Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Independent full distance for 2017
Quote | Reply
I did IMNC, and although I understand why the bike course was shortened, there were a few things that were completely unimpressive about Ironman itself, such as the lack of port-a-potties on the bike course and no swim cap option for those of us with latex allergies (I have hives now--fun!). I had really expected more for the money I paid, and I have had better experiences at a couple of shorter independent races that I have done (Musselman, Savageman, Pittsburgh). I don't feel that I have done a full IM distance, and I am looking into one for next year, leaning heavily toward an independent race.

So far, I have found the following races within reasonable driving distance that fit in my schedule.

Michigan Titanium
Peasantman
Rev 3 Cedar Point

Does anyone have experiences with any of these? I don't have a problem with hills, but I do have a hard time in the heat.
Quote Reply
Re: Independent full distance for 2017 [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Floridian
Redman

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Independent full distance for 2017 [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:
Great Floridian
Redman

Too far away and too hot. Plus, I have been to Florida several times and hate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for the Michigan Titanium. Well run event with good spectators. I ran a leg of it with our local chapter of My Team Triumph last year and had a blast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the Rev 3. Their organizational prowess is better than IMs in my opinion. Plus they aren't bastards. No one is going to DQ you for running through a finish line holding hands with family or friends. If your flight is delayed they'll probably let you check-in the bike on race morning.

(The height of stupid was an IM race this past year where they told us at referee briefing that we weren't allowed to wear sunglasses during bike check in. Sure they can do that, just like we can choose not to race their events)

Does it have to be a full? Challenge Penticton 2017 is a 3/4 Ironman distance. That sounds like fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MiTi (Michigan Titanium) is put on by a great group of people and I think that goes a long ways for making a great experience. I volunteered at the finish last year so I could watch some friends come in and the crowd support is pretty minimal, but I think you're going to find that with any independent race compared to an IM. The swim is in a nice private lake, bike has a few hills but nothing to be afraid of (lots of chip seal and shitty MI roads though), and the run course has a few little hills as well, but nothing too bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Independent full distance for 2017 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge Penticon sounds interesting for some time in the future, and I would like to make it to BC someday. However, it would not work for next year. Plus, IMNC was supposed to be my first full. I don't care if they called my name and said I was an Ironman when I crossed the finish line, I didn't get the sense of accomplishment that I was looking for. Those with more experience on this forum might think that it is petty, but I want to do the full distance. When I was in high school, the worst day of the year for me was running the mile, so this is a big deal personally.
Quote Reply
Re: Independent full distance for 2017 [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is two for Michigan. That's good to hear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Challenge Penticon sounds interesting for some time in the future, and I would like to make it to BC someday. However, it would not work for next year. Plus, IMNC was supposed to be my first full. I don't care if they called my name and said I was an Ironman when I crossed the finish line, I didn't get the sense of accomplishment that I was looking for. Those with more experience on this forum might think that it is petty, but I want to do the full distance. When I was in high school, the worst day of the year for me was running the mile, so this is a big deal personally.

I totally get it. Worst day of the week for me was gym class... which I'd usually cut and sneak out to the computer science lab. I had the key. Things change.

If you want to make it out to BC some day then you have to do Whistler. It is amazing. No more WTC for me except Whistler and Victoria. I know I know.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Oct 24, 16 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Rev 3 Cedar Point, can't comment on the others. Did Cedar Point as my first full a few years ago and had a great experience. Bike course was a bit lonely on the second loop, but I imagine this is true for any independent full. Good support and put on by a great group of people. A few rough roads on the bike, but nothing too bad IMO. Run course through downtown Sandusky was nice and very spectator friendly. Both bike and run course are very flat. Race is in September so heat was not bad, but can vary a lot in Ohio that time of year. Being right on Lake Erie there is usually a bit of wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Do the Rev 3. Their organizational prowess is better than IMs in my opinion. Plus they aren't bastards. No one is going to DQ you for running through a finish line holding hands with family or friends. If your flight is delayed they'll probably let you check-in the bike on race morning.

(The height of stupid was an IM race this past year where they told us at referee briefing that we weren't allowed to wear sunglasses during bike check in. Sure they can do that, just like we can choose not to race their events)

Does it have to be a full? Challenge Penticton 2017 is a 3/4 Ironman distance. That sounds like fun.

2017 is the ITU Multisport Festival. It is not open to general registration, and you have to be part of your national team to compete. Let me know if you find "Challenge" anywhere on the website: http://penticton2017.com/

The real question is what happens in 2018. Will Challenge Penticton even return and if so, in what form?
Quote Reply
Re: Independent full distance for 2017 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

2017 is the ITU Multisport Festival. It is not open to general registration, and you have to be part of your national team to compete. Let me know if you find "Challenge" anywhere on the website: http://penticton2017.com/

The real question is what happens in 2018. Will Challenge Penticton even return and if so, in what form?
That's in August. The open race is in July:

http://www.challenge-family.com/challenge-penticton/

https://www.raceit.com/...true&event=38461
Quote Reply
Re: Independent full distance for 2017 [ohio_tri_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cedar Point would be nice because it is the shortest drive, although with the timing, it would mean no Savageman. Peasantman would be nice because we have friends near there, and it is in NY wine country (a very underrated area).

Are there any independent races of that distance in PA, MD, or VA? Or has WTC bought them all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that correction. So they got kicked out of their date slot, but are giving folks an opportunity to do the same race a month earlier! My guess then is they will move back to August in 2018, and will take a look at the 2017 turn-out for their race to see if they should go back to a full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman has an accommodation for latex type allergies (I have an allergy to a preservative in neoprene).

Though I ended up just wearing the cap they gave me since I'm usually ok, I was able to secure an exemption. After emailing the race, the response I got was that I could wear the cap I wanted and that I was to present myself to the solution a table at registration so they knew who I was.

Try emailing the RD or the race inbox to see if they can help. (The race iirc was Muskoka 70.3)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"(The height of stupid was an IM race this past year where they told us at referee briefing that we weren't allowed to wear sunglasses during bike check in. Sure they can do that, just like we can choose not to race their events) "

I'm just curious - can't for the life of me think of why this would be. What was the reason given for not being allowed to wear sunglasses when you check your bike in?????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's off topic from what you're asking for (I'll get on-topic in a minute), but there is irony somewhere
- in the number of people who insist on doing IM-branded events - presumably largely in the name of hearing that phrase "you are an ironman"
- that some of those people should now feel unsatisfied having not gotten to complete the distance
- and now think they will just go find a non-branded event to go do like there are plenty of options.

I'm not saying you fit this bill, but I'm guessing some on the FB page do - and participants such as them are almost directly responsible for the death of the non-branded events those folks would now hope to be able to find.

Back to your question. Do your goals require triathlon? Or a standard distance? Because if you want epic experiences, I'd suggest the American Zofingen long course duathlon (in New Paltz, NY, mid May - you pretty much have to search ST to find info on it), or go back to Savageman and do that 2-day/3 race deal. I may do the latter after I'm done chasing Powerman Zofingen (most definitely not a local event).

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Independent full distance for 2017 [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have tried. The rules made it sound totalitarian. With independent races, I just email the director and explain then wear my own silicone cap of the correct color.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Michigan Titanium in 2014 as my first ever 140.6. It was a great race, great company, and a great group of volunteers. Lake swim is almost assuredly a wetsuit-legal swim as the lake is spring-fed. The bike ride is a mix of flats and rollers, through some pretty country-side. The run is two loops on a quiet road, except for where the start/end area which is on sidewalk next to a busy road. I enjoyed the experience and will do it again.

I did IM Louisiville two weeks ago and it was a different experience. There are LOTS more athletes at IM Lou, so I never felt I was alone. In fact, I often felt I wasn't alone enough on the bike. MITI first loop of bike had a decent number of athletes, but the second loop was very quiet. IM Lou run was awesome for me, as I focused on the other athletes, looking at jersey's, trying to figure out who I knew, etc. This kept me going and focused on something other than my run until dark. Again, at MITI the run course was sprinkled with athletes, but not nearly to the extent of IM Lou.

Two flavors of the same drink. Both were quality events and I would do either again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I should have tried. The rules made it sound totalitarian. With independent races, I just email the director and explain then wear my own silicone cap of the correct color.

Could you just double cap?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Challenge Penticton race in July 2017 is the traditional half-Ironman distance, not 3/4. They went to the ITU long-course distances for 2016 as a trial for the ITU Champs to be held there in August 2017.
Quote Reply
Re: Independent full distance for 2017 [Kentcart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentcart wrote:
I did Michigan Titanium in 2014 as my first ever 140.6. It was a great race, great company, and a great group of volunteers. Lake swim is almost assuredly a wetsuit-legal swim as the lake is spring-fed. The bike ride is a mix of flats and rollers, through some pretty country-side. The run is two loops on a quiet road, except for where the start/end area which is on sidewalk next to a busy road. I enjoyed the experience and will do it again.

I did IM Louisiville two weeks ago and it was a different experience. There are LOTS more athletes at IM Lou, so I never felt I was alone. In fact, I often felt I wasn't alone enough on the bike. MITI first loop of bike had a decent number of athletes, but the second loop was very quiet. IM Lou run was awesome for me, as I focused on the other athletes, looking at jersey's, trying to figure out who I knew, etc. This kept me going and focused on something other than my run until dark. Again, at MITI the run course was sprinkled with athletes, but not nearly to the extent of IM Lou.

Two flavors of the same drink. Both were quality events and I would do either again.

My concern about a small race is that I will lose focus when I am out there alone. Of course that would help me resist the urge to screw up my pacing by chasing down the person ahead of me. I am really bad about that in longer races.
Quote Reply
Re: Independent full distance for 2017 [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
happyscientist wrote:

Could you just double cap?
I do if I have to, but just the contact with my hands when I put it on makes me break out. It doesn't take much.
Quote Reply
Re: Independent full distance for 2017 [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I know it's off topic from what you're asking for (I'll get on-topic in a minute), but there is irony somewhere
- in the number of people who insist on doing IM-branded events - presumably largely in the name of hearing that phrase "you are an ironman"
- that some of those people should now feel unsatisfied having not gotten to complete the distance
- and now think they will just go find a non-branded event to go do like there are plenty of options.

I'm not saying you fit this bill, but I'm guessing some on the FB page do - and participants such as them are almost directly responsible for the death of the non-branded events those folks would now hope to be able to find.

Back to your question. Do your goals require triathlon? Or a standard distance? Because if you want epic experiences, I'd suggest the American Zofingen long course duathlon (in New Paltz, NY, mid May - you pretty much have to search ST to find info on it), or go back to Savageman and do that 2-day/3 race deal. I may do the latter after I'm done chasing Powerman Zofingen (most definitely not a local event).

It isn't important to me to hear someone say that I am an Ironman (it was anticlimactic on Saturday), but I do want to know that I can complete the distance.

The duathlon at Zofingen that alternates trail running and cycling looks awesome, but I can't fit it into my schedule next year because of a planned trail race in mid-May. I will keep that in mind for other years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did MiTi 70.3 this year. It was a fun race and executed extremely well.

As mentioned above, the lake is crystal clear and gas boats are not allowed on it so provided the weather is kind to you it will be a very chill swim.

The bike has one good climb that isn't even that big, just a steeper grade. The rest are rollers and flat, false flats. It was windy this year, also caught a little bit of rain. A 1 mile section of the course that you hit twice on the half, 4 times on the full was freshly dumped chip seal. That sucked and a few did flat on it. Aside, it was an interesting course. Primarily open roads if that plays a factor in your decision.

The run in 2016 was a 6.55 mile loop, 3.275 out then 3.275 back. I'm not a huge fan of doing loops, but I think this was a smart move as it's easier to provide support. You hit an aid station every mile, sometimes less than. And in the case you are doing the full it won't be so lonely on the run.

Definitely recommend staying in Grand Rapids, and hitting Founder's Brewery while you're up there. Great beer, great food.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply

Prev Next