Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

In an effort to rival Ironmanlive's technology
Quote | Reply
I am going to do some experimentation myself this weekend. Last month, the girlfriend bought a 30" Sony Plasma Screen TV. Noticing it has XVGA inputs, I am going to try and get her digital cable installed with internet access in the next week or so.

While none of this is too exciting, I AM wondering if anyone else has hooked up their TV's to their computers to watch Kona over the past couple of years. I'm wondering if there is good enough reason to try and pump the broadcast through my computer (or laptop) and output to the plasma screen? Am I waisting my time with this? Is the compression used by IM Live too pixelated? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

My best viewing was about 5 years ago when IM Live simply simulcasted the broadcast shown on the island. Live video, off topic comments, race clips of the camera guys actually talking to the athletes while in motion...it was awesome (even if it was a little windy and you heard as much wind noise as anything else). Still the best coverage I've seen to date. They even had 20 minute breaks every once in awhile which helped get a few things done here and there (bathroom breaks, eating, etc.) Of course, I watched this off a T1 line with a dual processor computer (an Intergraph Workstation that had graphics that far superseded standard graphics cards).

Heck, maybe if it works, I'll have a party in So.Cal to watch this live from now on ;-) (instead of waiting for the less-race-coverage-human interest story-filled-dramatic-Emmy Award winning-version)

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: In an effort to rival Ironmanlive's technology [Craigster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking to Lew Friedland at IM Canada. It sounds like the web coverage will be just awesome this year. Made me feel sad I will be there and not be able to watch it on the web, not :-)

Doubt the quality will be up to plasma tv standards but I bet you will be happy with it if you try it.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know, I'll bring supplies and/or a contribution !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to Kona (though I may get my boyfriend to do it) but to every Red Sox game my boyfriend gets over the internet (some MLB thing or other) and now that it's football season.... the screen is pretty good, a little "pixeled" or whatever you call it - sort of jerky, and occaisonally the feed breaks up, but all in all it's great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could also get a device to take the output of your PC and convert it to S-Video, then feed that into your VCR. With the time difference between you and Hawaii, the timing might be a little off for your party. I've got to believe that there will be some boring parts in 18 hours of coverage, so watching it live may not be the best thing. I haven't watched it live before, so I could be wrong about that. Still, the ability to start a little later and fast-forward through the dull parts seems like it would be useful. (You'd need two VCRs, one to record and one to watch, plus many tapes, and a countdown timer so you remember to swap tapes!)

Found this device for $160 that looks like it would do the trick: http://www.vpi.us/vga-tv-1024.html

I'm a little suprised there's no pay-per-view option via DirecTV or cable. I'd buy it if it were available -- and Tivo the whole race!

Lee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a good article on Extreme Tech or Pcmag about outputing High Definition signals from your computer. I watched Kona last year on my cable modem and it wasn't too good but I watch for hours anyway.

If you have the bucks the article on HD output describes what to buy and from whom. Not cheap and not perfect but if you're a nerdy person then I'd say go for it.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched several hours of it last year on my computer(19 inch monitor) and found that the image quality there was not too good, and that the player they used(forget which one it was at this point) only allowed you to blow it up so big, with no full screen option.

It was still worth watching, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it more sitting on the couch drinking a, ah, sports beverage, and of course, carbo-loading.

What I found most interesting about the whole thing was seeing the huge amount of raw footage, and being amazed how little of it was in the final network broadcast.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed, the Ironaman Live coverage in the first year or so was great. They had some technical glitchs, but by and large, if you could get a connection and you had a high-speed link, they had live-to-air, same day coverage of the event. Other than the technical issues there were two main problems:

1. Production costs to deliver this type of programing is very high.

2. There was and still is that main challenge of the internet - how do you generate direct subscription or advertising revenue? Remember, in other media, chiefly, TV and print, that revenue is the reason you are getting the coverage in the first place. NBC, Sports Illustrated or the NY Times is not doing it for free. They do it because advertisers are sold time/space and it is a profiatble business.

I seem to recall that they had to cut back severly on the Ironmanlive internet coverage for the simple reason that the costs were huge and there was little or no revenue to support it. I suspect that this advanced coverage over the internet will be in limbo until they figure out how to make it profitable or at least pay for itself.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: In an effort to rival Ironmanlive's technology [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the last few years it has not been on Big Island TV so it was not so easy to put out something ust for the internet. But, whether it is on Big Island TV or not my understanding is the coverage will be like OLN's TV coverage with live feeds from motorcycles, helicopters, etc.

I had been lobbying Lew to try to do a PPV thing. From what he described as planned, I took it back. It sounded awesome. Hope it is as good as described. Even if not, if it is close it will satisfy almost everyone (unless they have those dratted connection glitches they had in the past).

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: In an effort to rival Ironmanlive's technology [TriHanrahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of the decent video cards out nowadays have svideo outputs. That usually works for a simple picture on your TV. Keep in mind though, the refresh rate of your TV is different than your monitor, so the image is not as crisp. Plus you monitor has alot higher resolution than your TV (unless it is an HDTV, then is it closer).

I watched the live coverage last year on my 10' wide screen. That is how I have my home theater setup, though.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply