Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ideal CX1 Gearing for Cross and Gravel
Quote | Reply
For people who are using their cross bike as a dual purpose gravel bike and happen to use CX1 what is your gearing? I am debating between 42-44-46-48 and just cannot decide. For Gravel i know that the 48-50 is ideal, but for cross we have fairly fast courses and i think i can get away with a 46. With the 12-36 cassette that can really open up the potential as well for a slightly overgeared cross bike (46-48 up front).

In general i thought this post could start a general discussion on setting up cross bikes as gravel/training setups and what is the best method.
Quote Reply
Re: Ideal CX1 Gearing for Cross and Gravel [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I no longer race cross but do a fair bit of gravel riding and just left the same gearing. I have two rings up front. I'm in the Seattle area so its hilly and could not get away with a 46 up front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run 42x11-28 for commuting and did a few cx races with that gearing and was happy. I think the big factor is what kind of gravel you will be riding.

Nor sure of the exact math, but I would think that 44x11-32 or 48x12-36 would get the job done for just about anything. Also depends on your cadence preferences. Some people would rather have an extra cog in the middle of the cassette that gets used more, some would rather have a bail out gear.

I would rather spin out and have to coast a bit sooner rather than being way over-geared trying to climb a hill. Have done King's Mtn and Old La Honda on my tri bike with 39/23 as my easiest gear and it wasn't that fun. If I was stronger/lighter then my opinion may change. But I would rather tuck and coast at 38mph vs 42mph and have the climbing gears.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ideal CX1 Gearing for Cross and Gravel [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40x11-26 has always steered me in the right direction for cyclocross races. It's what I plan to throw on my new cross bike here in the near future. I may consider a heavier front gear *42 and MAYBE 44* if I was talking about gravel racing, but I can't actually base that on anything aside from theory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kinda impossible answer...

So may variables:-
Gradients you ride, your fitness, the grade of gravel you are riding, your preferred cadence, your tolerance to gaps in gearing...

For me under the following conditions:

Flat / rolling pea sized gravel / fire trail
300w FTP
96rpm preferred cadence
35mm tires at 34 / 38 psi tubeless
40t- 11-28t
With that its only on false flats down hill that i would need a higher gear..

For my gravel grinding routes (3-6hr hilly and varied rides etc as opposed 60-120 min CX style bashing around) i run a 36-46t front...
Zero negatives, and just more options..
Quote Reply
Re: Ideal CX1 Gearing for Cross and Gravel [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
Kinda impossible answer...

So may variables:-
Gradients you ride, your fitness, the grade of gravel you are riding, your preferred cadence, your tolerance to gaps in gearing...

For me under the following conditions:

Flat / rolling pea sized gravel / fire trail
300w FTP
96rpm preferred cadence
35mm tires at 34 / 38 psi tubeless
40t- 11-28t
With that its only on false flats down hill that i would need a higher gear..

For my gravel grinding routes (3-6hr hilly and varied rides etc as opposed 60-120 min CX style bashing around) i run a 36-46t front...
Zero negatives, and just more options..

I am a cat 3 roadie, 150lbs, good power, living in a fairly hilly part of Kansas City. The hardest part and reason for this question is that most of the gravel riding is rolling/hilly but no climbing. I am trying to maximize my gearing for gravel and still be able to not be over geared in cross races. Most of the cross races are not too bad locally, lots of grass, moderate use of hills, and some long hole shots. A few cat 1/2's i race with use 46 tooth rings as an all around ring but that seems pretty big, thinking a 42-44 might be a good mix for both. Then swap in a 48-50 for gravel races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd say forget the 1x and do either a standard compact or mid compact.

If you are doing gravel races, you won't want to have a 1x in my opinion. Especially if you are doing anything long (like Dirty Kanza, Gravel Worlds, etc). You'll want to be able to spin up hills into strong headwinds, and still keep up when you are motoring on flats and downhill tailwind sections. I don't think a 1 allows you to do that.

In my opinion, a 1x in gravel solves a problem that doesn't exist. There's just no reason, other than it looks cool and it is trendy. Like any other trend, I think this one will pas (on gravel at least, but probably not on cx or mtb)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got you...

I'd go with a 42 and an 11-28 11spd for starters..

For wet CX ie high load i'd have a 40t on stand by tho....

For flat rolling light gravel i guess i'd swap to a 44t..

In summary i'd runa 36-46 with a front mech ;)

Helpful much? thought not..
Quote Reply
Re: Ideal CX1 Gearing for Cross and Gravel [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
I'd go with a 42 and an 11-28 11spd for starters..

That combo sounds like suicide for a gravel race. If you're serious about gravel racing, keep a double. If you're serious about cx, you can figure out what gearing works for you based on what you've run on a double in the past. I find a 10speed 11-32 more than adequate for cx. I'm not picky about fine tuning a cadence and generally just need a substantially different gear (NOW) so the large jumps aren't problematic for me.
Last edited by: commendatore: Jul 29, 15 19:51
Quote Reply
Re: Ideal CX1 Gearing for Cross and Gravel [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hence i said run a double.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Know what kind of terrain you will be riding. Any gravel ride I can do from my house means long sustained climbs with gradients in excess of 10% with peak pitches at close to 20% (mostly old logging tracks, not farm roads). On these roads, gearing is a limit going up, and skill/comfort is a limit going down - not gearing. If I traveled out of town that may be different - but I run a 46-38 front (didn't have a 110bcd crank at the time i built the bike) and 11-32 rear cassette. 36-32 would be a better low gear IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only thought is I can remember exactly one time I ran out of top end gear during a race, but have many, many races (& rides) where a bit easier gear would have been useful, even if it was to maintain traction up a loose climb. I did my first two cross seasons on a 39-53 and just never shifted out of the 39. I'd go with a 42 and something with an 11 in the back.
Quote Reply
Re: Ideal CX1 Gearing for Cross and Gravel [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goldentech wrote:
My only thought is I can remember exactly one time I ran out of top end gear during a race, but have many, many races (& rides) where a bit easier gear would have been useful, even if it was to maintain traction up a loose climb. I did my first two cross seasons on a 39-53 and just never shifted out of the 39. I'd go with a 42 and something with an 11 in the back.

Thanks for the thoughts everybody!! I decided on a 2x as the 1x was just too limiting for a cross/gravel/road setup. Ended up with 46/36 up front and 11-28 in the rear.
Quote Reply