Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Interesting aero speed suit option
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: I have no commercial interest in Virklon, am not sponsored, and paid full retail.

I thought I'd share this because I had been looking for an easily customizable aero skin suit for 70.3 and IM and this option seems both affordable (around €100) and easily customizable. I like it when small companies innovate, so I want to give them a plug because I think they deserve it.

By chance I came across a Spanish company called Virklon that offer customized tri and cycling clothing, including an aero skin suit. I ordered one, basically to try it out. The photos were taken when very quickly trying it on without taking care to position it very well. The suit is a size M and is the Aero Endurance model, but with a thinner pad and a different (more aero, less ventilated) material on the body. I'm 6'7.

Initial impressions: the suit is pretty well made. I chose a thin short distance pad, which is very thin and unobtrusive. The arms are super elastic, but even for me a bit long. I can see room for improvement on details: deeper back pockets (maybe a bottle pocket in the middle?), powerband legs, slightly shorter arms, slightly different stitching, more hidden front zipper.

Will race the suit tomorrow and will have more feedback afterwards.

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have a refferal code so i can get 5% discount and you get some points so i can try the garments too?
they are cheap and look good, need to be tested and compared to the trusty fusion, skins and 2xu
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [berchrker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, no idea how it works - it seems my order is not yet officially finished, so I don't have a code. Sorry I can't help yet.

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you get the personalised graphics on there?

Did you just send them your gif files or is there another design tool on there.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have a design tool for standard designs. I sent them our logo and writing as vector graphics (important that it's vector, GIF or JPG doesn't work because it'd be pixelated).

Suit worked well - pretty comfy, pad is pretty thin, though.

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your height really 6 feet 7 inches? That would seem far too tall for a medium.....perhaps not.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [wasfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, 2m and 85kg in metric. Skinny.

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how long was processing and shipping time?
just ordered a shirt and shorts in custom design :) it seems a little crazy they can sell each part for 40€ or is it just me?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [berchrker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They kindly rushed it for me, I think the normal order time is 3 weeks or so.

Yeah I'm also surprised at the prices, especially since it's made in Europe.

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer; I´m sponsored in Spain by Virklon (not money, just clothes) and I help them to develop some products like this

Lanzarote Ironman 2014

That we tested in Kona 2012

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [luarca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just eyeballing it, you look to have a build similar to mine (6'2" 165lbs). Might I ask what size you wear?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Just eyeballing it, you look to have a build similar to mine (6'2" 165lbs). Might I ask what size you wear?

I would say a size or two too big for his shirt.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. Any tri versions (i.e. with a tank top or sleeveless top)?
Do you think you would your suit in a tri, or only in a TT?

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not be suprised if the bunching of the top around your lower back is costing your way more drag than you get for long sleeves.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only that...you lose the sun protection because your lower back is going to get burnt really bad

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used it in a 70.3. Worked well.

Best

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I´m 6.0" and 172 lbs.

The shirt is XS. It´s true that I´d need the M, but the proto M size "wave" (flamea in spanish) with the wind. Virklon is working in an XS longer in the back.

The buncher in the lower back is optative. You can fill (or not) the socket. This shirt is intended for using without it when swimming without wetsuit it and wear it in T1. It´s not intended for running with it so it´s needed to wear a tank in T2.

I´ll try a full suit long sleeves in Kona, wearing it under the skinsuit (is it possible to choose the suit with the zip in the chest or in the back)

About tri versions;

Last edited by: luarca: May 26, 14 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
power2max wrote:

Initial impressions: the suit is pretty well made. I chose a thin short distance pad, which is very thin and unobtrusive. The arms are super elastic, but even for me a bit long. I can see room for improvement on details: deeper back pockets (maybe a bottle pocket in the middle?), powerband legs, slightly shorter arms, slightly different stitching, more hidden front zipper.

Lots of clothing doesn't fit right off the shelf but that isn't a huge deal. An inexpensive tailor could hem the sleeves or do minor adjustments for cheap. If you go that route, just talk to them when you bring it in and show them that you want the hem sewed the same way as it is now. That might seem obvious, but that way you won't have any surprises.

As a warning, getting stuff tailored is rather addictive. I've spent a few bucks on getting almost all of my jeans and several pairs of track pants done. Now for some stupid reason I want a (custom) belly shirt tri top too.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: May 26, 14 17:50
Quote Reply
Post deleted by beavertriathlon [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I start to thanks Nicolas (power2max), for having discovered this great brand of clothing. Being from the same country, I do not know, and has been a great discovery.
Thanks to Nicola's post, I decided to buy my new clothes for my Iron distance debut in Vitoria.
And my assessment is: wonderful clothes, very good fabric, very comfortable, very good customer service, great professional service,...
The clothes I wear in the competition was:

Bike:
Aero Tri Top, great decision to protect me from the heat and sun, very breathable, good design pattern, light, and like a second skin.
Run:
Bike/Run Top, big decision, very hot in the marathon, well managed thanks to the convenience and tranpirabilidad tissue.
Tri Short Large Distance, which use both bike and run, particularly sympathetic, and a perfect anatomic chamois on the bike (where it is needed, perfect & little), and perfect in the run (not perceived).

I love clothes Virklon, the best I've had in triathlon clothing, high quality fabric, very compressive, customizable, lightweight, ..., clothing Virklon be my second skin when playing my favorite sports. I love it!
Again, thank Nicolas!!
Regards,
Antonio.
Last edited by: agy: Aug 25, 14 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rolled down or already on during the swim?

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desoto used to make a short sleeve trisuit just like that which I still use today for races.

I also add arm coolers with it so its just like a full sleeve trisuit.

He made it for only a year and when I asked him about restarting production he said there was no call for it. Maybe we can get him to rethink that.

Ron W
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting aero speed suit option [luarca & power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love if you guys could shoot some head on shots in the aero suits.

Also luarca, if you're interested in having me take the suits into the wind tunnel let me know.

Based on what I'm seeing I already have a couple of ideas that may make them more aero and offer more coverage/comfort.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where in the customization does one choose the pad thickness?
Did you email them separately asking for no flag or name, to place the graphics in your given locations (thigh, back, sleeves), and to add a cuff colour to the sleeves?

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply

Prev Next