Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm in Forster Aus, need to know where the old Ironman course went.
Quote | Reply
I'm travelling up the East coast of Australia with the family and have stopped in Forster for a couple of days. I like the nostalgia of Ironman courses and so was hoping to run along part of the old run course here. Can anyone here tell me where the swim was held and where the run course went?
Many Thanks,
Will
Last edited by: Barlow: Aug 4, 15 22:19
Quote Reply
Re: I'm in Forster Aus, need to know where the old Ironman course went. [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have an answer for you, but try posting on forums.transitions.org.au as someone there will be able to help you ou
Quote Reply
Re: I'm in Forster Aus, need to know where the old Ironman course went. [Aidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll see if I can get a post on there using my mobile phone.
Will
Quote Reply
Re: I'm in Forster Aus, need to know where the old Ironman course went. [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim was held in Forster keys, go south out of Forster and turn right into the keys area, drive all the way down u till you hit the water, turn right and the park on your left is where we use to start. Swim south for approx 1 km and return and repeat.

The bike headed back to main road and then turn south, all the way down past pacific palms to tarbuck bay, turn around, on the way back turn into Cooma Park road and head out there for about 17km, turn around and back to the main road, back into Forster, turn around the roundabout at Head Street and repeat, 2nd lap after the roundabout turn left and finish in front of town beach.

The run headed out of the bridge, down the Main Street and then turn towards the beach, down beach street to the rock pool, track back along the street on the river side of manning street, back over the bridge, back along town beach, back onto head street, turn into...actually I will need to check the rest, you basically do a couple of turns and end up running adjacent to the golf course, then up a hill, down past the industrial estate, back onto the main road heading south, then turn left at the high school and up there a couple of k's until the turnaround and backtrack, repeat again and then back to town beach for the best finishing line there ever was.

Shallow not the best water swim
Dead road, pot holes, not the best ride
Crossing that bridge was special on the run
And then that finish line
Still no better
The home of IM in Aus.
10 years removed but us old stagers will never forget that finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aussie Iron has nailed it but I must add that despite the surface, the ride is pretty nice once its winding through the trees and around the lakes on the southern end of the loop.

WRT the swim, the water near the main bridge in town looks fantastic but its not suitable for a mass openwater race sadly. I have done a sprint race which had the swim off the beach but the IM never did this I don't think. Forster Keys was used which is practical but plain by comparison.

I most recently raced there last year in the Challenge Half - was great to be on that old course. A lot of legends of our sport raced down there.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm in Forster Aus, need to know where the old Ironman course went. [AussieIron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks guys. Foster seems like a really cool place for an IM even though it's winter here at the moment. I ran over the bridge today which is pretty cool, but I'll check out some more of the run course tomorrow.
Thanks for the info.
Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are still in the neighbourhood and have time, a drive south towards the lakes and the beaches there might be a nice day out. Lots of really nice places there - and you could get a feel for the bike course at its best.
Quote Reply