Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle
Quote | Reply
Looking to buy a new/used vehicle that I can put my TT bike inside of, standing up, with the front tire removed. I do not want to deal with removing or lowering the seat post.

One of the options I've been looking at is the Jeep Wrangler 4 door. I know its not the quietest nor most economical, but the ruggedness is cool and it will mostly be a driveway queen as I use a company car most days. Question is, will a TT bike fit in it with the front wheel removed? Is there another vehicle option that may work? I have a Santa Fe Sport now and the bike will not fit standing up.

Any pictures of your setup would be super beneficial as well.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just get a couple year old minivan. There is no better bike transporter.
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Came here to say just this. Look no further: the car of your dreams.

Doesn't get much more rugged than that.
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honda Element. Don't even have to take the front wheel off. And you certainly don't have to mess with the seat post. I barely even have to tilt the bike over to clear the seatpost, and the clamshell rear closure makes for a nice seating area before/after rides and such.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Honda Ridgeline pickup. The back seats fold up and a tri bike fits in the back seat upright, without removing the front wheel.

It won't go as many places off-road as a Jeep Wrangler, but it's much more reliable.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I appreciate the Mini Van suggestions, not going to happpen... I have no kids and don't want to be "that creepy guy" in the neighborhood. I do understand the usefulness of it though.

Also a huge "NO!" from the wifie.

I'll take a look at the Ridgeline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet you wouldn't even have to remove the front tire to put it in the back seat area, but not positive. I know on my extended cab truck it fits back there easily with front tire on when you fold the back seat up. So if it won't fit in the jeep look at a 4x4 truck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, a Ridgeline would take away more of your man card than a minivan.

Fine, call it a "van" and it'll make you feel better ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Ha, a Ridgeline would take away more of your man card than a minivan.

Fine, call it a "van" and it'll make you feel better ;)

That sir is an Adventure Van not a "van" and I'd love one... But not planning x-country trip. Super sweet though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Honda Element that I absolutely love. It used to be my primary car but at the moment it's our kid car. My 22 year old drove it, now my 17 year old drives it and my 14 year old will drive it when it's his turn. When they are done with it it will be all mine again. I've even got a custom license plate for it ("Bike Box"). Kids gave it to me a few years ago for Father's Day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2011 GMC Sierra. Put a color matched camper shell on it. Bike goes in the back.

Bolted a fork mount to a tool box.

I'll try to get a picture
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drive a 2 door Wrangler TJ, the older one smaller than the current design. Size large bikes, road and tri, fit in the back with the front wheel removed. No other changes, just the wheel removed. And that's with the rear Jeep seat folded. With the rear seat removed completely (easy) we've gone on road trips with the bike and lots of luggage loaded back there too.

I usually strap the frame to the rollover cage for longer trips, and place a folded hoka insole under the fork where it sits on the floor.

FYI, completely redesigned 2018 wrangler is expected in a few months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through this process about 8 months ago - brought my P2 to every dealership and did a test fit before any test drives. My requirements were that I needed to be able to fit two bikes, upright, INSIDE the vehicle, with space for at least one more passenger and our luggage. Inside the car, and not a soft-top, was a big sticking point for me that dealers didn't seem to appreciate (the Bay Area is just too risky for bikes outside!).

Ultimately I bought a 2012 Ford Escape - fit my size 54 P2 upright, no adjustments to the seatpost and the front wheel removed without a problem. It doesn't fit in the newer body style Escapes in the same manner - the floor to ceiling height is smaller in the newer models.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lay all of my bikes down just fine in the back of my Ford Edge (with back row seats down obviously). Few duffle bags of gear, throw in the bike, I'm good to go. Most SUVs are the same way. If you don't have kids, why does the bike need to go in standing up?
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I drive a 2 door Wrangler TJ, the older one smaller than the current design. Size large bikes, road and tri, fit in the back with the front wheel removed. No other changes, just the wheel removed. And that's with the rear Jeep seat folded. With the rear seat removed completely (easy) we've gone on road trips with the bike and lots of luggage loaded back there too.

I usually strap the frame to the rollover cage for longer trips, and place a folded hoka insole under the fork where it sits on the floor.

FYI, completely redesigned 2018 wrangler is expected in a few months.

Thanks for the information! Good to know about the redesign too. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Inside of the Car/SUV TT Bike Transport - Looking For New Vehicle [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
I lay all of my bikes down just fine in the back of my Ford Edge (with back row seats down obviously). Few duffle bags of gear, throw in the bike, I'm good to go. Most SUVs are the same way. If you don't have kids, why does the bike need to go in standing up?

Because I hate laying the bike down in the back. Also forget putting any luggage back there, at least with my Santa Fe Sport with the bike laying down. Typically when my wife and I go race, its not in and out thing, we make a racecation, so we have luggage and 90% of the luggage isn't mine...
Last edited by: DashLash: Jun 14, 17 17:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suburban - done. If you can't fit whatever you need inside you don't need it. Also when you do have kids you will have room for all the c**p that goes along with that. Road trip with 4 of your friends and their bikes and all your stuff - no problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, the Xterra worked great. I bolted a fork mount to the back of the resr seat when folded down and the bike for just fit perfectly mounted inside upright by the fork. Now, I'm 5-9 and my saddle had about 1/4" from the touching the headliner.

Now, My girlfriend at the time was bit taller and longer legs, her bike wouldn't fit on this same mount.

I have a 2017 Tacoma now, but when shopping around for a truck/suv, I figured I'd take my bike to the dealerships and test if it would fit upright.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DashLash wrote:
Because I hate laying the bike down in the back.

Ahh well, a cervelo P2 fits in the back of a corvette, but you've gotta pop both wheels off & lay it down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DashLash wrote:
Because I hate laying the bike down in the back. Also forget putting any luggage back there, at least with my Santa Fe Sport with the bike laying down. Typically when my wife and I go race, its not in and out thing, we make a racecation, so we have luggage and 90% of the luggage isn't mine...

Me and my wife both race and we easily fit two bikes, all the tri gear, a couple of suit cases, etc. in my Volvo V60XC, yes, bikes are laying down. Heck, we even fit two bikes and all the tri gear plus a suitcase in her Volvo C30 (no longer made, but an awesome car!).

If you're hell-bent on the bikes standing up, Volvo XC90 would fit your bill. The T5 model is pretty darn fuel efficient and fun to drive.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Best triathlon transportation that you never want to have to own! Plenty of room to stand up and change clothing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took my bike with me when I shopped for my last car. I'm glad I did because what I thought I would like didn't give me the right setup I was looking for.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently have a honda CRV and can load my bike standing up with the front wheel removed. You lose one of the rear seats for passengers of course. My best vehicle of all time though was a Honda Element. Seats fold up against the walls or can be easily removed altogether. Flat floor that can be mopped and swept out. Bike(s) can be transported standing up without removing the front wheel. The back suicide doors were cool too. Too bad they stopped making that vehicle... stupid Honda engineers. 😎
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we carry two tri-bikes in the back of our Honda Fit. Both bikes are standing up and with the front wheels off. the bigger one is 54cm. i think a 56cm would fit as well, but maybe not anything larger. A friend also has Fit and has mounted a 2x4 with bar that he can mount the front fork into. We aren't that sophisticated. We just put the bikes against either side of the car and wrap a rear seat-belt around the seat-post.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're considering used then definitely look if you can find a Honda Element. I got mine for that exact reason - wanted a car I can put my bike in without any 'work'. I'm 6'1" riding bikes size 58/large and all my bikes (road, TT, MTB) fit great. I got mine new in 2009, been a really great car.
Quote Reply

Prev Next