Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I now feel old
Quote | Reply
I was reading the other thread regarding how men over 35 (which I am) incorrectly remember their PRs. Knowing how quickly twitchers will tear you down without proof and for my own edification, I tried googling my old college splits (too old for any HS splits to be online). Why? Because I'm well into that over 35 category and, frankly, I do not remember all of my PRs for all the distances I have ever run. I'm not that numbers guy. I remember the ones that meant something to me for one reason or another, but some of them just didn't matter enough at the time to get permanently lodged in my brain. I also spent most of college averaging about 4.5 hours of sleep a night, so that probably didn't help.

Anyway, I now feel old. The internet has forgotten me. Probably more precisely, the content on the internet in the past years has exponentially buried anything I did in college and those original race timing "companies" went bankrupt and/or didn't keep up their HTML-1.1 www sites. Not that the numbers were particularly spectacular, but at least I used to be able to find them.

Damn. Now I have no choice but to go create new ones...
Quote Reply
Re: I now feel old [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The governing body of your sport _might_ have them. I only recently discovered that swimming canada actually maintains a record of nearly all results even going back to at least the late 90s, so I can go back and actually look up my PBs.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the days when you waited for the results to appear in the newspaper, some people would say:" I was so slow, they were handing out the morning newspapers with results for the race I was still running!!!!!"

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: I now feel old [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cervelo-van wrote:
Back in the days when you waited for the results to appear in the newspaper, some people would say:" I was so slow, they were handing out the morning newspapers with results for the race I was still running!!!!!"

This reminds me of when I was a kid in middle school, my mom made me join the track team so I would have some athletic credentials. But I was that typical nerdy kid who couldn't do anything at all athletic. I was put on the track team because they specifically said they don't cut anyone from the team. Well apparently all the slow kids were put on the mile run. I couldn't even break 14:00 for a mile back then. So when it came to track meet day, I was told I was running the mile. Well all the *real* runners were hitting in the 6:00 range (they lapped me obviously). I finally came to the finish line and nobody was there. The little old ladies that were timing the mile run had packed up and left to go score the long jump. I was left out there on the track all alone trying desperately to finish a mile.
Quote Reply
Re: I now feel old [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, I feel your pain. I was that kid too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing the other day when trying to find some of my best splits from races done in high school and my early twenties. My oldest was asking about some of my times. My proof of 4 min miles and sub 30min 5 miles are long gone. So sad.

"Before you make it to the finish, You have to make it to the start."
Quote Reply
Re: I now feel old [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AHare wrote:
The governing body of your sport _might_ have them. I only recently discovered that swimming canada actually maintains a record of nearly all results even going back to at least the late 90s, so I can go back and actually look up my PBs.

Not back far enough for me. The internets have forgotten me. Does this mean I can make my PB's whatever I want? Woot!! Yeah, I did a 53.9 100 fly in '91. Long course. Yeah thats it, Long Course......

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, but how fast are you now? I was bottom half when I ran too, but I got better as I got older.
Quote Reply
Re: I now feel old [gellerche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gellerche wrote:
Just curious, but how fast are you now? I was bottom half when I ran too, but I got better as I got older.

Same here. I never had any athletic talent as a kid (hence being left on a track trying to even break 14:00/mi).

But now in my 30s:
I have an 18:17 5k PR.
Half Marathon PR at 1:31 (which is a soft PR I set in the middle of a 22 mile long run).
My Full marathon PR of 3:28 is a few years old and I know I could probably put down a <3:10 BQ time based on my long run training times.

I wish I discovered endurance sports/triathlon earlier in life, but I have no idea if I would have been any good at it then. I was fat throughout my 20s and only when I realized I needed to do something about my health did I discover this stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for making me feel old too. Because of this thread, I went back and looked for my 1'st every tri results. I have my bib and a picture with me finishing and the clock in the background, but no placement. (and who knows if there were waves). Since I don't have a trophy - My memory tells me I was 4'th o/a. Yeah, that sounds right........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
cervelo-van wrote:

This reminds me of when I was a kid in middle school, my mom made me join the track team so I would have some athletic credentials. But I was that typical nerdy kid who couldn't do anything at all athletic. I was put on the track team because they specifically said they don't cut anyone from the team. Well apparently all the slow kids were put on the mile run. I couldn't even break 14:00 for a mile back then. So when it came to track meet day, I was told I was running the mile. Well all the *real* runners were hitting in the 6:00 range (they lapped me obviously). I finally came to the finish line and nobody was there. The little old ladies that were timing the mile run had packed up and left to go score the long jump. I was left out there on the track all alone trying desperately to finish a mile.

LOL. I have similar memories from junior high track back in the late 60's. There was no such thing as spring football in those days, so the football coach told us we had to run track if we expected to play football in the fall. If you didn't qualify for an individual event they made you run the mile. At the start the official competitors lined up with a pack of about 25 other guys lined up 5 yards behind dressed in their all-white gym class gear since they didn't have enough track uniforms.

One of the pack runners was a football player who had been dogging it through all the practices to avoid doing as much work as possible. At the first home meet he made the fatal mistake of taking off and clocking a 5:10 mile, beating the first "official" finisher by about 20 seconds. The coach promoted him on the spot to be our #1 miler which meant his easy days were over for the rest of the season.

I schemed my way out of running the mile by getting together with some other like-mined guys and forming an 880 "B" relay team on our own and convincing the coach to let us run. Coach thought we were showing initiative, not realizing that we were just trying to find a way to get out of having to run the mile. Some of the other forced "milers" saw through our scam and got pissed at us, but it was mostly jealousy that we thought of it first.

Mark
Quote Reply