Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I took 16 showers last week
Quote | Reply
For some reason, i just realized how many times a week I shower....after workouts, after swimming, before work.....16 times last week!!

That blew me away. I'm not one of those "compulsive cleaners" or a germaphobe either.

My overriding thought is ...What a waste of resources!

How can i cut back without smelling like the inside of my Hoka's?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: I took 16 showers last week [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
For some reason, i just realized how many times a week I shower....after workouts, after swimming, before work.....16 times last week!!

That blew me away. I'm not one of those "compulsive cleaners" or a germaphobe either.

My overriding thought is ...What a waste of resources!

Yep I have the same problem. Up here in the winter we already get dry skin problems, it gets really bad when you swim in a pool and shower twice a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took 3. My water bill is quite reasonable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
move into a cardboard box under a bridge

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the pool counted as a shower....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a guess, but triathletes in general are water hogs! :)

And that's not even factoring in the water for the swimming pools.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:

Not all showers are created equal. Take 16 showers Navy-style and you'll use the water equivalent of 2 10minute showers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just take whore baths - lots of deodorant and old spice spray.
Quote Reply
Re: I took 16 showers last week [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steelrain66 wrote:

yes it does
Quote Reply
Re: I took 16 showers last week [JorgeRamos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JorgeRamos wrote:
steelrain66 wrote:

yes it does

Not at my pool. If I don't shower and wash off the chlorine, two hours later, my skin looks and feels like this...

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Common misconception that sweat smells. Sweat is actually odorless. The bacteria on your skin creates the smell of BO when it breaks down the sweat secretions released.

If you go into a workout "clean", you could just try and towel down the sweat as soon as you are done to eliminate the food for the bacteria? That way you won't smell.

I know it's hard for people to grasp doing this because the sweat makes you feel gross, but it's a thought...
Quote Reply
Re: I took 16 showers last week [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:
just take whore baths - lots of deodorant and old spice spray.

Baby wipes also work wonders!
Quote Reply
Re: I took 16 showers last week [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
champy wrote:
Common misconception that sweat smells. Sweat is actually odorless. The bacteria on your skin creates the smell of BO when it breaks down the sweat secretions released.

If you go into a workout "clean", you could just try and towel down the sweat as soon as you are done to eliminate the food for the bacteria? That way you won't smell.

I know it's hard for people to grasp doing this because the sweat makes you feel gross, but it's a thought...

but seriously
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
For some reason, i just realized how many times a week I shower....16 times last week!!

Nice work. I think I hit 10 last week. My PR is 12.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do that every week . . . plus sometimes a couple of Shower Pills!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: I took 16 showers last week [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steelrain66 wrote:
I was also under this impression
Quote Reply
Re: I took 16 showers last week [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you stop using shampoo and soap/shower gel you may notice that your sweat smells less in addition of requiring a much shorter shower and hence much less water.

This works for me and I discovered it by accident. After my shower gel spilled inside my gear bag for the second time I decided to stop using it while I searched for a solution to prevent spillage. I tried the hand washing gel in the gym, but that was terrible for the skin so I stopped using it altogether 'till I devised something. I noticed that during the first few days my hair and skin was greasier. Then it stabilized and haven used it for around 10 years. My hair and skin looks healthier and I stopped having dandruff and itching in the head.

It makes sense, since what we are doing with all that soap is removing the skin's natural protection.

Coincidentally my sweat stopped smelling. Previously my wife would complain, sometimes even just after I showered. Don't tell her, but know, during the winter I may sneak in bed after the sweat of a heavy workout has dried and she won't even notice.
Quote Reply
Re: I took 16 showers last week [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wear merino wool. It doesn't retain odour, so even if you don't shower you smell fresh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats about my average.

My only suggestions (they are not good ones): Stop working out or quit work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are in California like me you would get a notice from the water police..........drought shaming.......
Quote Reply
Re: I took 16 showers last week [peacedout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peacedout wrote:
Wear merino wool. It doesn't retain odour, so even if you don't shower you smell fresh!

As you melt away into a pile of goo..

Right now here in Cedar Rapids..

11:00 AM - 83°

Clear, Feels Like 89°
Wind: SW 7mph Humidity: 72%

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike to work (upper 70s), run at lunch 3 or 4 times per week (90+ degrees), bike home (~100 degrees). I think 15 is a pretty typical week for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm...I wore an extremely lightweight Icebreaker merino tshirt in Guilin, China when it was about 40C and you could practically swim through the air it was so humid. I mean, you're going to be hot, regardless, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read that it's important not to use soap/shampoo too often as it strips away essential oils, which makes sense since the epidermis is the largest organ. Also it's important to take quick showers (no matter how good a long hot shower feels) and moisturize skin quickly after getting out of the shower - somewhat like how it's suggested to refuel within 30 minutes of workout. I've adopted these principles, especially in light of how sun exposure and chlorinated pools damage skin.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: I took 16 showers last week [JorgeRamos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JorgeRamos wrote:
steelrain66 wrote:

yes it does

As long as it's not also a toilet, you're good

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next