Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ...
Quote | Reply
As the title states, I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot. It has a class 3 hitch, so I think I am good with the overall weight. All are mountain bikes, with 3 29'rs and 1 27.5. In about a year, one of the 29'rs will be off to college, followed a few years later by the other 29'r, leaving just my wife and on the road trips. It will be used almost exclusively around town and on highway drives out west. Since two of the bikes will be leaving, it would be nice to have a modular system that would allow for 2, 3, or 4 bikes at a time.

I've read (mostly) positive reviews on the 1UP USA rack, but I am invested in Yakima today. The only negative I've heard on the 1UP is that the rack does not lock at the hitch mount and that it may become loose over a long journey.

In terms of other options, I like the Recon Racks but am not sure I can get my car in the garage with the rack on. I also like the Yakima Holdup plus the extension simply because it will integrate with all the keys and locks on my current rack (roof bars and ski racks).

We briefly used a Yakima Swingdaddy but it would not work with our 4 bikes due to the various frame geometries.

Any and all input is welcome. I may consider a two bike hitch and two on the roof, but even at 6'2", it is a PITA to put bikes on top of my car.

Thanks in advance, drn92
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The only negative I've heard on the 1UP is that the rack does not lock at the hitch mount and that it may become loose over a long journey.

I've been having mine on my 4Runner for a few years. Everyday. I rarely take it off. And I have never had it come loose. Any time I've ever taken it off it has still been as tight as I put it on originally.

Besides the rack being made of all metal (no rubber/plastic crap to break or fade, the positive I find about the 1UP is that you can get a two-bike rack and single add-ons. So you can VERY easily go from 2 to 3 to 4 with only two bolts to tighten.

The rack and add-ons also store very conveniently. I have two add-ons and rarely use them but they're stored in their folded position taking up hardly any space in my outdoor storage.

Before I bought the 1UP, I tried the Kuat and didn't like it at all. Couldn't be happier with where I ended up. I always preach about the 1UP, it's that good. Anyway, good luck with your search.
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
I've read (mostly) positive reviews on the 1UP USA rack, but I am invested in Yakima today. The only negative I've heard on the 1UP is that the rack does not lock at the hitch mount and that it may become loose over a long journey.

The new 1up racks do lock at the hitch mount. I've had mine on for several fairly long round trips and it has never come loose.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuat NV

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to get a 1UP based off the amazing feedback from one of my friends. His only negative comment was the price.

Ability to go from two to four seemed like a great idea to me. I've had bikes on the roof, and the wind, drag, and dirt are something I'd like to avoid if possible. Hitch mount from now on if possible.
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am curious what you didn't like about the Kuat. I have an NV 2.0 and love it. Rock solid for long trips at pretty high speeds and never a concern. I only have the 2 bike model, and it is heavy to take on or remove and I can only imagine the 4 bike one would be more cumbersome but I see no problems w/ it as a rack.
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also curious what you didn't like about the Kuat NV. I've had the NV plus add-on for around 4 years and have zero complaints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Kuat NV 2.0 on my Pilot. No complaints. It is heavy, but I never take it off. I do like the 1up but I got my rack at Performance. So I got a good discount getting Performance points in buying it with them. I like that it has built in cable locks which the 1up does not. The 1up is probably lighter and easier to take the additional trays off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuat NV 2.0. The changes they made from the original are outstanding. With the four bike model, you can remove the add on and drop down to the 2 bike model once you become a 2 bike only family.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Did not know that. I'll take another look at the rack. I do like several things about the 1UP, namely the weight, the ease of use, and the ability to quickly go from 2 to 4 bikes when needed.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kuat is the other rack I've heard a lot about. Interesting as Thule and Yakima are the old guard of car rack systems and seem to not get a lot of endorsement these days.

I am not sure I plan to leave the rack on all the time as we only plan to use it on longer trips ... maybe 4-6 each year. We use the back of our car a lot and a heavy rack may defeat that purpose.

Will take another look at the Kuat.

Thanks, drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:

Any and all input is welcome. I may consider a two bike hitch and two on the roof, but even at 6'2", it is a PITA to put bikes on top of my car.

Thanks in advance, drn92

A fold-up step stool does wonders for this. I sometimes use a Yakima front loader on a rare occasion and it helps out immensely. Otherwise what others have suggested is good.

I do have a hitch rack too but also rarely use that due life getting in way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
Kuat is the other rack I've heard a lot about. Interesting as Thule and Yakima are the old guard of car rack systems and seem to not get a lot of endorsement these days.

I am not sure I plan to leave the rack on all the time as we only plan to use it on longer trips ... maybe 4-6 each year. We use the back of our car a lot and a heavy rack may defeat that purpose.

Will take another look at the Kuat.

Thanks, drn92

Thule and Yakima are the best ROOF racks you can buy. Kuat and 1Up have the HITCH racks covered equally well. I've had 2 NV's, but I still like the 1Up system better. I think it's a bit more intelligently designed (although the redesigned NV is a big improvement over the original) the only downside is the price. But both are really expensive, so it's sort of a wash.
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
I am curious what you didn't like about the Kuat. I have an NV 2.0 and love it. Rock solid for long trips at pretty high speeds and never a concern. I only have the 2 bike model, and it is heavy to take on or remove and I can only imagine the 4 bike one would be more cumbersome but I see no problems w/ it as a rack.

I had the original Kuat NV for a week. Several of the things I didn't like (some of which might have been updated in the new version according to japarker24's comments above):

1. The setup was a pain in the ass (albeit a one-time pain, but the point remains)
2. Lots of plastic and rubber.
3. The part that holds the front wheel would jam against my front brake.
4. The version I had could be expanded to four but it would have been a real pain to go back to two. There was (is?) no option to go to three.
5. The Kuat and the add-ons are not easy or convenient to store. The 1UP stores really neatly folded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the original, but I'll give you one person's opinion about the updated one.

1. The setup was a pain in the ass (albeit a one-time pain, but the point remains) - They make it pretty easy for you....four bolts and you are done, if I remember correctly. There is a little awkward holding and it is easier if you have a second set of hands, but I was able to do it w/ no swearing. (I'm pretty mechanically inclined for reference)
2. Lots of plastic and rubber. - There is rubber where it touches my bike, I see this as a plus. The little plastic there is are high quality and in general it fits in w/ my Porsche Cayenne....so by no means does it look cheap. The paint on the metal is a huge upgrade from the 1st version and is a high quality 'automotive' grade paint job. This is one area where I honestly believe the 1Up looks cheap, but I stick it firmly stick it in personal preference category.
3. The part that holds the front wheel would jam against my front brake. - The release is much improved over version 1. I have had no problems w/ the current generation.
4. The version I had could be expanded to four but it would have been a real pain to go back to two. There was (is?) no option to go to three. - There is no option to go to 3, you are correct. My understanding to switch back and forth is you use un-bolt the end cap, bolt on the extension, go on your way. I haven't done it, but I would probably line up a second pair of hands to hold it while I did it.
5. The Kuat and the add-ons are not easy or convenient to store. The 1UP stores really neatly folded. - I store mine against a wall when not in use....it takes up space, but not a silly amount of space. This will obviously vary by person. Most of the time it is on my car during the race season.
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
2. Lots of plastic and rubber. - There is rubber where it touches my bike, n.

I forgot to mention another point in favor of the 1UP: No part of the rack touches your bike or brakes. Just your tires. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THIS! I run my pilot with the Kuat NV, 4 carbon bikes, no issues. That thing is built like a tank.

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have Thule T2 Pro and it is pretty slick. I wanted the KUAT NV 2.0 but was talked out of it by the guys at my LBS who all have the KUAT, they liked the thule more.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fold up stool may make sense. Two on top, two on the back. More to think about.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. First Thule/Yakima recco.

A bit surprised that no one uses the vertical racks like NSR or Recon and at the feedback for Kuat.

Many options. I have a couple weeks before I need it, so looks like I need to research a bit more.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1UPUSA for me and I love it. Been all over the place at 70-80mph for 8-10 hour trips and had zero issues with it coming loose or the bike shifting around at all. Another benefit I haven't seen mentioned yet is the 1UP makes the 4th bike higher than the first bike. Depending on the height of your car a straight back rack with 4 bikes can scrape on a big enough dip.

I have used Yakima Hold Up, Thule T2, and the 1UP. The 1UP is definitely the best rack of the three. The other two work fine, but the 1Up is better. Only downside to the 1UP is the price, but with the way it is built, you are not going to have to spend any money on it in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo. 1UPUSA for sure. Pricey, yes, but modular and easy to stow in my small garage.

aarondb4 wrote:

1UPUSA for me and I love it. Been all over the place at 70-80mph for 8-10 hour trips and had zero issues with it coming loose or the bike shifting around at all. Another benefit I haven't seen mentioned yet is the 1UP makes the 4th bike higher than the first bike. Depending on the height of your car a straight back rack with 4 bikes can scrape on a big enough dip.

I have used Yakima Hold Up, Thule T2, and the 1UP. The 1UP is definitely the best rack of the three. The other two work fine, but the 1Up is better. Only downside to the 1UP is the price, but with the way it is built, you are not going to have to spend any money on it in the future.

Why don't we take a 5 minute brake...?
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Kuat NV 2.0. The changes they made from the original are outstanding. With the four bike model, you can remove the add on and drop down to the 2 bike model once you become a 2 bike only family.
This. We've made numerous round-trips from Dallas to Colorado with 4 29ers on a Kuat NV, doing it again next month.
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to carry 4 bikes on the back of my Pilot ... [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Thule and Yakima are the best ROOF racks you can buy.

I like the Rockymounts Brass Knuckles. Great rack.

Seriously though... for the klousy gas mileage, bugs, etc... it pays to just get a hitch rack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bite the cost bullet. 1up does exactly what you want, flawlessly. There's a reason you never see them on the resale market... no reason to sell for an upgrade. We've been using both of ours since 2010, without issue and carry up to 4 bikes.
Quote Reply