Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm a lil slow! Can someone explain Stems to me.
Quote | Reply
I'm all torso, not comfortable on my TT bike, and want to change the stock stem. 140 mm was recommended to me...whats the deal with the degrees on the description though?
Quote Reply
Re: I'm a lil slow! Can someone explain Stems to me. [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stem angle, typically something line 0, -6, or -17, is the angle the long axis of the stem deviates from perpendicular to the steerer.

Quote Reply
Re: I'm a lil slow! Can someone explain Stems to me. [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, you can install stems up or down, to rise or drop the bar: usually they'll make a 6 degree and 17 degree model, to rise or flatten it out accordingly.

140 is long, but it makes sense if you're all torso.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow 140 stem is a long stem on a 58 road bike! Was it recommended as a result of a fit? I would be cautious about putting that length of stem on a tt bike.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm a lil slow! Can someone explain Stems to me. [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of stems aren't even offered longer than 120mm. A really long stem is a concern, because it potentially puts you ahead of the front axle. IT just has the potential to make it a little unstable under braking I think... and a lot more prone to go over your bars in a hard stop.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you say more about your height, inseam, etc? Or even take a photo of yourself on the bike. People on this site are helpful with fit recommendations.

They are right: a 140 will be hard to find, and you probably don't want one that long due to dangerous weighting and control issues that can arise. There are other ways to get a good fit other than such a long stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your saddle is in the proper place and you need a 140 stem on a tt bike, you're on the wrong bike or the wrong size.
You'll have so much weight on the front of the bike you'll be even less stable than the typical tri/tt bike.
Sorry.

Brian Grasky
Grasky Endurance: World Championship Triathlon Coaching; Professional Training Camps
RETUL fitter, Biomechanist, USAT Level 3 Coach, USAC Level 2 Coach
Last edited by: seebritri: Apr 16, 14 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stem angle changes your hip angle and comfot levels on a bike. Low can be more aero, but can be uncomfortable for some of us. Closed hip angles may reduce power too.
As others have said, 140 is very long for most riders. It may mean you need a larger bike frame, or not. A good bike fitter that sees you on your frame with a 140mm stem could tell you if it is frame or stem. LBS will often sell a long stem to compensate for an ill fitting (short) frame. Again, bike handling "can" be difficult if you are too far out on that front wheel.
OR a 140 might work great. Not enough info to know.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'4", I have been fit before, but just go new areo bars...and don't feel comfortable. I'll take it into a shop and see if they can help...thank you all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What AndresLD said. 140 is long for a road bike. It's very long for a tri or TT bike. Can you post a picture of your bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I took off the stem today, it's a 80mm...I'm going to go to a bike shop and try a 100-120mm one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im in the same boat as you are it seems. Im 6'4" but have a 32" inseam. The 2 bikes I rode were a 61 frame with a 100mm stem, and a 58 frame with a 120 stem. Hope this helps at all

Twitter
Quote Reply