Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ideal month of Recovery?
Quote | Reply
My big push for training/intensity is happening this month before I take a month off to prep for the upcoming cross season. I've never really taken time off minus a month where I did literally nothing except drink beer and eat crappy food. Coming back into training I was feeling good, but holy cow I had no power in the legs.

So I'm wondering if there's a special method that a lot of athletes use in regards to keeping some intensity in their system, but at the same time allowing for appropriate recovery and somewhat "resetting" the body to be able to go back to pushing high intensity/volume to lead up for another peak.

I have a pretty flexible schedule with no real commitments, except from the 21st-28th I'll be with family, and won't be bringing my bike on the trip. So I guess I could consider that a week of complete rest, minus the occasional hike in the woods.
Quote Reply
Re: Ideal month of Recovery? [PatrickOfSteele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a difference between recovery and losing fitness. 10 days of limited activity should be all you would need for your body and mind to recover, unless you did some crazy-ass ultra endurance race like Badwater.

Your loss of power was from a loss of fitness. Use your month to build strength and have a break from structured training. Do something fun like take up a new sport, but drinking beer and eating nachos for 30 days will just kill any fitness you have.
Quote Reply
Re: Ideal month of Recovery? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. My plan was to focus on losing a bit more weight to get me to a decent power/weight ratio, I have about 5-7 pounds I need to lose, so I figure that I can do 2 ish pounds in May, and then other 3-5 in June with a healthy diet and not have to worry about being fueled up for anything intensive.

I was planning on taking a few days off, doing my FTP testing maybe a week into my break, and after that maybe doing 5 or so minutes of high intensity work *5x1 min or 10x30 second* stuff. Enough to keep myself at the intensity but nothing that i'm having to haul myself around in a wheelchair.

I may forego time on the bike and just stick with weight training. A month of being in the gym and getting a decent squat/deadlift may be what helps me in the long run....
Last edited by: PatrickOfSteele: May 4, 15 15:54
Quote Reply