Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months
Quote | Reply
Because my son lost another pair and I have lost count how many pairs he has misplaced. Pretty sure we are over 8 since this time last year. He lost two of them at one practice this past winter. It might be as high as 10 pairs over the last 12 months. One broke and one started leaking, the rest ... gone. It is driving me bat shit crazy. Lose one a season, ok he's an 8 and under. Two I could see that. But this is getting ridiculous. He won't wear swedes and has been taking mine. At least they are an old model and relatively cheap now. I'm buying in bulk.

I'm sure I lost some when I was little but it was no where near this pace. I mostly remember the foam gaskets tearing away from the plastic ,then they would leak and that sucked. Truthfully I think I lost one pair because good goggles were like gold when I was an age group swimmer.

Rant over

ETA - I knew the number is higher, my daughter lost a pair in the 3 weeks she had on the swim team this summer. Her preteam practices start soon so I can only imagine this number going higher. I only ordered her one pair in this batch. That will come back to haunt me.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Oct 30, 17 12:33
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Force him to be more accountable & responsible for his gear. If he loses it, then make him pay to replace it. My son did it once and never again.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back up goggles ought to all the Swedes. He either quits losing his regular goggles so often OR will get used to using much cheaper Swedes.

Does he lose them during practice, while in the locker room, after practice or walking to the car, while in the car or at home? Do you attend each practice? Perhaps you can reduce the opportunity to lose his goggles to the time period while he is actively attending practice. Although I agree that he ought to be responsible for his equipment it might no hurt to hand him his goggles from the stands after he changes in the locker room and have him hand them back to you when practice is over.

(We had three boys swim year round for about 13 years.)

David K
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't go in the locker room at all anymore
Seems to be at practice which at a meet I could kind of understand since there's down time between events.
I don't go to practices any more. We butt heads when I go.
He does take them on and off a lot but I think they disappear when he is getting dressed. I may tell him to start wearing them around his neck until he gets home.

He's lost TV and video game rights, swam one meet without a pair and coaches have found him loaners on a few occasions. He has unsolicited offered to pay for them so he gets the concept. He is actually good about most of his stuff but goggles are his nemesis.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
Force him to be more accountable & responsible for his gear. If he loses it, then make him pay to replace it. My son did it once and never again.

Agreed. Or make him swim without a replacement pair for a night or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am SO OLD that when I was on swim team at your child's age, swim goggles hadn't been invented yet! And my eyeballs are just fine ;-)

The answer is-"so you lost your goggles again? Then I guess you will continue to swim without them until you have enough allowance saved to buy a pair yourself."

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately he doesn’t get an allowance and any cash he gets for birthdays and such goes into an investment account or bank account.

I did make him swim a meet without them which was comical because he just closed his eyes each race. Practice is a thought but I hated the burn when I played waster polo so don’t think I could do that yet. Maybe when we hit a dozen.

But you guys might be onto something. He’s not loving swimming so maybe lost goggles means extra practice. That might be a win win.

Oh and I’m so old when I swam at his age I swam up hill both directions in the pool.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Practice is a thought but I hated the burn when I played waster polo so don’t think I could do that yet.

And therein lies his incentive to change. Again, I went through YEARS of 2/day practices without goggles. When eyes burn, you learn to avoid burning eyes. Otherwise, you are just rewarding bad behavior.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he can't keep track of his goggles, then tell him from the next pair on it's nothing but dollar store no name goggles. One pair per season.

He'll learn....,

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
If he can't keep track of his goggles, then tell him from the next pair on it's nothing but dollar store no name goggles. One pair per season.

He'll learn....,

ha ha yeah this. 1 session with $5 kmart specials he'll soon learn to treasure his decent goggles.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Practice is a thought but I hated the burn when I played waster polo so don’t think I could do that yet.

And therein lies his incentive to change. Again, I went through YEARS of 2/day practices without goggles. When eyes burn, you learn to avoid burning eyes. Otherwise, you are just rewarding bad behavior.

Sally - You're hitting the nail here on "rewarding bad behavior." IIRC, the '76 Oly were the first Games where goggles were allowed. If you look at pictures and video of Spitz in '72, no goggles in sight. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Leddy wrote:

How did you manage?? I get a little bit of water in my goggles and it feels like acid is burning my eyeballs!
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Leddy wrote:

How did you manage?? I get a little bit of water in my goggles and it feels like acid is burning my eyeballs!

With more than a little bit of what I believe on this forum is called FTFU 😉

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need a better system, because the boy will forget. Perhaps: *every single time* he gets out of the water at the end of practice they're physically tied to his bag so they can't go anywhere. They stay tied to that bag until the next practice.

Then once you have a system, you can start to give him whatever you think is the appropriate reprimand.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But on the other hand.. don't make it a nightmare horrible experience of stinging eyes and being shouted at by stroppy dad otherwise he'll give it up the first chance he gets...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
He’s not loving swimming so maybe lost goggles means extra practice. That might be a win win.

So you have an 8 year old son who doesn`t love swimming. Your attending his practice results in head butting. How forcing him to swim more seems to you like a win win is beyond me.
This linked article might have been written just for you...in case you don´t score full marks in all categories yet:
https://www.thoughtco.com/...ent-sabotage-3169375
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Leddy wrote:

I get what you are saying but I'm not going to do something that causes him pain. I like Jason's idea of the dollar store goggles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain.

My kids have gotten better as they get older but it’s crazy. My son lost a pair of goggles in the middle of a swim meet this weekend. I’m not even sure how that’s possible. He didn’t even tell me until it was over - he just borrowed from a friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you can find a model that is super cheap to replace, yet still seals well. I've seen 3 packs of Speedo googles at Costco for like $12 or so.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miamiamy wrote:
I feel your pain.

My kids have gotten better as they get older but it’s crazy. My son lost a pair of goggles in the middle of a swim meet this weekend. I’m not even sure how that’s possible. He didn’t even tell me until it was over - he just borrowed from a friend.

That's impressive. We haven't crossed that bridge yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Unfortunately he doesn’t get an allowance and any cash he gets for birthdays and such goes into an investment account or bank account.

Boring, get him mowing the lawn and other chores for pocket money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
He’s not loving swimming so maybe lost goggles means extra practice.

Sounds like he doesn't want to swim and loses his goggles as a way to get you to 'make' him quit.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Leddy wrote:
He’s not loving swimming so maybe lost goggles means extra practice.

Sounds like he doesn't want to swim and loses his goggles as a way to get you to 'make' him quit.

If that was the case, knowing him, he would have given up after 2-3 pairs

Quote Reply
Re: I think I've gone through 8 pairs of goggles in 12 months [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
Leddy wrote:

I could take his candy tonight

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
Leddy wrote:

I could take his candy tonight

You make him swim when he doesn't want to and brag about being able to literally take candy from a child. Your child. Goggles aren't what I'd be concerned about if I were you.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next