Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Images from the 2018 Breca SwimRun Wanaka
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Images from the 2018 Breca SwimRun Wanaka [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice photos Herbert. I was there doing the sprint race, but it didn't feel like a sprint. Would have said hello if I saw you out on the course.
It is good how you focused on the full distance swimrun race, as they all looked pretty fit and experienced in swimrun to me. Intersting to see one of the teams using a pull bag for there shoes. It was my first swimrun and I used an inflatable waterproof swim pull bag (chillswim brand), for putting my shoes in during teh swim. Taking shoes on and off and putting them in a bag was time consuming and it was also a bit hard on the feet walking out of the water with some spots being quite rocky.
I am still trying to work through some of the options for when I do another swimrun race, but will just do what the majority do in future. Am still trying to get my head around the idea of running 45.5km with a wetsuit on and swimming 8.5km with shoes on though (considering it was 22degrees celsius in Wanaka during the race at times).
My guess is there will be more rules in swimrun in future and that there will be more gear developments that change things.

G.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Last edited by: triathlonshots: Mar 28, 18 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful indeed, thanks for sharing Herbert. Is it cold? What was the temp on race day?
Quote Reply
Re: Images from the 2018 Breca SwimRun Wanaka [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was not there. I reported from a distance. Glad I made it sound authentic. :-)

Shoes on and off is a big time suck and it is faster and simpler to swim in them and use a pull buoy. Plus we drag a bag behind you.

More races are coming surely including some warmer ones with no mandatory wetsuit rules.

How did you like the team format?

triathlonshots wrote:
Nice photos Herbert. I was there doing the sprint race, but it didn't feel like a sprint. Would have said hello if I saw you out on the course.
It is good how you focused on the full distance swimrun race, as they all looked pretty fit and experienced in swimrun to me. Intersting to see one of the teams using a pull bag for there shoes. It was my first swimrun and I used an inflatable waterproof swim pull bag (chillswim brand), for putting my shoes in during teh swim. Taking shoes on and off and putting them in a bag was time consuming and it was also a bit hard on the feet walking out of the water with some spots being quite rocky.
I am still trying to work through some of the options for when I do another swimrun race, but will just do what the majority do in future. Am still trying to get my head around the idea of running 45.5km with a wetsuit on and swimming 8.5km with shoes on though (considering it was 22degrees celsius in Wanaka during the race at times).
My guess is there will be more rules in swimrun in future and that there will be more gear developments that change things.

G.

Quote Reply
Re: Images from the 2018 Breca SwimRun Wanaka [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colder temps are not as much of an issue in SwimRun since you are running to the water and running right away again as soon as you are out. I have run in my SwimRun wetsuit in very cold conditions (20 degrees F) and was plenty warm

nickwhite wrote:
Beautiful indeed, thanks for sharing Herbert. Is it cold? What was the temp on race day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you may have been there as I had read your post on slowtwitch from late 2016 saying you hoped to make it to Wanaka. After replying on here I went back to the Breca website and followed the link to the photos from there which are on Flickr; lots of nice photos and I then knew some of them had been taken by a women on the day.

It is the first time I have done a team event whereby you are racing alongside your team mate, so it seems a good stepping stone to doing further team events. I didn't get to practise with my team mate before the event, so that made things a bit tricky. In this Wanaka swimrun I was a faster swimmer and my team mate was fitter in the running, in which case training or practising together in advance would have helped in some ways.
I really like the team aspect and the format of swimrun, but it can be tricky to find a partner of the similiar ability who can make some time to train together.
Navigation in the swim was difficult in Wanaka when the wind picked up later in the day and the waves got quite big. Interesting to see the winning team who did the long race look to be using a bungy connecting cord during the swim. My team mate reckoned it would be the way to go in future, but I would like to trial that in advance also (or preferably not use a connecting cord).

G.

Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Last edited by: triathlonshots: Mar 28, 18 18:24
Quote Reply
Re: Images from the 2018 Breca SwimRun Wanaka [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tether is a huge help and I have used it in all races so far. Mostly in the water but in one race also during the run.

In the water as a 1:35 100 yard swimmer I usually get pulled, but typically the person pulling me does not feel me. In Switzerland last year we averaged 1:30 100 meters for 6km total
Quote Reply