Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Indoor trainer
Quote | Reply
For those of you that have indoor trainers, which one do you have and why do you like or hate it? I have rollers however I want to get another trainer. Im leaning at this point toward the kurt kinetic rock and roll version? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [RedNeckBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Misread.

I have the Kurt Kinetic Fluid (not rock and roll) and I love it. I honestly never saw the draw of the rock and roll, but to each their own.

I think if I were going to spend the money now, though, I'd get a smart trainer. But mine now is simple to use and is always available.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Oct 28, 17 13:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you looking for any trainer or a smart trainer?

Somethings to think about to help answer your question:

- Do you have a powermeter on your bike? Is accurate power important to you?
- Do you want a direct drive or wheel-on or you don't know?
- How important is noise level?
- How about road feel?
- Which software do you plan on using with the trainer (zwift, trainer road, etc)?
- How much do you want to spend?

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in this same boat. Looking for a trainer for this winter. I want a smart trainer. I want to ride zwift and I really like the idea of adjustable resistance to imitate climbs (the more interesting the training is the more likely I will work hard). I don't have a power meter. I'm not going to get one anytime soon. I like the idea of training with power (especially indoors) to monitor progress. Overall, I'm more interested in just getting training in since I have been on a road bike for less than a year. I think anything I do this year will improve me for next year but I need to run more than anything else. I think I might go with the Qubo Digital

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product2_10053_10052_589914_-1

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could look for a good used Computrainer on Ebay or this forum. I recently paid under under $450 shipped. Durable and works with Trainer Road, Zwift or Perf Pro (pre 2008 chipsets may not).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I do want a smart trainer. Not sure what i'll use just yet but zwift is a consideration. Don't care too much about noise as I'll be in a climate controlled garage (that I just built). I do want a realistic road feel that why I thought of the rock and roll trainer but im open to options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He doesn't have a power meter. Without a power meter but wanting to know your watts, which trainer would you recommend?

I know the Direto has a built in power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are the trainers that I found to have good power accuracy:

- Tacx NEO (No calibration required)
- Elite Drivo (No calibration required)
- Elite Direto (requires calibration)
- Wahoo KICKR (requires calibration)
- CycleOps Hammer (requires calibration)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad does have simulated power if you are using a trainer without PM.

If you are just getting started and money isn’t an issue then go for a direct drive trainer. I believe the direct drive smart trainers will change resistance etc when connect to different programs like trainerroad.com or Zwift.

I’d recommend going to DCRAINMAKER.COM (there’s a trainer and trainer app buyers guide) and reading some reviews on the trainers and apps/programs. Like you mentioned, since you just started riding anything is better than nothing. Trainerroad.com (yes I’m biased) and Zwift provide structured training and will greatly increase gains.
Last edited by: Mexpedip: Oct 28, 17 18:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a 1st gen kickr, and it's been great; totally bulletproof for me and super reliable. I would recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been on Bkool with their Smart Pro for a few years now.

Generally very good for my needs. I haven't checked how accurate their power numbers are.

They've improved their App quite a bit over the time I've been using it.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [Mexpedip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mexpedip wrote:

If you are just getting started and money isn’t an issue then go for a direct drive trainer. I believe the direct drive smart trainers will change resistance etc when connect to different programs like trainerroad.com or Zwift.

I’d recommend going to DCRAINMAKER.COM (there’s a trainer and trainer app buyers guide) and reading some reviews on the trainers and apps/programs. Like you mentioned, since you just started riding anything is better than nothing. Trainerroad.com (yes I’m biased) and Zwift provide structured training and will greatly increase gains.

Does the Direto change resistance? I think that is the one I am sold on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea. I’m pretty sure it’s oart of the dcrainmaker.com buyers guide review.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it does.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
Mexpedip wrote:

Does the Direto change resistance? I think that is the one I am sold on.

I'd say go for that one; it looks like a staggering deal for the price. It's the one I'd get if I needed a new smart trainer.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Kurt Kinetic rock and roll smart, I do not have a power meter, I have used it for the last 2 years. I do all my training indoors on it, it has worked well for me using Trainerroad and following their training plans.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to get a 1st gen kickr wahoo was selling for $650 refurbished but I hesitated and they were sold out, so I got a new kickr snap. All I can say is wow, after a handful of rides, it's unreal. I use zwift and have done a few WBR races. Great fun and makes an hour trainer workout fly by. Now I got to get off my laptop and get on the trainer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Are you looking for any trainer or a smart trainer? Smart trainer
- Do you have a powermeter on your bike? No
- Is accurate power important to you? Within +/- 3% seems acceptable as long as it's fairly consistent
- Do you want a direct drive or wheel-on or you don't know? Don't know, but probably direct drive
- How important is noise level? Not a major priority, but quieter would be better.
- How about road feel? Yes, please
- Which software do you plan on using with the trainer (zwift, trainer road, etc)? Don't know. Coming from "dumb" trainer but probably Zwift
- How much do you want to spend? < $1000, closer to $700-800.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For under $1000, I would go with the Direto. It has everything you are looking. Very accurate and very quiet with good road feel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for your replies, I have been to DCrainmakers website a lot over the last few years and its a good source of information. Plus, there's no other place where you can get such detailed reviews. I think I have it narrowed to two or three choices. Now I just have to figure out how im going to sneak it past the wife.....
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [wcroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would the snap compare to tacx offerings like the vortex or flow? The flow looks especially attractive at $349.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclops hammer hands down best money I have spent

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dominion wrote:
How would the snap compare to tacx offerings like the vortex or flow? The flow looks especially attractive at $349.

Cheap is always a compromise. I've just stepped off the Flow after a solid sessions and my own 'Lab Test'. It's another case of 'you get what you pay for'. It works as expected. However if your budget can stretch, go the Vortex. If it can stretch further go the SNAP. The SNAP is probably the best wheel on trainer I've used to date.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor trainer [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
Dominion wrote:

Cheap is always a compromise. I've just stepped off the Flow after a solid sessions and my own 'Lab Test'. It's another case of 'you get what you pay for'. It works as expected. However if your budget can stretch, go the Vortex. If it can stretch further go the SNAP. The SNAP is probably the best wheel on trainer I've used to date.

Thanks Shane.
I clicked your web link and read all your trainer reviews. Great info! I'll probably go for the snap.
Quote Reply

Prev Next