Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14
Quote | Reply
I got a set of ultegra brakes for my B14, when trying to install the rear brake I discovered the threads on the frame are much bigger than the shimano bolts. The original TRP brake has a pair of studs which bolt into the frame and then the brake arms slide over them.
I have access to a machine shop, so I was thinking about making my own adapter to use the ultegra brake, something like the picture below, I will make sure the flange matches the diameter of the brake seating pad and plan on keeping it at about 1/16" thick.
Do you see any potential issues with this solution?

Last edited by: Art M.: Nov 16, 17 18:02
Quote Reply
Re: Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14 [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a chance to go by the machine shop and make my adapters, it worked! I was able to install the ultegra brake on my B14!

Last edited by: Art M.: Nov 17, 17 5:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more pic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a really nice solution! I didn't like the back brake on the B14 but this should improve it alot.
Quote Reply
Re: Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14 [bennedictus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice mod!

Does that allow using any Ultegra rear brake or which model is that in pictures?
What are the threads inside and outside?
Quote Reply
Re: Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14 [Tipsterix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brake in the pictures is an utlegra 6810. The mod should work for pretty much any direct mount brake which follows the same standard as Shimano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I realised it has to be direct mount after I asked. But what are the thread specifics for the adapter piece you made?
Quote Reply
Re: Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14 [Tipsterix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will see if I can find the dimensions, think I left them inside one the empty brake boxes. Getting it is really easy, just need to measure the thread pitch and diameter of the TRP stud and the Shimano bolt.
When I did mine I took the parts to the machine shop, and they took care of the measuring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice mod. I almost went with an Ultegra rear brake on my AR1 because I too hate the TRP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Art M.
Good information here.

My question is about the pins. So they screw out without issue? Anti clockwise? I noticed there was a pinch part at the base of the pin but they also look so integrated into the frame. I tried mildly unscrewing one but it didn't budge and I was scared I was going to ruin my frame 😨

I am wanting to replace the TRP brake with a Tririg Omega X. The Omega X comes with a direct mount adaptor and two different size screws. See image below. So I might be ok on the screw side of things.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HJfk7Ja6RZddgGSQ8

Looking into how this TRP brake works....talk about over engineering! I didn't know something as simple as a brake could be made so complicated. Even the frame has had to have a pin hole drilled into it to accommodate these brakes. My goodness.

P.S.actually the Omega X install instructions say the bigger, M8 screws are for replacing TRP setups.
https://www.tririg.com/...mp;page=installation

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14 [DaveQB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are regular right hand thread screws, I was afraid of putting some force behind the pins too when I took them out. What I did is take a breaker bar so I could apply steady force instead of jerking them and once the locking compound gave way they came right out.

It is a good thing the Omegas come with bigger screws, you won't have to worry about making adapters like I did
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
They are regular right hand thread screws, I was afraid of putting some force behind the pins too when I took them out. What I did is take a breaker bar so I could apply steady force instead of jerking them and once the locking compound gave way they came right out.

Great. On this advice, I'll give it a go. Thanks for sharing the info.
Quote Reply
Re: Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14 [DaveQB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found this post when looking at options for what will fit my B14 since I have had a headache adjusting the stock TRP brakes to handle the differences between my training wheels and my HED jet + wheels. I've got my new 6810r brake now and I pulled one of the studs in the frame. I measured the parts and the shimano brake uses a M6x1.0 thread, and the studs in the frame are M8x1.25. The depth of the threaded insert in the frame is ~15mm, and the thread of the bolt that came with my shimano brake is about 7mm long. I've asked a buddy that works at a machine stop to make me the adapters. Hopefully I can get this mounted up soon.

For anyone who has done this was it a noticeable improvement with the ultegra rear brake? Is it worth it to upgrade the front brake as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14 [acoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did it workout with the adapters, same issue with my B14, replaced trp brake and it still constantly sticks , had 2 bike shops work on it over the past 2 years, new cables every year and after a few rides, they stick and cause rub.
Quote Reply
Re: Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14 [Jbages23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me is been 5 years, still working fine all I had to do is change pads and regular maintenance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The upgrade on the rear brakes was definitely worth it. They are super easy to adjust and maintain now, I can switch between a wider set of rims (HED Jets) and the stock wheels with only a few minutes. A buddy of mine saw my results and has done it to his bike as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you use a Shimano CB90 inline cable adjuster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I did
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would anyone that did this be willing to have their machine shop make another adapter bolt and I will buy it off of them?
Quote Reply
Re: Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14 [dmcdowell22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Have not tried it, but these adapters have the thread sizes given above to suit the frame and brake hardware threads:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164659351096
Quote Reply
Re: Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14 [david.mcmullen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david.mcmullen wrote:

Have not tried it, but these adapters have the thread sizes given above to suit the frame and brake hardware threads:

This particular seller does not ship to the US, but there should be others

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmcdowell22 wrote:
Would anyone that did this be willing to have their machine shop make another adapter bolt and I will buy it off of them?
I am, it wasn't cheap when I did it, I will ask my guy for an updated quote, but I think you may be better off looking for a pre-made adapter like the one in the previous post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
david.mcmullen wrote:

This particular seller does not ship to the US, but there should be others

Good catch, I didn’t see that.
Here is similar part from a US based supplier:

https://www.fittings.space/gtm21-m8x13m-m6x10f
Quote Reply
Re: Installing Ultegra rear brake on Felt B14 [david.mcmullen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super helpful, thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hold on! These TRP brakes are the same ones on the old shiv, no? I've hated these brakes for years! Is this possible to swap out the brakes my bike as well?
Quote Reply

Prev Next