Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT
Quote | Reply
I just finished a local 40k tt. 1:00:47 on 227w NP. Here's the thing: heart rate never went over 145 and was in the mid 130s once I "settled in". Wasn't ever really breathing hard either. I was targeting 240w but I just couldn't get anymore out of my legs (cadence stayed between 90-100, only sunk into the high 80s a couple of times).

My "B" race for the year is Ironman 70.3 Haines City on April 12th. I'm currently on the Trainer Road 70.3 mid-volume plan. I like the plan so far but I'm wondering if I should cut back on the volume a bit and add some intensity? Input would be appreciated, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I just finished a local 40k tt. 1:00:47 on 227w NP. Here's the thing: heart rate never went over 145 and was in the mid 130s once I "settled in". Wasn't ever really breathing hard either. I was targeting 240w but I just couldn't get anymore out of my legs (cadence stayed between 90-100, only sunk into the high 80s a couple of times).

My "B" race for the year is Ironman 70.3 Haines City on April 12th. I'm currently on the Trainer Road 70.3 mid-volume plan. I like the plan so far but I'm wondering if I should cut back on the volume a bit and add some intensity? Input would be appreciated, thanks.

Look at the underlined sections above.. it doesn't make sense that you wanted to push more watts but you were never really breathing that hard?

Also, your heart rate data doesn't mean anything unless we understand your age, resting heart rate, threshold heart rate, or other factors

When it comes to your training program... what is your goal? Many would say you need to be more specific towards a race... but if its a true "b" race and your goal is to hold 250 watts for you "a" race... then build your training load.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [ddalzell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Resting heart rate is in the mid 40s. I've never truly tested THR but by the end of a tempo run it's in the low 170s. 28, 6'2", 165lbs. My car was conveniently parked about 300m past the finish line so I only rode until there and within about minute my respiration felt like it was back to normal (I'm going to do a light spin tonight).

What I'm trying to convey is that it sure felt like my aerobic system could handle more but my legs couldn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you sick, tired, etc? Some days are just off days... last week, I did 3x10 and could barely hold 200 watts. This week I cruised through 4x10 @ 270watts. (FTP is 270ish).

The TR Half mid volume plan plan is pretty good general plan... but if your focus is on shorter events, more intensity wouldn't hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Take a step back and evaluate objectively. Athletes (myself included) have the tendancy to overreact to a single race or training session. One bad training session or race doesn't mean you should abandon the plan. Especially data up to this point is telling you that you are getting fitter or faster based on what the current objective is.

What was the point of the session?
Was the point of the session to remain aerobic? If the point of the session was to remain aerobic and get some solid time in the bars, goal accomplished regardless of legs being heavy.

If no and the point was to TT and test your FTP/THR and you laid an egg, legs being heavy could be due to a number of issues. Lack of sleep, lack of nutrition, hard sessions in the day or two leading up to the TT, being dehydrated, etc. Look at everything leading up to the TT, nutrition, sleep, work stress, hydration, training, and you can make a solid objective decision what to to with your training plan.

Hope it helps! Good luck and keep us updated!

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Last edited by: ScottWrigleyFit: Feb 16, 15 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to copy a PM I just sent to ddalzel

Quote:
December 25th (was my last true FTP test). Did a true 1hr test on my Computrainer (sucked) tested out at 241 but rounded down to 240 for simplicity. I caught the flu a few days after and I feel like that set me back a bit. Did the TR 20min test second week of January and was given a value of 228w so I've used that.

I was fairly fresh, skipped my weekend long rides in favor of a couple of short 10min efforts yesterday and Saturday. Last "real" day of training on the bike was thursday. Running mileage/intensity is low (I'm taking my sweet time with that discipline as I'm trying to have an injury free year). Swimming volume is high at the moment but I didn't swim yesterday.

Motivation was fine (I'm always pretty fired up for races).

I just wonder if the TR mid 70.3 plan hasn't flattened out my power curve a bit too much.

If I do a tempo run my heart rate by the end is in the low 170s. I know it's common to have a lower threshold heart rate on the bike but I spent most of today in the mid 130s. Maybe I just chalk it up to "heavy legs" and leave it at that.

I'm thinking maybe just stick with the TR plan and see how Haines City goes. My "A" race is Steelhead so maybe I'll adjust after Haines City (or stick with the same plan, we'll see).

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm going to copy a PM I just sent to ddalzel

Quote:
December 25th (was my last true FTP test). Did a true 1hr test on my Computrainer (sucked) tested out at 241 but rounded down to 240 for simplicity. I caught the flu a few days after and I feel like that set me back a bit. Did the TR 20min test second week of January and was given a value of 228w so I've used that.

I was fairly fresh, skipped my weekend long rides in favor of a couple of short 10min efforts yesterday and Saturday. Last "real" day of training on the bike was thursday. Running mileage/intensity is low (I'm taking my sweet time with that discipline as I'm trying to have an injury free year). Swimming volume is high at the moment but I didn't swim yesterday.

Motivation was fine (I'm always pretty fired up for races).

I just wonder if the TR mid 70.3 plan hasn't flattened out my power curve a bit too much.

If I do a tempo run my heart rate by the end is in the low 170s. I know it's common to have a lower threshold heart rate on the bike but I spent most of today in the mid 130s. Maybe I just chalk it up to "heavy legs" and leave it at that.

I'm thinking maybe just stick with the TR plan and see how Haines City goes. My "A" race is Steelhead so maybe I'll adjust after Haines City (or stick with the same plan, we'll see).

Thanks.

No worries! That's what the ST community is for!

You have a LONG time to go with your A Race of Steelhead not being until August. Now when you do your next FTP session or you race Haines and you still aren't where you have planned to be, then you will need to adjust the plan to fit your goals.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll say this about trainer road, when I look through what a lot of athletes are doing for workouts, I realize that even with all the info on ST, all the threads about how to train, many triathletes still don't understand training.

Now that may or may not apply to you. IDK. I will say it's a great time of year to build a high power engine. I see a lot of people worried about making their 6 cylinder engine more efficient but not a lot of people trying to add cylinders.

So do you need more fuel economy or do you need more cylinders?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I should join Lifetime Fitness and do both ;)

I suppose I should be adding cylinders now and make the engine more efficient going into my A race?
Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'll say this about trainer road, when I look through what a lot of athletes are doing for workouts, I realize that even with all the info on ST, all the threads about how to train, many triathletes still don't understand training.

Now that may or may not apply to you. IDK. I will say it's a great time of year to build a high power engine. I see a lot of people worried about making their 6 cylinder engine more efficient but not a lot of people trying to add cylinders.

So do you need more fuel economy or do you need more cylinders?

Such a great analogy. I NEED more cylinders!

I'm also on the TR 70.3 mid-volume plan (week 5). I'm enjoying it so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's harder to add cylinders if you are focused on more efficiency.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could someone please post a link to the TP mid-volume 70.3 plan?
Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [timothy11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished a local 40k tt. 1:00:47 on 227w NP. Here's the thing: heart rate never went over 145 and was in the mid 130s once I "settled in". Wasn't ever really breathing hard either. I was targeting 240w but I just couldn't get anymore out of my legs (cadence stayed between 90-100, only sunk into the high 80s a couple of times). ...I'm wondering if I should cut back on the volume a bit and add some intensity?

Have you never done a 40k or shorter max effort before? How did you determine that you couldn't get more out of your legs? Everything you've mentioned sounds like you just didn't feel like going hard... and didn't.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm amazed that you almost went an hour on only 227 watts at your size. You're not a big guy, but you aren't small either. You must have the slipperiest set up ever.

Quote | Reply
GreenPlease - I know exactly what you mean. I measure my FTP regularly and train to it. During some races or hard workouts I feel like my legs are giving all they've got and I can't push any harder. My HR will be only 138-140 (high zone 2 for me). I feel like my muscles can't keep up with my cardio. I've wondered if I just need to build my leg strength in the gym or doing hill repeats??

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm amazed that you almost went an hour on only 227 watts at your size. You're not a big guy, but you aren't small either. You must have the slipperiest set up ever.

That can be easily obtained with a CdA ~.23 which is good but not outstanding.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So ol' vague one, what builds efficiency and what builds cylinders?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what most have already said, as we all have those off days where it's tough to really get your systems going. Be careful with drastically altering your training and game plan based upon a single effort. We actually have a new and improved Half Distance plan in the works that will be 8 weeks long, rather than the current 12. If you have 16 weeks until your "a" race, I'd recommend jumping into a Power Build plan and then following it up with the new Specialty plan, which should be out later this spring. The Sustained Power Build plan could be a good way to increase FTP and gain that "extra cylinder" as discussed above, before jumping into the Specialty plan.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

That can be easily obtained with a CdA ~.23 which is good but not outstanding.

Hmm. I hear you, but it still seems like an hour 40k pushing just 3.03 w/kg is impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:

No idea but riding more makes you put out more power. So there is that.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [Dont_Drown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont_Drown wrote:
I've wondered if I just need to build my leg strength in the gym or doing hill repeats??

No.
Most likely this happens from running a lot, I would imagine.
So you could stop running!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The smelly brown stuff is getting deep in this one...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, take a knee and drink water.... you'll be fine.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Input appreciated: stick with TR 70.3 plan or adjust based on today's TT [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be an AYSO soccer coach
Quote Reply

Prev Next