Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I wrote a thing about swimming
Quote | Reply
Feel free to ask for clarification. Or disagree. Or tell me I'm a stable genius and, like, very smart.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote a thing about swimming [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Feel free to ask for clarification. Or disagree. Or tell me I'm a stable genius and, like, very smart.

I think you are like, super genius.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still mess around, and splash, and bounce and talk mid-set on my masters team... its totally the best part of swimming.
Its supposed to be fun... its not a job... Thank you for vocalizing it !! Well done!
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote a thing about swimming [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waterpolo, sharks and minnows, bodysurfing, and just general farting around taught me a lot about feel fur the water.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: I wrote a thing about swimming [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And don't forget about forward rolls and back flips in the water to teach the preliminaries of a flip turn. Barrel rolls help understand the general idea of torso rotation; just general twisting and turning in addition to moving forward! That way, when Coach says you have a wicked case of cross-over arms, you'll have a leg up on fixing it, or even avoiding it in the first place.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote a thing about swimming [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did all that under the general parameter of "farting around", which included a lot of stuff that doesn't have a name.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what some of us look like:

can't get within 7 inches of the floor when sitting down and trying to put those toes on the floor. Kick, kick and kick some more? I don't think so. Taking just short of two minutes to travel "25" yards with a kick board is a waste of time, effort and brings on frustration. Johnny O had the best advise for those of us with this defect, "tuck them in behind the body the best you can". Now we might be helped if those with the PhD degrees in health care would actually share some expertise to help us gain three inches of ankle plantar flexion. Been thru the stretching program, failed end result.
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote a thing about swimming [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok- but tell me how are you going to hide them behind you? If you're swimming with any sort of tempo/cadence they'll move. If you don't practice and practice the correct movement pattern, how can you be sure they're not hurting you as much as having no effect?

I swim with and have coached some folks who have similar boat anchors, but you know what? We still kick. Reinforce the movement pattern, and make it as good as you can. Use short stiff fins if you can't abide by going slow, but remember that the fins are a tool to strengthen and improve, not a crutch so you don't have to.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done! Thanks for your contribution.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Here's a trend: Really good swimmers share secrets of good swimming with not-very-good swimmers; many in that latter group explain why that advice should be ignored. Here's more advice from a really good swimmer. Do with it what you will.”

Well, it didn’t take long to prove this point!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff, but holding my breath for 3 seconds before exhaling aint happening any more these days. I suppose if all I was doing was some super easy swim that was like a walk, but I need air, and I need it fast for what I do in the water. In fact I'm a big proponent of the double breath pattern, 1/3 more breaths per lap in the heat of battle.

And I'm not sure I buy into the floating thing by holding, it is for such a small amount of time and it is all in the front half of your body, maybe lowering your hips and legs. Anyway keep up the contributions to the fishes and wanna be guppies, we need as much stuff as we can get, especially those of us that swim alone and vicariously in the ST masters lane...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:

To your point on Sat and Sun after lane swim, there is a kids public swim. I have been staying around and just messing around doing under water kicking, playing around with fins on, doing things like transitioning between strokes trying to connect the strokes...mainly splashing around in a non structured way. When there is no clock, no lanes, no structure, you learn a lot....like soccer players just playing with a ball solo, till the ball and field position and location of the goal and sidelines are extensions of the body....same stuff we did on skis.
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote a thing about swimming [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 seconds is a long time! I breathe mostly every 2 strokes with some 3's thrown in to switch, but above about 85-90% effort it's all 2 to the right all the way.

The holding and blowing helps me, and others I have seen, be sure to finish the breath before turning their heads, so you're only turned for the inhale.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a swimmer since childhood through college and was decently competitive. However, as with many of the articles on here that get into details of body position when swimming, I don't get it. Why the emphasis on pelvic tilt? Why focus on knees and ankles? Why the intense description of hamstring and hip flexor action? I venture to guess that most adult onset swimmers are so uncomfortable in the pool that trying to perform the actions that are so specifically described is near impossible. There seems to be way too much conscious thought involved with body position. As you stated in the beginning of the article... why not just play around and get comfortable? Won't the stroke form mostly arrive as comfortability improves? Forcing a pelvic tilt and concentrating on hamstring action just seems to be too much work for someone who is challenged with rhythmic breathing. How about more of the KISS principle with some skilled guidance?
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote a thing about swimming [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewL wrote:
I'm a swimmer since childhood through college and was decently competitive. However, as with many of the articles on here that get into details of body position when swimming, I don't get it. Why the emphasis on pelvic tilt? Why focus on knees and ankles? Why the intense description of hamstring and hip flexor action? I venture to guess that most adult onset swimmers are so uncomfortable in the pool that trying to perform the actions that are so specifically described is near impossible. There seems to be way too much conscious thought involved with body position. As you stated in the beginning of the article... why not just play around and get comfortable? Won't the stroke form mostly arrive as comfortability improves? Forcing a pelvic tilt and concentrating on hamstring action just seems to be too much work for someone who is challenged with rhythmic breathing. How about more of the KISS principle with some skilled guidance?

Yup. I pretty much concentrate on a high elbow and that’s it. Everything else is more than I comprehend or can even begin to think of to try to fix while in the water. “Move arms, keep elbow high, fuck...higher, fuck...stop windmilling...Shit...gotta breath...annnnnd time: 2:06/10m”....I suck

ETA: I do really appreciate all the tid bits and advice though...just lots of it is lost on me.
Last edited by: Culley22: Jan 7, 18 17:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:

Ya, i think you're genius!!! My only comment is you should specify that your times are long course meters. Further, i think you should mention you finished 4th in 200 IM at the '08 Trials, behind Phelps, Lochte, and Eric Shanteau, the top American 200 breaststroker.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote a thing about swimming [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do get where you guys are coming from. Maybe I should have been more clear. Body position should be a "set it and forget it" type thing. Learn where you are in the water, use it as a touchstone, but focus specific energy on propulsion.

You can only eat the elepant one spoonful at a time, but it helps to hold the spoon the right way.

Quote Reply
Re: I wrote a thing about swimming [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't right my own blurb- take it up with management. ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if you were only 2:00 2im for scm, then I'm not sure anyone should listen.
;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a video on what a kick is supposed to look like would help. I can barely imagine what's being described, let alone replicate it.
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote a thing about swimming [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_P6497044/#p6497044

Nothing isolating kicking there, but some of the side tracking shots should give some idea. I'll try and comb YouTube for some more if you want.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
I didn't right my own blurb- take it up with management. ;)

OK, i posted a comment at the bottom of your article which puts your times in a bit more context.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Ok- but tell me how are you going to hide them behind you? If you're swimming with any sort of tempo/cadence they'll move. If you don't practice and practice the correct movement pattern, how can you be sure they're not hurting you as much as having no effect?

I swim with and have coached some folks who have similar boat anchors, but you know what? We still kick. Reinforce the movement pattern, and make it as good as you can. Use short stiff fins if you can't abide by going slow, but remember that the fins are a tool to strengthen and improve, not a crutch so you don't have to.

-but tell me how are you going to hide them behind you?---make them feel as if the pull buoy is still there. or better yet, wear lava type pants so we don't swim uphill..
-If you're swimming with any sort of tempo/cadence they'll move. ---they move a little with the body rotation-no attempt at kicking-I guess you call it 2 beat
-If you don't practice and practice the correct movement pattern---which is? we don't get feedback at all due to the inability to move without fins.
-how can you be sure they're not hurting you as much as having no effect? -the clock on the wall shows it is much faster using the pull buoy, swimming without an attempt to kick than trying to kick 6 beats or what ever the others use.

If you coached folks with boat anchors then post some videos/photos that some of us can relate to. Better yet, get some expert swimmers, tie up their ankles in ankle foot orthosis-can be found at Walmart/Walgreens that prevent plantar flexion and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: I wrote a thing about swimming [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley 22 wrote: "Yup. I pretty much concentrate on a high elbow and that’s it. Everything else is more than I comprehend or can even begin to think of to try to fix while in the water. “Move arms, keep elbow high, fuck...higher, fuck...stop windmilling...Shit...gotta breath...annnnnd time: 2:06/10m”....I suck

ETA: I do really appreciate all the tid bits and advice though...just lots of it is lost on me. "

I'm with ya Culley: I've been doing masters since 1998. Six swim coaches over those years. I still go, mainly as a social event (think bowling/curling crowd but with more drinking).

I do my 100s on a 2:15 leave time. 90% of stroke improvement advice is lost on me. Thank goodness for fins and a good wetsuit, else I never would have got through those 9 IMs.

Caron said to me in 2014, "swim more" that sorta helped.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its awesome to have such a great resource on here. I dont think the AOS swimmers will listen though. Swimming is just something they are forced to do before they can ride their bikes.

You should see the weird looks i get when i do an IM set.
Quote Reply

Prev Next