Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Icarus / doping doc review [Arnaud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arnaud wrote:
I was in that race (Haute Route Alpes 2014). My Quarq died on the second stage, so I don't have good data, but my FTP was probably around 300W for 76kg. I finished outside of the top 100.

There's no way he finished 14th on a FTP of 250W.

At the time when they said 'your power has gone up from 250 to 350' or whatever the values were, they never said FTP and I thought power in what context. Being that it seems low and he got through such a tough event where he implies there are a handful of dudes either freak athletes or clearly on something I can't see hid base FTP being 250 so I think people are speculating a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus / doping doc review [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the U.S. I'd be happy if USAT would mandatory test 2 of 3 (or 3 of 5 if they go that deep) of the podium winners at National Championship events. Same for ITU. Place 1-3 and your names go in a hat. 2 out of 3 of you get to test. This has a cost associated with it, and I'd be happy to foot the prorated bill in the fee as an athlete at a National or World Championship event.

For WTS, I'd be happy if they'd mandatory test 1 of each AG podium at random at each event that has qualifying spots for their respective 70.3 or 140.6 World Championship races. This also has a cost associated with it and I'm also willing to foot the prorated bill in the fee.

Too much overhead and cost deterrent to levying testing on every USAT sanctioned event. An extra $5-10 per entrant for a random sprint is likely an additional cost deterrent to new triathletes coming out to smaller races. It's just not tenable in the long term unless testing becomes a) more effective and b) more cost efficient. I don't like dopers, but I'm not going to go to the mat over finding them at every race on the schedule. It's not possible. If some jerk is going to bring his low-T hormones or mexican EPO to the start line against me at a local-yocal race...whatever. You win the playground, you elementary school asshole.

The major championships above are an entirely different matter and I'd like the respective governing bodies to make at least minimum effort to catch the most blatant cheaters out there. Per the Icarus doc, there are plenty of holes in this approach. I don't think we'll catch the most sophisticated folks and certainly not all of them. But it would deter most and catch a few. That's better than putting on the blinders, effectively sanctioning rampant doping.
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus / doping doc review [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think they were just looking at some random segment and the "100W increase!" was a nice little sound bite. Had nothing to do with FTP as I recall.
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus / doping doc review [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. During that segment, they were reviewing a ride, presumably pre-doped vs doped-- it was a sound bite, nothing else. The only indicative statement was a "20% increase in power," which is still impressive.

The Russian lab director was a fascinating character. I kinda think he was just trying to grab some cash from Brian early on-- he knew this amateur event either wouldn't test, or he wouldn't last until it mattered. Turned out to be his ticket out of Russia. Still can't quite figure him out. Had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus / doping doc review [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
logella wrote:
Quote:
oscar worthy

Ha, you've got really low standards!

Agree.
I made it through about a third of the movie, then it became too much Blair Witch Hunt type of filming, pretending to run from KGB, etc. Dumb.

There are quite a few examples of people who have fallen out of Putin's favour mysteriously dying.

Here is an incomplete list. http://uk.businessinsider.com/...assassinating-2016-3

I have no doubt the KGB was tracking him, and the US authorities think that is credible enough to put him in witness protection. At the very least, he would be rotting in a Russian jail if he stayed in Russia.
Last edited by: The Guardian: Aug 19, 17 5:01
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus / doping doc review [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
people who have fallen out of Putin's favour mysteriously dying.

that he got the KGB to engineer an entire bottle-swapping scheme straight out of Q's lab, right under the officials' noses, was jaw dropping. Through that whole scene I'm thinking no way. But then came the forensics on the lids.

I liked the 1984 bit too. It did go a way to explain Rodchenkov's two-track morality.
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus / doping doc review [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"As Putin seethes over Olympic ban, doping whistleblower fears for his life"

https://www.yahoo.com/...-life-100019751.html
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus / doping doc review [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
The guy said in an interview a couple of things of interest that didn't show in the movie:

- He had a mechanical, a crash, and a flat in the race; otherwise he would have finished higher
- After the prior year, he said he could barely walk for weeks afterwards. After doping, he said he could have
continued racing for many days. The recovery was stunning.

Are you speaking of the Rich Roll interview? Yes, I heard that too

I haven't seen Icarus yet, but once D'Kid lets me "borrow" her Netflix queue, I will

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Icarus / doping doc review [mum2girls] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mum2girls wrote:
"As Putin seethes over Olympic ban, doping whistleblower fears for his life"
https://www.yahoo.com/...-life-100019751.html
I dunno. Putin's alternative theory is entirely plausible...#blameBudweiser

“What are they doing with him there (in the US)?” Putin added.
“Are they giving him some kind of substances so that he says what’s required?”

Quote Reply
Re: Icarus / doping doc review [fat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/...s/945795442910072832

Quote:
@lancearmstrong
After being asked roughly a 1000 times if I’ve seen @IcarusNetflix yet, I finally sat down to check it out. Holy hell. It’s hard to imagine that I could be blown away by much in that realm but I was. Incredible work @bryanfogel!

There ya go

Quote Reply
Re: Icarus / doping doc review [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I haven't seen Icarus yet, but once D'Kid lets me "borrow" her Netflix queue, I will

Finally got to see it yesterday, yes, it was all i expected

Towards the end though, in 2016, it would have been interesting to see what was going on with the doping investigation aligned with the election: WikiLeaks, Russian hackers, etc.

There have been thoughts that whatever Putin did to influence the election, was "revenge" for his athletes getting kicked out of Rio

"Oh, you think we're only fucking with the Olympics? Let me show you what we can do!!! Boys! HIT 'EM!!!"

Quote Reply

Prev Next