left over Smarties from Halloween.

I'm gonna save a ton of money.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Injected Placebo worked as well as EPO on runners [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Injected Placebo worked as well as EPO on runners [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I don't think that study is saying what your title says,.

Not quite, no.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, a group of 40:00 10k runners claimed a :30 improvement on a placebo? Not too groundbreaking of a study.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Injected Placebo worked as well as EPO on runners [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:
So, a group of 40:00 10k runners claimed a :30 improvement on a placebo? Not too groundbreaking of a study.

If that 1.2% "improvement" would hold for a world record performance in the 10,000 meters that would be
almost 19 seconds faster than the current mark.

And even though the new world record holder would be incredibly naive he'd still be clean.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Nov 21, 14 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: Injected Placebo worked as well as EPO on runners [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will take the 1.2% improvement for saline injections
Quote Reply
Re: Injected Placebo worked as well as EPO on runners [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:

people come on here and go on and on about a shoe or wheels to shave time for a lot less than 1% improvement so yeah this is groundbreaking that you can inject SALINE call it oxy and get that kind of improvement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:

you can get 2% more power by just having your power meter lie to you.

or by learning to pace properly

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
meuf wrote:

you can get 2% more power by just having your power meter lie to you.

or by learning to pace properly

running that is tougher....
Quote Reply
Re: Injected Placebo worked as well as EPO on runners [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
Printer wrote:

If that 1.2% "improvement" would hold for a world record performance in the 10,000 meters that would be
almost 19 seconds faster than the current mark.

And even though the new world record holder would be incredibly naive he'd still be clean.

You're focusing on the wrong end of the study. It's not the percentage improvement, it's the fact that they took a bunch of 40:00 10K club runners and they ran slightly faster while on the placebo. I'm willing to bet that these guys are not at their aerobic limit running 40:00. Any additional drive will get them :30.

Now, I'd rather see a study that takes athletes who are already pushing their aerobic limits and see what effect the placebo has.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
Printer wrote:

people come on here and go on and on about a shoe or wheels to shave time for a lot less than 1% improvement so yeah this is groundbreaking that you can inject SALINE call it oxy and get that kind of improvement

Placebo effect isn't groundbreaking at all.
Those hill repeats, track work, long runs, extra sleep, healthy eating, skipping happy hour all have a positive effect on race day. Some is mental, some is physical. The difference between that list and saline is obvious...the placebo does nothing for you physically.
If those club runners were put onto a strict coaching plan and then subjected to the intervention study, I'm sure on two things: A) they would all have ran a lot faster, and B) the placebo effect would shrink away into the error bars.
Quote Reply