Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I need a strength / core training plan
Quote | Reply
I'm in my off season, and need to start a strength training plan and some core work. I'm looking for something that has a plan that is structured that will run a period of time. I'm lazy in being able to prepare a plan am looking for something off the shelf and just start doing before I get too much fatter since my season is over.

Normally, I just SBR during the off season. But, I injured my knee a few weeks ago so running and any cycling under power is out until I can get with my Ortho to read the MRI and find out what's going on with it.

Recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: I need a strength / core training plan [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do lots of swimming focusing on form and strength with pull buoy, paddles, kick boards, and drill work. Get out of the water and do this gym routine from Crowie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aNq5v695T0

You can add some weight training as well but do high reps with low weight. Push ups, lat pulls, squats, lunges, and leg presses.
Last edited by: crujones#33: Oct 20, 16 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: I need a strength / core training plan [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:

You can add some weight training as well but do high reps with low weight. Push ups, lat pulls, squats, lunges, and leg presses.

There is some evidence to suggest that the opposite of this advice is true. Higher weight with low reps might help more.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: I need a strength / core training plan [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
crujones#33 wrote:

There is some evidence to suggest that the opposite of this advice is true. Higher weight with low reps might help more.

You may very well be correct, I haven't been a serious weight lifter since I got into this sport 5 years ago. I'm not up to date on the latest trends in weight training. I just always subscribed to the idea that high weight and low rep builds muscle mass, low weight high rep builds endurance, contributes more to weight loss, and tones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the same boat, needing some core/strength, but most importantly - FLEXIBILITY work.

I got into a group that is 'barefoot boot camp'. Basically it is alot of mobility and strength workouts done barefoot. As I have found, the 'core' is not just an isolated group of muscles. Building strength from the feet up, with the associated stability, has strengthened what i would have previously just referred to as 'the core'.

4 weeks into the program, the results are noticeable. And this is coming from and 'anti-gumby'.

db
Quote Reply
Re: I need a strength / core training plan [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
I was in the same boat, needing some core/strength, but most importantly - FLEXIBILITY work.

I got into a group that is 'barefoot boot camp'. Basically it is alot of mobility and strength workouts done barefoot. As I have found, the 'core' is not just an isolated group of muscles. Building strength from the feet up, with the associated stability, has strengthened what i would have previously just referred to as 'the core'.

4 weeks into the program, the results are noticeable. And this is coming from and 'anti-gumby'.

db

You probably don't mean to sound click-baity, so please tell us what the results are. Sorry to bust your chops a bit, just wishing for more concrete answers. More flexibility? Lose weight? Improved 5k or FTP? Less soreness after swimming? Ability to do longer training sessions? -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: I need a strength / core training plan [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'click-baity', Ha I love that ! And not at all.

So part of hitting the 'RESET' button this fall, was a result of having Shoulder Surgery 4 mths ago. Bicep tendon, rotator cuff, Librium. I wanted a program to get me back on the bike (primarily - track) with better symmetry, and more mobility in the priformus (sp) and hip-flexors. My PT suggested the barefoot class, along with strength workouts that included total body movements with kettle-bells - also barefoot.

The main focus has been to be able to ride with more of a neutral spine, and more flexibility in the hip-flexors. This has allowed me to ride without 'binding' up, causing spasms that start in the lower back, and travel down the left side all the way down to the shin, and ankle.

A two hour ride last sunday, and a track workout with my friend Colby Pierce, reinforced that the work is paying off. His comment was that 'i have not seen you ride with such a good position in 4 years of working with you'. Granted my spin was a bit choppy, but that's from not being out much while recovering.

db
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
rsmoylan wrote:
crujones#33 wrote:

You may very well be correct, I haven't been a serious weight lifter since I got into this sport 5 years ago. I'm not up to date on the latest trends in weight training. I just always subscribed to the idea that high weight and low rep builds muscle mass, low weight high rep builds endurance, contributes more to weight loss, and tones.

Which is why you build endurance with swim, bike, run. But you can build work capacity with weights, great exercises for that are turkish get-ups, farmer walks, etc. Also help greatly with stability and postural control.

Want to build a strong core, squat. Probably the best bang for your buck and all around core exercise you can have.

The only real time you should do low weight high reps in starting in strength training and learning the movements and directly coming out of a season
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bridge Athletics. If you have any questions, let me know. A lot of the pros and age groupers I work with use it and we've seen a lot of success.

Hope this helps,

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: I need a strength / core training plan [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will second the Bridge program. I am an age grouper that Tim coaches in swimming and I started the Bridge program 5 months ago. It's 30 minutes x 3 days a week. There is a combo of strength and stretching. It has been the only program that I have actually stuck with for longer than 3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Core Advantage - Tom Danielson
Quote Reply
Re: I need a strength / core training plan [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
I will second the Bridge program. I am an age grouper that Tim coaches in swimming and I started the Bridge program 5 months ago. It's 30 minutes x 3 days a week. There is a combo of strength and stretching. It has been the only program that I have actually stuck with for longer than 3 weeks.

how much does this bridge program cost? I checked the website out and couldn't find out any cost info
Quote Reply
Re: I need a strength / core training plan [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$55 per month and they have a slightly cheaper quarterly and then yearly plan.

Also, Tom Danielson is a cheater and I'd never support anything he's pushing. There are plenty of other great people with information that don't dope.

As far as a plan, if you don't want to spend money to do it then just figure out your limiters and start googling which exercises would best benefit those weaknesses...then supplement them with exercises you already know...get in the gym 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes and stick to it. You'll evolve it over time, but it's more about doing something consistently over time.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is your recovery coming along after the shoulder surgery? This may be something I have to have done in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: I need a strength / core training plan [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimmy

I dodged getting into the bonus points by not having to have the rotator cuff cut and re-attached - while torn, it is not torn over 50% - so they just cleaned it up and removed bone spurs. I did have the bicep tendon cut which was the biggest problem. First two months were not good. Plan on sleeping in the Lazy-Boy for the first week at the minimum. Basically in the sling, and really not wanting to move it. Next month was trying to get some mobility back. I had the surgery May 18 so at 5 months I basically have full mobility and am getting the Peck Muscle 'trained' to take up more of the load from the Bicep.

If you have to have the rotator cuff cut and reattached - Maybe double everything - at the least !

good luck
db
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may sound lame to many but just get your self a used set of the p90x dvds. Pop em in the dvd and follow the work outs . Its that simple. All you need are some dumbells and a pull up bar and your good to go. There not wimpy workouts either. The shit works . Ive been doing the individual muscle group dvds 3 days a week for years sub the other work outs for sbr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The past 2 years, Crossland Human Performance was on here offering his 12 week plan (3 sessions per week) to anyone who asked. The author is a Div 1 strength and weightlifting coach, and National Champion Weightlifter. It's named after the author, not after crossfit; and he designed it for triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detailed reply. The bicep tendon is likely to be repaired, and the supraspinatus may also be repaired. I know that it is a long recovery regardless. It sounds like you're doing well with the recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming is definitely a great option and theres very little chance to injure yourself during a workout!

Mike from cardioboss.com here. Generally interested in learning more about bikes to enhance my knowledge and increase my fitness :)
Quote Reply
david [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
This may sound lame to many but just get your self a used set of the p90x dvds. Pop em in the dvd and follow the work outs . Its that simple. All you need are some dumbells and a pull up bar and your good to go. There not wimpy workouts either. The shit works . Ive been doing the individual muscle group dvds 3 days a week for years sub the other work outs for sbr.

Interesting. It doesn't seem lame. Before triathlon, I did a ton of p90x, Rush fit and insanity. Those programs changed my life and I would have never even gotten into the sport if I hadn't gone through them First.

That said, I haven't touched them for years... Didn't think they had and Sbr application.. But maybe need to revisit? I can do almost all of it.
Quote Reply
Re: I need a strength / core training plan [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember that offer. Was the program good?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: david [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

Interesting. It doesn't seem lame. Before triathlon, I did a ton of p90x, Rush fit and insanity. Those programs changed my life and I would have never even gotten into the sport if I hadn't gone through them First.

That said, I haven't touched them for years... Didn't think they had and Sbr application.. But maybe need to revisit? I can do almost all of it.
4 weeks:
Monday - chest / back dvd
Wednesday - legs/ ab ripper dvd
Friday - shoulders/ arms dvd
Off week :
tuesday - yoga x dvd
Thursday- core synergistics dvd
Next 4 weeks:
Monday- chest /shoulders /tris dvd
Wendesday - legs / ab ripperdvd
Friday - back / bicepts dvd
Off week , then start over.
(Leg dvd ,fast fwd through back excersises.)
I wouldnt call it an sbr specific training plan , but just a good all around strength and core building plan.
Quote Reply
Re: I need a strength / core training plan [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
I remember that offer. Was the program good?

Scott

I used the 2014 version to good effect. Felt a lot stronger afterwards. I've been doing different stuff this past year, but plan on trying the 2015 version this winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do 2 day/week of strength work and have stuck to this rough plan the last 2-3 months. I've noticed a difference in overall strength and my FTP on the bike has definitely gone up (though I'm still training in the other sports). I wanted to keep it simple and not divert too much attention from my goal to get stronger on the bike and be ready for training next year.

(This is my offseason until around Feb)

Mon: Run to work (6miles),
3 supersets:
3xDeadlifts - 10-12 reps each
3xpullups - immediately follow deadlifts with 10-12 (or to failure)
Lunch swim - end pace
(sometime jog home)

Tues: Cycle - trainer road and commute to/from work

Wed: Run - End pace

Thur: Cycle - End Pace
Lunch Swim

Fri: Run end pace
3 Supersets:
3xsquats - 10-12 reps
3x pushups - 10-12 reps

Weekend: usually cycle or trainerroad sets + one day off

I'm starting to mix in a little more sets, like hip stretches and lunges. But the total strength work is likely around 30 min per week.

Good luck!
Quote Reply