Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Indoor rowing
Quote | Reply
We are getting an indoor rower at the end of the month (Waterrower), mainly for the wife but was wondering if anyone else supplements their spinning with this? If so how far or long do you row for? Seems like a great workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing [askimdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rowing is, roughly, more equivalent time-wise to running than to cycling. So if you are thinking about workout duration, think running workout duration rather than riding duration.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pffff what do you know about rowing anyway?

/s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
askimdog wrote:
We are getting an indoor rower at the end of the month (Waterrower), mainly for the wife but was wondering if anyone else supplements their spinning with this? If so how far or long do you row for? Seems like a great workout.

IMO the Concept 2 would be a better choice since the C2 community is so large along with rankings, competitions, and the performance monitor and some software allows you to compete online with another rower(s)- I think, anyway.

But yea, rowing is about equivalent to running for time or even distance but without all the leg/knee/feet issues running can produce. With the rower you could do hard interval workouts everyday without worry of injury. If find a nice supplement to riding and running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your goals. Typical erg workouts for us when I was a rower:

Steady-state - 3x30 minutes, 5 minutes rest in between.

Anaerobic Threshold - 2x20 minutes, 5 minutes rest.

Race pace (2000m race taking, depending on your fitness level 5:40 to 8:00) - 5-7x5minutes on, 5 minutes off

And anaerobic - 10 x 1 minute on, 1 minute off. The minute on is very very hard.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Feb 11, 16 14:50
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember doing some 500m sprints in college. My goal was to hold the pace that Olympic guys could hold for a 2k.

I'd second the Concept 2 recommendation - great pain machines!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Waterrower for a couple years and have spent a lot of time on Concept 2s.

I preferred the Waterrowers feel and quietness over the C2, though the other guys have a point about the C2 being considered the standard. If you want to online-brag about your 2K time, then the C2 would've been the way to go. I found my Waterrower times to be a bit faster than my C2 times for the same distance, but not by a huge margin. I did have a bit of a problem with the wood warping very slightly on my WR which caused the spindle to occasionally tap the tank (taptaptaptaptap), but some paper shims to realign things straightened that up.

The Waterrower also looks a _lot_ better.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Feb 11, 16 18:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another former college rower here. I'd second the Concept 2 rec. They also hold value pretty well and are fairly easy to maintain. Concept 2 is a superb company with excellent support. Either way, their website is a great resource for workouts. And +1 on the comparison to running. There's a wide array of workout possibilities, from easier steady state, to low "cadence" (SPM/strokes per minute) power pieces, to short powerful sprints that build up lactic acid quickly.

I'm not a big fan of Crossfit, but they may also be a good resource for workout ideas, though my impression is that they tend towards shorter intervals and quick power pieces as opposed to endurance oriented ones.

One more thing: learn proper technique, namely how to engage your legs so as to "protect" your back. Lots of videos are out there on this, and if you live near a rowing club, you may be able to find a coach or a learn to row day. Learning to row alongside a mirror is really helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input, appreciate it!!! I did all the research and yes the C2 does have a better community but that was not really what we were interested in, hence the Waterrower which is quieter and much better at looking like a piece of quality furniture. Looking forward to starting to row!! Cheers and have a great weekend all!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a former college rower, maybe you can help me with a comfort question. I like to mix it up and bit and row once in a while....great workout. It seems my butt gets incredibly sore on longer row workouts. Is that form related or just I need to toughen up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
askimdog wrote:

The wife & I have had a Waterrower for a little over four years, now, and are still very pleased with it. The only repair we've had to make is replacing the computer. The toddler tried playing with the row handle and managed to shatter the computer screen. Twice. Fortunately, Waterrower makes a screen cover (didn't notice it as an option until ordering the second replacement computer) that does a smashing job of preventing the screen from getting smashed; well worth the $10 investment.

I've found rowing to be a great supplement to triathlon training, allowing a quality workout in +/- 30 minutes.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
most crew coaches would tell you to toughen up...but yeah, those seats can be uncomfortable, especially if you're skinny and/or have tight glutes + hamstrings.

you can cut some thin foam padding in the shape of the seat and tape/glue it on top to provide a little cushion. some people even do that in the actual boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
As a former college rower, maybe you can help me with a comfort question. I like to mix it up and bit and row once in a while....great workout. It seems my butt gets incredibly sore on longer row workouts. Is that form related or just I need to toughen up?

There are two kinds of seat pads made: one that's cheap made of cheaper foam, and also thicker gel ones. The attitude among coaches is probably to toughen up, but in some ways, the seats perhaps could be further customized, similar to how there are hundreds of bike saddles rather than a one-size-fits-all for bikes. I raced and erged with a cheap foam seat pad, as did a few other guys on my team (a very good D1 program), so I don't think there's any stigma against it – certainly not that I've experienced. I think the common rowing attitude to "just toughen up" is mostly an act played out by people who think that toughness can overcome anything, as opposed to those who understand that comfort can lead to efficiency and speed.

The cheaper foam ones contour to your sit bones over time and make erging more comfortable. This is what I'd use: https://www.vespoli.com/...&products_id=186

Note: it has an adhesive backing, but I don't recommend taking off the entire backing. Just a little at a time, so that you can move it from one seat to another and have it stick just a little. Otherwise you won't be able to remove it or adjust it very easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Race pace (2000m race taking, depending on your fitness level 5:40 to 8:00) - 5-7x5minutes on, 5 minutes off

And anaerobic - 10 x 1 minute on, 1 minute off. The minute on is very very hard.

You were once a rower?
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

You were once a rower?

What would you know about it?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
DC Pattie wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

You were once a rower?

What would you know about it?

15 years, can you believe it?
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor rowing [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer to live in denial.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook