Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I wrote about Lance on my blog
Quote | Reply

Hi all!

This is a 3 month research I did for my blog trying to understand why people hate Lance Armstrong more than any other "doped" athlete in the world.

https://easyendurance.wordpress.com/2017/04/26/lance-armstrong-un-villano-creado-por-tu-imaginacion/

Even though it's in spanish I believe there is a very easy to use "translate" button on wordpress.

Comments, impressions, opinions, are welcome!

Thanks,
Emmanuel
San Juan, PR.

http://www.easyendurance.wordpress.com
Last edited by: Tri@PUR: Apr 28, 17 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote about Lance on my blog [Tri@PUR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without reading, I do know enough Spanish to understand "a villain created by your imagination."

I don't care that he doped, per se.
It's disappointing, and his vehement denials and personal attacks on others were pretty vicious and lame.

But it's the lying to the cancer communty and hiding behind the cancer shield and a fake charity that makes him a villain, IMO.
Lower than low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like you're not so much trying to understand, as advancing your case as to why he should not be "hated." Nothing wrong with that.

There are a few statements you make that I disagree with. You make it seems like the outcome of his upcoming lawsuit will somehow significantly change anything other than financial well-being. I'd argue it's really not going to change anything other then distribution of money.

Also you said he's physiologically superior to the rest of mankind. Certainly he's extremely gifted, physiologically. But we don't really know, ultimately, how he stacks up to other extremely physiologically gifted cyclists of his generation if they'd all abided by WADA and UCI regulations. We just don't know.

He treated other people very poorly at times in ways that are very well documented. You did not mention any of those, except Walsh, whom you characterized as "persecuting" Armstrong rather than performing investigative journalism.

But the biggest reason is that he was just the most successful. The celebrities who achieve the highest pedestal have the biggest fall. No one really cares about the guy who steals a six-pack of beer. Bernie Madoff is hated because he stole billions. That's the nature of wealth and celebrity. When you enjoy the symbolic status of being the best athlete of a generation, and it's discovered that most of that generation competed fraudulently, then you enjoy the symbolic status of being the greatest fraud of the bunch. That's life. There is a tremendous burden that comes with celebrity. Armstrong embraced all the benefits of celebrity. He doesn't get immunity from the burdens.
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote about Lance on my blog [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be as angry as you want about LA, but don't throw stones at Livestrong.
There's nothing fake about it because the organization does great work, filling needs as a support, advocacy, and cancer information clearinghouse.
https://www.livestrong.org/who-we-are/our-mission

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a number of people have looked at livestrong, me included, and i can't find a problem there. a lot of really anti-lance people who have looked at livestrong remain anti-lance but pro-livestrong.

i think possibly the most qualified person to ask about this is charles pelkey, former cycling journalist, one of the guys i respect the most, cancer survivor, chemo veteran, veteran of 3 cancer surgeries, high-profile twitter war with lance, doesn't like lance at all, was very suspicious of the charity. i have no idea what charles would say today.

but i don't ever remember charles once saying that livestrong is a fake or bad charity. maybe there's an update to this i don't know about.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote about Lance on my blog [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i saw lance at the Austin airport a few weeks back - the babe at his side definitely didnt hate him. Bravo sir, bravo.
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote about Lance on my blog [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During his comeback year (to raise 'awareness', remember?), LA took a $1M appearance fee to race the Tour down Under, a season-opening race in Australia.
The fee was supposed to be a donation to his charity. 'Cept Lance pocketed the money himself. So much for awareness.

Also reported that Livestrong's "travel expenses" were ahem, awfully high. Lots of private jet travel for the King and his court. Do altitude training camps in Tenerife help to raise awareness?

Never mind the phony crusading and shutting down critics, with lots of cancer-cape waving.
("Not about the Bike", and the Tour of California press conference shaming of Paul Kimmage come to mind.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance who?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I respect yur opinion Sir!

thanks!

http://www.easyendurance.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri@PUR wrote:
Comments, impressions, opinions, are welcome!

I think you should have mentioned all the nasty things he did, to give a clearer picture.

Lance has always had a "Boss" mentality. Ego about as big as they get. Someone who will do whatever it takes to acheive his goals. In pro cycling that meant doping to the hilt, cheating to get away with it, and persistently lying. All the top guys were doping, but Lance was particularly arrogant and shameless about it. And of course very successful, which also made him a target. And his response was to defame and disparage all who challenged him. That's very understandable also, given his personality.

After the doping was proven, my opinion of him didn't change at all. He is what he is. I don't hate him. He isn't my hero. I do however admire his considerable athletic achievements. 7 TdF in a row is crazy.

I'm sure Lance would be in politics now, if not for the doping conviction. He has the skills. He may eventually land there anyway. Lance for President! .... err....
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote about Lance on my blog [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote about Lance on my blog [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd argue that he knowingly played fast and loose with the distinction between livestrong.com and livestrong.org, though - and that blurriness benefits him quite directly.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good interview a friend of mine told me about of Armstrong and Howard Stern. Definitely worth a listen- discussing many topics not typically asked by the Cycling press.

https://www.howardstern.com/...rstand-and-im-sorry/

The full interview starts at 1:53:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pj9h6BR3kg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So let me get this straight: you are trying to understand why Lance is the most hated doper? This is amazing.
Hasn't this been rehashed a million times?
If he was just "a doper" I doubt he would be the most hated.
He cheated, lied, bullied and ruined people's lives.
He made millions based on a lie. He didn't just tell a lie. He lived a lie. His entire life is really based on a lie.
Frankly I find nothing redeemable about him. Even his cancer institute although it did good. I believe he did this more because of his egotistical nature then out of pure desire to help others
Last edited by: Pat0: Apr 28, 17 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote about Lance on my blog [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
He...ruined people's lives.

Oh, brother. Not this bullshit again. Fake news is alive and well in the age of Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote about Lance on my blog [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Pat0 wrote:

Oh, brother. Not this bullshit again. Fake news is alive and well in the age of Trump.

"Run, don't walk" -- SMS sent by LA, to threaten a former teammate's wife
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Pat0 wrote:

Good one Arch Stanton! Blame it on Trump!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Pat0 wrote:

Listen to the Howard Stern interview. Armstrong does indeed say that he understands (the main reason) why people won't forgive him is directly due to how he treated others. The interview is from March 2017.
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote about Lance on my blog [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
Pat0 wrote:

Listen to the Howard Stern interview. Armstrong does indeed say that he understands (the main reason) why people won't forgive him is directly due to how he treated others. The interview is from March 2017.

that hardly translates to he ruined other peoples lives. Frankie was so ruined that he was still doing TDF tv coverage along with Tour of Utah
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote about Lance on my blog [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm only quoting what Armstrong stated in the recent interview re: his treatment of others = number 1 reason in Armstrong's mind why people may not like him today. He feels the doping aspect was so prevalent that he feels people (even his critics) don't care that he also doped.
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote about Lance on my blog [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
I'm only quoting what Armstrong stated in the recent interview re: his treatment of others = number 1 reason in Armstrong's mind why people may not like him today. He feels the doping aspect was so prevalent that he feels people (even his critics) don't care that he also doped.

however, that does not mean that he ruined people's lives which is what you originally posted. nobody is disputing how he treated people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
wetswimmer99 wrote:

however, that does not mean that he ruined people's lives which is what you originally posted. nobody is disputing how he treated people

Please reread who wrote what. I simply mentioned a recent interview and directly quoted Armstrong in that recent interview. I did not state anything more than that. Please reply back to correct poster [PatO] that stated 'ruined,' in his commentary as I made no such comment about Armstrong, so feel free to edit your reply for accuracy. I personally have no idea what Armstrong did or did not do, as I did not follow his saga too closely, hence why I only mentioned a first source of current statements by Armstrong.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 29, 17 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
wetswimmer99 wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
Pat0 wrote:

that hardly translates to he ruined other peoples lives. Frankie was so ruined that he was still doing TDF tv coverage along with Tour of Utah

Betsy won't take responsibility for making Frankie a pariah. She is the one who pushed her husband into betraying the confidence of a friend (JV) in order to continue her feud with LA. No one who matters in the small insular world of pro cycling trusts the guy now. Without that he could have been on the Doug Ellis gravy train at Slipstream. In his last Tours Lance threw Frankie a bone, trying to patch things up, by insisting that he would be the one to do post race interviews. Betsy still wanted to continue her feud.

At least half the stuff that Betsy blames LA for are her own fault or, in many cases, a delusion of her own paranoia. It has gotten to the point where she blames Lance for everything. Not that Lance cannot be an asshole and take things too far, but it usually comes down to being someone who won't shy away from a fight and even feeds off the combat. If you pick a fight with Lance, like many have, then it's on and don't be surprised to come out worse for wear. Unfortunately Lance is in a position where he cannot call out these shits for their self serving and dishonest sob stories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
If you pick a fight with Lance, like many have

Picking a fight = "telling the truth." Used as an adjective, "honest".

So when Frankie came out in '06 to the NYT (admitting doping, but not implicating Lance), and Lance had his lawyers fire off an overnite letter threatening to sue Frankie for all backwages earned while riding for the team -- that was just the CancerWarrior "keeping it real?"

And in '06, when Frankie was working as DS of the top domestic team (Toyota United), and then mysteriously fired right after Lance put a call into the team owner?? Another case of 'keeping it real'?

Arch Stanton wrote:
.. threw Frankie a bone, trying to patch things up, by insisting that (Frankie) be the one to do post-race interviews.

Umm, that was right after Lance referred to Frankie's wife as a "fat crazy bitch" in an interview.
He was not trying to 'patch things up'. He was twisting the knife.
Quote Reply

Prev Next