Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Infinit Go Far vs Gatorade Endurance
Quote | Reply
I've done a few HIMs but am doing my first IM later this year so I'm trying to decide on nutrition for the IM. In my HIMs, I just mixed bottles of gatorade with carbo pro and some water because the gatorade is slightly too sweet for me. So I think that ended up being 330 calories per bottle. And I would supplement that with gu gels and/or bonk breakers/clif bars. So on the bike a majority of my calories came from liquid. I could do the same I suppose for IM but thought if gatorade endurance is on the bike course I could start training with that. I'm considering either Gatorade endurace and adding carbo pro to get to 280 calories or using Infinit Go Far which is 280 calories. I supposed I could add Carbo Pro to the Infinit to pack a few more calories in there. I'm not sure there are major differences between these approaches but thought I should ask here for advice. The other thing I'm thinking about is clif bars early on the bike and gu gels later since they're easier to digest. I'm not sure if I'm overthinking or not thinking enough about this. HIM distance was relatively easy since time is so much shorter.
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Go Far vs Gatorade Endurance [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the IM distance, you shouldn't be riding hard enough that you would have trouble digesting solid food. Especially if you practice it. 1-2 Picky Bars or Clif Bars can be pretty nice. I think you're getting a good idea of how many calories to get in during your ride. Adjust the fluids and electrolytes as well based off the temps. Practice (train your gut) as often as possible and you'll be fine.

Like the other disciplines, practice makes perfect.

p.s. I'm a big Go Far fan. Good stuff. I would much rather add some solid foods than add Carbo Pro to a good product. You can find the exact same corn based maltodextrin for a fraction of the price in sooo many places, even a homebrew shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Go Far vs Gatorade Endurance [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good point about I shouldn't be riding hard enough to have trouble digesting solid food. I've been using clif bars and they seem to work well for my stomach. I might cut them up into pieces first and store them that way in my bento box because the packaging sucks trying to get open on the bike. I tried infinit a couple of years ago and recall liking the light flavoring. not overwhelming. that's my turnoff with regular gatorade when I'm exercising hence why I usually water it down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched from Infinit (gofar for long rides, speed for short) to Cranksports efuel recently and really like it. The taste is much more mellow, but more importantly it causes less phlegm in my throat. I found for some reason with Infinit I was constantly spitting. You can get the same amount of calories in a bottle, or dial it back depending on how many scoops you use. And their gels are awesome too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO FAR has protein. We use it as an appetite suppressant so you don't get hungry and need food. The products that you are talking about are straight carbs and salts.

We are just big into simple. Drink your stuff and that's it. Eating is not my idea of awesome after 4 hours in 90+ degrees. But that's me.

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Go Far vs Gatorade Endurance [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I did order some infinit go as I remember liking infinit previously. I'll be testing it out in training this summer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't drink Gatorade. I can cut it in half with water but not straight. Go Far worked great for me so I ordered a custom blend to use and I like that better than the Go Far. I do need some solid food though at some point.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Go Far vs Gatorade Endurance [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many kcal can you fit in a bottle with infinit without it becoming sludge?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to disagree with the "you shouldn't be riding hard enough that you would have trouble digesting solid food" advice. The harder you go the less your stomach will be able to cope with, true. Since solid food takes more energy and time to digest, why would you put your stomach through it? You are diverting unnecessary energy from the task at hand. The last thing I want is for my stomach to be holding me back. Liquid fuel (note this is not "nutrition" - that happens when you're not training/racing) digests faster and is far easier to eat. The only thing that should be your limiter is your fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Go Far vs Gatorade Endurance [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put 6 x my custom Infinit bike mix (299kcal/serv) in a standard bottle for IM Boulder, so at least ~1800kcal. Worked great. It was a bit viscous, but not sludge.
Quote Reply
Re: Infinit Go Far vs Gatorade Endurance [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the question is during an ironman bike will one typically being going so hard that solids will be hard to digest. certainly on the run that is the case. I've only done HIMs and less to this point.
Quote Reply