Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting AG Kona story
Quote | Reply
http://www.triathlete.com/2017/10/ironman/showdown-barkley-marathons-vs-ironman-kona_306918
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting AG Kona story [SBR.NYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude's a beast but also super nice guy. Thanks to stupid AWA structure, my slow ass was racked next to him in IMLP. Chatted a bit, couldn't be a classier dude.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He had a killer race! 7th M30-34 with the second fastest AG run (3:00:42) and 66th OA. I wonder if he'll go for ultraman someday

Interesting that the only guy to run faster looked like he either is the worst swimmer/runner ever to qualify or decided to cruise both legs just to take the amateur fastest run split.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting AG Kona story [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBR.NYC wrote:
https://runningmagazine.ca/john-kelly-2017-ironman-world-championship/

Awesome, although unfortunately, they need to edit the article given he had the 2nd fastest AG marathon. Sucks that some guy wanted to take that title so much he cruised the first two parts

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
SBR.NYC wrote:
https://runningmagazine.ca/john-kelly-2017-ironman-world-championship/

Awesome, although unfortunately, they need to edit the article given he had the 2nd fastest AG marathon. Sucks that some guy wanted to take that title so much he cruised the first two parts

Can you clarify - are you suggesting it was JK who "cruised the first two parts", or some other guy who had the fastest run split? Sorry for my confusion.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting AG Kona story [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never mind, I missed your earlier post. All clear here now. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting AG Kona story [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
Never mind, I missed your earlier post. All clear here now. Thanks.

No worries, I should have been more clear.

For everyone else's reference #2472: 1:26 S / 6:19 B / 2:53 R. No disrespect, that's hardcore (and his splits on Sportstats are all there so it's legit) but nobody wins awards for fastest run split of the day. Guess he just wanted the bragging rights.

ETA: Not sure this counts as bragging rights, John Kelly's 3h effort was much more impressive given overall time than this 2:53 after a float & cruise.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Last edited by: hadukla: Oct 16, 17 7:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed reading John Kelly's account of the Barclays marathons. If you have some spare time, his race report is well worth a read. I love the concepts of that race from the $1.60 entry fee for a 100Mile (ish) race to the 66mile 'fun run' etc. A really light hearted feel to what is an absolutely brutal race. There seems to be something about Ultra's that strips away all the ego and glamour present at Ironman races. The athletes seem to be really good genuine folks who are tough as hell. The wilderness terrain of most of those races is also very appealing. Maybe I should try one someday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started a thread a few days ago here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...__P6454568/#p6454568

I was kinda surprised(*) it didn't get any traction. It's a completely remarkable achievement and he is clearly a very talented endurance athlete.

He did an interview on Ginger Runner this last Monday about the Kona experience, and it was interesting to listen to his thoughts.

*This is ST though... If it's not about disc brakes, bike related, a witch-hunt or mocking something... It can slide right down the page ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting AG Kona story [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
I really enjoyed reading John Kelly's account of the Barclays marathons. If you have some spare time, his race report is well worth a read. I love the concepts of that race from the $1.60 entry fee for a 100Mile (ish) race to the 66mile 'fun run' etc. A really light hearted feel to what is an absolutely brutal race. There seems to be something about Ultra's that strips away all the ego and glamour present at Ironman races. The athletes seem to be really good genuine folks who are tough as hell. The wilderness terrain of most of those races is also very appealing. Maybe I should try one someday.

I loved that he said an IM is equal to one loop. I highly doubt 90% of IM finishers could handle a single loop... I know I couldn't, and that's without accounting for the navigation skill necessary!

If you haven't watched the documentary on Barkley, go and watch it now, pretty awesome.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:

For this reason alone I would encourage others to dip their toes into the ultra-world (unless you are really fast, then stay away from my races). Even if you just volunteer at an aid station for a while, you will come away with the impression in bold above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The others magazines were all late to the party. I interviewed him in April :-)

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ed_Barkley_6298.html
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting AG Kona story [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a really good find Herbert, and a great interview. I read it with fascination when you first posted it. It really gave a good insight into the secret world of the Barclays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
That was a really good find Herbert, and a great interview. I read it with fascination when you first posted it. It really gave a good insight into the secret world of the Barclays.

Is your autocorrect not a fan of Charles Barkley?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems to prefer British banks . . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually if you look at the article now, Kelly himself corrected the author of the article about this! Classy guy for sure! Very impressed with all he's done!
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting AG Kona story [Frenchietries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frenchietries wrote:
Actually if you look at the article now, Kelly himself corrected the author of the article about this! Classy guy for sure! Very impressed with all he's done!

Nice. Classy of John. Still sad that someone had to take that title the way they did...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply