper. That doesn't mean that it won't also be a journal paper later. The proceedings of the above conference aren't yet published (finished yesterday), so couldn't find the actual text.
Last edited by: trail: May 27, 17 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not necessarily saying it's not true...but...that "study" is garbage and is not science.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your "logic" is so flawed, it's not even funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Says the guy who has an ad for energy gels at the bottom of the sig line, haha
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Any 2 hour event? With all due respect, I live in Florida and I don't think you could "easily" run 2 hours hard in 90 degree temperatures with high humidity in direct sun. Maybe I am wrong.

What?
Without water?
Or without Super Special Corn Syrup water?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Of course not, dah

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silvercivic27 wrote:
Your "logic" is so flawed, it's not even funny.

Is logic a trade marked product of Gatorade?

This whole "sports nutrition" thing is ridiculous.

There is 0.2% of the population that MIGHT, sometimes be helped by it.
The other 99.8% of the population is ALWAYS harmed by it.

That is no better than cigarettes!

0.2% of the population MIGHT benefit from the "super scientific" application of Wonder Smokes.

Why not open a "sports institute" designed to study how cigarettes MIGHT help 0.2% of the population sometimes?

Besides how is "sports nutrition" better than dried fruit and water?
Answer- it is not?
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: May 27, 17 14:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For your amusement.
I was in one of the early studies on sports drinks and endurance. It was funded by Gatorade, IIRC, and took place at Purdue in 1980. They took a muscle biopsy out of our thighs, which was a lot more dramatic in person than I'd realized from reading the study literature prior. Then they had us run until we dropped. There was a wide range of fitness in the participants. I was running for the school at the time. I was cruising around the indoor track at 22miles when they pulled me off. I'd been leaving a blood trail for miles and it was making folks skittish. After the "run until you drop" there was supposed to be a 2nd muscle biopsy, but since I got pulled off the track because of blood loss, there wasn't any sense of doing another muscle biopsy. I was good with that.

I'll never forget that muscle biopsy. The tool looked like a steel door knob with a 6" spike, about 1/4" in dia. In order to get it thru my connective tissue, the technician had to get his hip up to help him press down on the doorknob spike. When the spike finally went thru the connective tissue and into my quad, it was really an attention getter. 37yrs ago and the memory is quite vivid.

Was a hard way to earn $150, but I needed the money.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting study on sports drinks [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the hardest earned $150 ever.
Quote Reply

Prev Next