Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Imperfection visible in carbon fiber
Quote | Reply
Hi,

While inspecting this EC90 tubular, I found a really small crack, mainly only visible under a flashlight or camera flash. I don't feel anything with my nail and it's possibly been there for 1000+ miles if I look at the brake pattern.

Should I be concerned? :(

Quote Reply
Re: Imperfection visible in carbon fiber [Xcessiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would send the picture to Easton and ask them. To me, it looks like it might just be a seam in the layup. Looks too straight to be a crack but, at the same time, this is one of the things that bothers me about CF: it's very hard to tell if something is structural. Can you pull the tire off and look at the rest of the rim?

I'll reiterate: send a picture to Easton and ask them for guidance on what to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Imperfection visible in carbon fiber [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I would send the picture to Easton and ask them. To me, it looks like it might just be a seam in the layup. Looks too straight to be a crack but, at the same time, this is one of the things that bothers me about CF: it's very hard to tell if something is structural. Can you pull the tire off and look at the rest of the rim?

I'll reiterate: send a picture to Easton and ask them for guidance on what to do.

It's not a mold (there are 4 symmetric ones), but it is not visible on the inside area.
Last edited by: Xcessiv: Sep 16, 14 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like the end of the ply... if there is no step in the surface, or gap then most likely the ply...if you run a pencil over it an it picks up along the length of the mark then it may be a crack.. agree contact easton.

Note the ply end / start of is visible on all my carbon products, its the nature of the construction..
Quote Reply
Re: Imperfection visible in carbon fiber [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
looks like the end of the ply... if there is no step in the surface, or gap then most likely the ply...if you run a pencil over it an it picks up along the length of the mark then it may be a crack.. agree contact easton.

Note the ply end / start of is visible on all my carbon products, its the nature of the construction..
I thought the ply was symmetric? There are 4 very symmetric ones, but this defect is not part of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends on the manufacturer and perhaps more the technician constructing the part...
sadly just because the manufacturing standard says lay the component element "this way" doesn't mean that's what we always get..

That said a variation does not always mean a problem of cause for concern... if this had happened it would be nice to think the internal manuf. QC would have noted it and confirmed it no issue.. ie an acceptable variance etc..

The only peeps who can confirm this in your mind tho is Easton..
Quote Reply
Post deleted by sharkbait_au [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

^^ This. Don't void a warranty with advice from us ST's, even if our advice is given with the best intentions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Xcessiv,

It is hard to tell based on that photo. Please send me some high res images and I will consult with the engineers to get a definitive answer for you.

Craig
craigr(at)eastoncycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xcessiv wrote:
Hi,

While inspecting this EC90 tubular, I found a really small crack, mainly only visible under a flashlight or camera flash. I don't feel anything with my nail and it's possibly been there for 1000+ miles if I look at the brake pattern.

Should I be concerned? :(

If I understand the pic correctly, it looks like something scraped/sliced your tub a little (perpendicular) and scraped off a small thin layer of your rim.