Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

In the name of equality
Quote | Reply
The LA Marthon commercials are touting a gimmick similar to the Life and Times Tri where the female elites are given an early start so they can finish along with the elite men and everyone can pretend that they were really racing each other.

I can see it eliminating 2 problems of traditional starts: 1. elite women running among fast age group men. 2. More spectators will see the finish of the women's race because they won't have to wait 20 minutes.

But I can't get with the fantasy that the women are running with the men down to the wire which is how they bill it..

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of equality [Larry Himmel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larry,

You're correct, it's a fantasy - but maybe it will create more outside interest - especially on television.

Semi off subject - are you familiar with the television industry?
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of equality [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Larry,

You're correct, it's a fantasy - but maybe it will create more outside interest - especially on television. Years ago we wanted more outside interest for triathlon and we ended up with drafthlon. I suppose I'm a purist but I like watching a real contest as opposed to one that's been modified for wider appeal. This seems to be the wave of the future so I guess I'll just have to get used to it.
Semi off subject - are you familiar with the television industry? I only know from what I see on television. If you're from San Diego, I'm not that Larry Himmel. Larry
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of equality [Larry Himmel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the reasons for having the women go early is to have the media vehicles out of the way of the age groupers. I think there are some dangerous situations when the media vehicles have runners in front of them when covering the women with AG men just in front of and around them.

Banger
Quote Reply