Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Improving my swimming after bike crash
Quote | Reply
Last year in May I had a terrible bike crash. Today I am back at the same shape in cycling and running
Recovery was long because I had 3 operations at my left shoulder and collarbone.
I have still metal plates inside which I will keep forever and as a miracle (according to doctors), I am back at swimming
after a painful initial period, it is since 2 months that I am swimming 10km per week but I see myself stuck with my speed.

I lost my left deltoid completely so that is a limiter for sure.
I was a 30' swimmer in a HIM race and 62' in full ironman
now, I can't manage better than 1'58/100m average on 12x100m in the pool

What would you suggest? anybody with similar experience of losing muscles after shoulder operation?
Deltoid is gone because axillaris nerve is gone

I ask because I see that despite I increase volume, i don't see anymore any speed improvement
Quote Reply
Re: Improving my swimming after bike crash [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i can't really help, but you might try asking around at your local swim clubs to see if anyone has any experience with para-swimming. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your crash, but glad to hear about your impressive recovery.

I think if you can find a good coach who can know your story and your limitations, he/she might be able to give you stroke adjustments (and workouts) to help you best get to your speed potential.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you've already gone through this but what helped me was all that 1-armed swimming. It actually improved my body position in the water because I had to rely more on my kicking. So my broken collar bone had a hidden benefit. Your injuries are much more substantial so just throwing this out there. Hope you find your groove and get some more speed back.
Quote Reply