Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Improving a beginner's swimming
Quote | Reply
Feel free to ignore this top section. Just giving you a background on where I'm coming from.

I've read a lot of posts on here about improving one's swimming and I can certainly agree with the "swim more. swim harder" perspective. Just like in the running and biking there aren't magic bullets unless you go from a cruiser bike to a super TT bike. ;) But it's always interesting with swimming as there seem to be a lot of disagreements/misconceptions/etc regarding how to improve one's swimming. Especially if you mention TI which I'm not doing here. ;)

Me. Adult onset swimmer. 3rd year in triathlons. My test pace for swimming was 1:41/100scy last time I tested so slow. Last two years I really just swam laps to make sure I could get through the HIMs I did. HIM chattanooga/august. Both wetsuit legal. Both with current. That made those swims easy.

So this year, I've decided to really add some focused time to start improving my swim since next year I plan on doing my first IM. So I attended a Swim Smooth clinic recently. I thought it was helpful and having video was great showing my many stroke flaws. I thought the instructor was good and really made it clear that you can have a balance between improving your swim technique and fitness. Not just waiting until you have the "perfect" technique to then focus on fitness/speed.

Cut to the chase already section

Anyway, I've started following one of the Swim Smooth HIM plans and I like it so far. They have workouts that focus on technique but don't ignore fitness and others that focus on swimming hard. Reading some of their stuff there were a couple interesting things they mention

One from here
http://www.swimsmooth.com/training_adv.html

Quote:
don't i need to swim faster than my threshold to improve it?
Believe it or not, no you don't. That line of thinking comes from "I'll train at this faster pace and my body will get used to it. That logic is flawed because the body doesn't work like that. When you train faster than threshold you end up splitting the train effect into your anaerobic system too - which you don't need much when you race

This is confusing to me because with bike and running there are tons of intervals that do just this

Quote:
What we're suggesting is you shift your big training sets away from anaerobic swimming to CSS swimming.

So, still include some anaerobic and sprint work but reduce it and give it less importance in your swimming."
Fair enough. They not say don't ever do it.

Honestly, I enjoy reading this stuff to try to get a better understanding but at my stage getting in the pool frequently will help. Working on some of my flaws will help. Swimming harder will help.

I'm curious how other more experienced swimmers view this perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Improving a beginner's swimming [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So first off - my resume....I've been swimming since I was about 5, competitively from the ages of ~8-18...did not swim in college, went with another sport, but probably could have at some lower-level school. I generally swim around 1:10/100meters

I have only trained with interval training my entire life, which included sprint work, technique work, kick work, etc.

I generally like to structure my workouts like this:

-500-800meter warm-up, focused on feeling "long" in the water
-1,000-1,500 meter main set - usually sets of 100s, 200s, mix of stuff depending on my mood (it can get boring!) - always on an interval, generally no more than 30 seconds rest inbetween reps - these longer sets can be fast sets, although mostly medium
-400-800 "hard" set - shorter sprints, 50s, 75s and 100s...(25 sprint / 25 easy / 25 tempo, for example x 8)
-200 meter kick - just because i like to chill sometimes, i have the slowest kick in the world and can only do breast-stroke kick
-100-200 meter cool down

That being said - I trained for max 1,650 in my career - so maybe these ultra long distances you just need to "swim", but i really doubt it....
Quote Reply
Re: Improving a beginner's swimming [Peterszew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I won't be abandoning hard interval sets. And what they are calling CSS (Critical Swim Speed) is threshold pace and they definitely have workouts where they are targeting keeping you at or near that pace rather that a lot of short sprints above that threshold. I'll see how it goes as I go along.
Quote Reply
Re: Improving a beginner's swimming [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I won't be abandoning hard interval sets. And what they are calling CSS (Critical Swim Speed) is threshold pace and they definitely have workouts where they are targeting keeping you at or near that pace rather that a lot of short sprints above that threshold. I'll see how it goes as I go along.

I'm relatively new to this sport but what I have learned is this obsession with levels, zones, thresholds, maxes, FTPs, XYZs, etc...end of the day, go out there, work hard, enjoy yourself and make the most of every mile. Mix in longer slower work, shorter faster work and some stuff in between, you'll get some great gains.
Quote Reply