Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically).
Quote | Reply

I've been prone to bouts of lower back and hip pain and the reason is obvious - i have inefficiently weighted body with too much weight on the upper part. During triathlons you can immediately tell me apart from the hardcore triathletes because I'm too bro'd out in chest and shoulder area - great for looking good at beach, not very efficient for running.

I thought by losing weight and doing lots of running would even my body out, I just lost lots of fat but not a lot of my upper body "bro" muscles.

I try to do 200-300 air lunges, romainian deadlifts, one legged squats, and other things before each run....also occasional heavy lifting squat session....but it seems likes it not doing enough. Should I just keep doing that and avoid push ups and pull ups?

I tried to be very mindful about using my lower core, buttocks, hamstrings during runs too...I even sleep face down and avoid sitting laying on back as much as possible so i'm more mindful of the muscles behind and below me.
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 30, 14 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically). [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The answer is to really cut down on your calories intake and do lots of cardio until drop tons of weight. And then you can bulk up selectively. See these two good buddies.

http://www.falcobike.com
https://www.facebook.com/falcobikeglobal
http://www.twitter.com/Falco_Bike
falcobike@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically). [threefire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice
Quote Reply
Re: I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically). [threefire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically). [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

I haven't even been below 190 pounds in the last 10 years (186 now). I should start off by ordering a year's supply of black coffee and hydroxycut if I want to undertake something similar lol.

Anybody know the number to his personal nutritionist/trainer? :)
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 30, 14 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically). [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once read an article about how he got down to "racing weight" for The Machinist, eating just an apple or two per day. He looked awful in that movie.

To the OP: if you're being serious (your post sounds a little trolling-ish) and you have a pancake-ass, I'd recommend looking for booty-workout videos on you tube. Not only are the fun to watch, but there are a lot of weird exercises that some women do obsessively to get a booty, which is en vogue these days.
Quote Reply
Re: I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically). [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG Tri Newbie wrote:
I once read an article about how he got down to "racing weight" for The Machinist, eating just an apple or two per day. He looked awful in that movie.

To the OP: if you're being serious (your post sounds a little trolling-ish) and you have a pancake-ass, I'd recommend looking for booty-workout videos on you tube. Not only are the fun to watch, but there are a lot of weird exercises that some women do obsessively to get a booty, which is en vogue these days.

Not trolling and it's humbling to admit this..... I need increased emphasis on lower parts of the body including lower to mid back, glutes, and ham string. Not pancake ass, but relatively speaking not nearly as strong as my upper body.

ANyone know good lower body core exercises all the cool runners are doing a lot of? I ve been doing lots of iron crosses, flying jesuses, pillow humpers, mule kicks, one legged squats, planks, side plank jane fondas, iron mikes, flutter kicks,

Or fuck it maybe i'll just buy brazillian butt lift and make sure the curtains are closed every night for 20 minutes :). I would do it too, do a lot of the more hardcore runners do that?
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 30, 14 1:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wonna be a better runner? Stop going to the gym and doing all those muscle exercises. Just go running!!! That's what runners do!! Any specific exercise next to running could be part of a core stabilization programm to become a better runner and avoid injuries in the process.

Triahtletes in shape and even more runners are looking mean and hungry. Because triathletes also swim and have low fat percentages, they also look fit on the beach. Probably not bro-imposing beach fit as you are right now though.
Quote Reply
Re: I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically). [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG Tri Newbie wrote:
your posts sounds a little trolling-ish

You forgot the S.

200-300 lunges is more comical than the cup of chia sees in a smoothie he claims to leave sitting around all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
threefire wrote:

Look he gained all of his non-steroidal muscles back when he got clean!

But to the OP, stop lifting heavy objects

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AG Tri Newbie wrote:

Get a turbo trainer Sufferfest and/or Trainer and use the winter to build up your cycling fitness.

A few times a week for a few months should help develop your glutes and quads and even out your body shape.

More running as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bike more, run more
Quote Reply
Re: I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically). [HiImRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I was talking about 200-300 total of some mixture of air lunges/squats/single leg rom deadlifts. Talking about unweighted. How is that comical?

EDIT: ok too much male nudity enough is enough.
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 30, 14 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically). [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
AG Tri Newbie wrote:

your posts sounds a little trolling-ish

You forgot the S.

200-300 lunges is more comical than the cup of chia sees in a smoothie he claims to leave sitting around all day.

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me, I m really low on chia seeds and need to order more off amazon.

So if I understand you correctly, you want me to post a shameless mirror selfie? Is that why you re really here? If you insist:

See what I'm working with here? If they added like a crossfit games type deal and you had to do 50m of handstand walking I'd be golden, but the cannons merely act as eye candy to the lady triathletes. Good for the rope climb and tire push on tough mudder though.
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 31, 14 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahahaha, nope, you're still skinny. This is after 2 months of upper body work and swimming 2000lcm with paddles 3 times per week.

I'm going the way of Mr Alright Alright starting in March.

Hey, I had a bum ankle, what else was I going to do for 2 months?
I NEED to drop some upper body (and full body) weight!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you run hills? (Or stairs?)

Can't think of anything better than hill or stair intervals for building both aesthetics and functional power in the behind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you burn more calories than you eat, the muscles you do not use will eventually get eaten for fuel. I think if I don't bench I lose a steady 20 pounds of 1RM bench power per month or something...

Rather have muscles though, not a pro.
Quote Reply
Re: I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically). [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've gotten a lot of really poor advice on this thread. The absolute best exercise to build strength in your glutes (and the rest of your lower body) is the back squat. Great form is number 1 priority. However, once you have that then work up from 3x5 at 85% to 6x3 at 90% of your max. All of the other exercises such as lunges are supplemental. Not only will you build your lower half, thus improving power and efficiency (making you a better runner and cyclist) but its an exercise that necessitates a lot of energy expenditure. As long as you keep the upper body work to a minimal and continue biking and running your body will adapt.
Quote Reply
Re: I need to get my ass in better shape (literally not metaphorically). [Hammer Down] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer Down wrote:
You've gotten a lot of really poor advice on this thread. The absolute best exercise to build strength in your glutes (and the rest of your lower body) is the back squat. Great form is number 1 priority. However, once you have that then work up from 3x5 at 85% to 6x3 at 90% of your max. All of the other exercises such as lunges are supplemental. Not only will you build your lower half, thus improving power and efficiency (making you a better runner and cyclist) but its an exercise that necessitates a lot of energy expenditure. As long as you keep the upper body work to a minimal and continue biking and running your body will adapt.

Yep. Except i would say Deadlifts are even more effective for your glutes and back. That said, do both. They help build the durability to keep you injury free and keep you strong. I do them every week. I do 2 6-8 week blocks a year where i cut volume of endurance way down and gain strength back. To maintain i adjust the scheme to keep as much strength as i can with the least taxing effort. For example, in strength gain phase i might do 4x5 reps of 140kg for deadlifts, but now, as i am prepping for challenge bahrain i do 4x3 reps of 140kg(1.75xbw) for deadlifts and 5x2 reps of 120kg(1.5xbw) squats. This keeps the nervous system from getting lazy and maintains about 90% of my strength through the training cycle. I also am not sore or overly fatigued the next day and i maintain proper hip mobility. I have done the sbr with and without strength training and my personal experience is that i am just as fast, but stronger and more durable with the weight training. Most importantly, i don't look like i am anorexic and i can't fit into skinny jeans.
Quote Reply