Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting read.

I'm a bit confused about Graph 1 though; it's a reversed y-axis, so lower on the chart = higher resistance. They state (repeatedly) in the text that the UFO chain decreased in friction by 8 Watts overnight between tests, which fits with their chain-slacking/lube-redistribution hypothesis, but it seems to me that the chart shows the opposite with the dashed Day 2 line lower (higher resistance) than the Day 1 line.

What am I missing here?

Do you know if this was put out by Jason Smith/Friction Facts/Ceramic Speed? It's certainly written as though it was, but it lacks any kind of attribution or dating.

Edited to add: ahh right, they're referring to the end of Day 1 values @~14W vs the start of Day 2 values @~6W, that makes sense. I knew I must have been missing something obvious there!

Purely from an n=1 perspective, I routinely use wax+PTFE+MoS2 treated chains (albeit made myself using the FF formula, rather than official Ceramic Speed UFO chains) and I'd like to think I'd be able to feel the 10W reduction in chain efficiency over 4 hours that Muc-Off are claiming. I haven't and I've used my chains for much longer periods than this without any noticeable degradation.
Last edited by: awenborn: Oct 26, 17 4:28
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Jason's paper.

I wax my chains but couldn't be bothered with the extra 1 watt with Teflon and such.
I rode 4.5hrs today and certainly felt no increase in friction or noise.
Quote Reply