Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike
Quote | Reply
So raced Donner today. During the steep downhill back to Donner, going 30, with a mile left to go down the hill on the bike, I hear what sounds like a cracking noise. I start thinking my worst fear doing this race. I crash on the killer downhill. I slam on the brakes hoping I could save my self from crashing. I slam on the brakes tight to get down to like 10 mph, unclip a shoe, and wait for destiny. But, for me, I was having a semi decent bike and this was my A race for the season. The mind was all over the map. Do I totally stop and see what is going on and be screwed. I decided to just keep the bike real slow and see if there was anyway I could make it down the rest of the hill for the last mile to get to the run. I made it in one piece as bikers were flying by me.

Headed off on the run trying to make up time and do the best I could. (Was pretty proud of this old guy, 2nd fastest run OA, 6:43 pace. :) )

So after the race I finally went back to the bike to see what damage was done. Turns out I had a flat front tire. I cannot believe I did not crash on the bike.

But, this is now the second time I have had a front wheel issue during races, Donner today, and IMLT 2013, where I am braking a lot in the big hills trying to keep my speed down, I assume the rims overheat, and I have front wheel issues.

So, this now, again, has me thinking, for ME, if I had disc brakes, I could safely do this races with huge hills and not burn up brakes with disc wheels. Now, I am assuming this is true?

So, when do Manufactures announce their 2018 models, or have they already done this? Seems since it has been a few years, that disc brakes may finally be in a few offering of TT bikes? Or course if I do this, I would have to look at electronic, and the Etap from SRAM seems to be the best option with the fewest cables?

Okay, flame away at me for terrible bike handling skills, etc, but for this old guy, I need safety! Looking forward to helpful comments on the bike options for 2018.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Okay, flame away at me for terrible bike handling skills, etc, but for this old guy, I need safety! Looking forward to helpful comments on the bike options for 2018.

I eagerly await the comments that I know are coming

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes ARE the way to go. Find the brand you like best and purchase away! Or retrofit with a disc wheel. Your use case is the perfect justification for the use of disc brakes.
John
Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Disc brakes ARE the way to go. Find the brand you like best and purchase away! Or retrofit with a disc wheel. Your use case is the perfect justification for the use of disc brakes.
John

Retrofit your wheels with disc brakes? Does this mean your front and rear width of the frame also has to widen to accept such a change?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
John

Was interesting talking to many folks about this killer hill back into Donner. So many are like me, especially older, that we are holding on to dear life trying to get to the bottom safely.

(Let's see, one gal going down the hill to the west, 30 mph, had a deer jump out in front of her and she crashed BIG time. Was amazed when I was talking to her she seemed to only have serious road rash everywhere. Another is in the hospital when a call pulled out in front of them. Even in a race the bike can be real dangerous.)

Since I believe Disc brakes need a wider frame for the wheels, retrofit bikes may not be technically possible.

I have been down this road before and things were SO expensive. I ended buying two 2009 Cervelo P2's which has allowed me to have 3 TT bikes all 10 speed where everything works on each other. Once start down the new road, it is Disc, 11 speed, and which electronic. Ouch.

Any idea when the 2018 new offerings are announced?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
John

Retrofit your wheels with disc brakes? Does this mean your front and rear width of the frame also has to widen to accept such a change?

That is what I thought I had read doing this research in the past.

Was easy for MFG's to offer front disc brakes since they just put on a new front folk.
But the back needs a new frame since it has to be wider.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
John

I just looked and see nothing in TT from Cervelo.

But, sure seems that maybe for next season some Mfg's will offer TT disc bikes?

Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I eagerly await the comments that I know are coming

Nah, you think Tom is going to attack again? :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.

Your only options right now are a Cervelo P5-X, Diamondback Andean, or Parlee.

I'd hold off for another year if you can.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 23, 17 15:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of wheels do you race on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you race, you'll like that discs make you safer AND faster. Lots of people show that they go faster on downhills since they feel more confidence. If I biked competitively around mountains, I'd hop on this disc train ASAP. Just stay safe until you get that new bike and good luck!

Video of how disc brakes are faster.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:

Zipp disc and front Zipp 808

Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Since you race, you'll like that discs make you safer AND faster. Lots of people show that they go faster on downhills since they feel more confidence. If I biked competitively around mountains, I'd hop on this disc train ASAP. Just stay safe until you get that new bike and good luck!

Video of how disc brakes are faster.

Most of the races, or rides I do around where I live can have some very big steep hills!!! And I have been caught in them with rain also.

So when I was looking a few years back, nothing really was released yet.

I have zero desire to buy any over priced super bike. Just would love a decent bike, for about 5K with discs wheels, etap or Di2 shifting, and I guess 11 speed.
I just would also really need the ability to put a BB on the bike with square taper so I could still swap around my 200mm cranks but I guess I could always buy a new
BB style if forced to.

For me, Cervelo P2 level bike is all I need in a bike frame.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the op flatted .. are you sure it's due to overheat ? Poor braking technique ?

Obviously disc brakes can heat and fade as well.... if your flat was due to something else disc ain't gonna help.

I agree front flats at 30+ are no fun but the ones I've had were due to me hitting something on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a p2 equivalent, then you need to wait or buy a road bike with disc brakes and throw on some aerobars. I'm assuming you don't want a road bike so you are kinda stuck waiting at least another year and there is no guarantee that a p2 equivalent disc brake bike will be out by then.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
So the op flatted .. are you sure it's due to overheat ? Poor braking technique ?

Obviously disc brakes can heat and fade as well.... if your flat was due to something else disc ain't gonna help.

I agree front flats at 30+ are no fun but the ones I've had were due to me hitting something on the road.

Fair questions, just made those comments to my wife.

I will take the wheel apart tomorrow and see if I can find root cause.

The race today had terrible roads.

But, it is interesting that the only 2 times over many years racing have had front flats are huge downhills where I have been heavy on the brakes for a long time.

Just seems it is time for me again to test the waters to see if the industry has released anything for sale since I was asking about this a while back. The answer might still be no, but sure does not hurt to look. Is interesting that this is the second race I have done on new intertubes with the removable cores. So yet, I have a large number of variables.

But still goes back to the same reasons I was looking in the past. Disc brakes seem to be safer for steep downhills, and in rain, both of which I can be in.

Never had a new bike in a long long time. I have said I would only buy a new bike with Disc brakes, and I still make this comment for me. Just trying to see if I can give myself maybe a Christmas present.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No doubt in foul weather advantage disc .. textured brakes tracks are pretty nice though.

I'm due for new road bike soon... considering disc myself but am a weight weenie at heart.. road bike is 13lbs with heavy paint job

I don't see disc TT/ Tri bike in my near future ... but not against it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, this fork;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/lynskey-endurance-disc-carbon-road-fork-2017/rp-prod89254

and this disc brake;

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/03/25/tpe17-trp-puts-a-proper-hydraulic-disc-brake-system-on-tttriathlon-bikes-and-more/

would mount right up on your Cervelo.

Then you all you need is a disc brake front hub and have it laced to you favorite rim and you are in business.

Now that I have solved this problem for you, I've got to say; what are you kidding me?! 30 mph is not fast going downhill. It's not even a little fast. At American Zoffingen we usually hit 55 and then go into a hard square left turn. On one of my usual riding loops from home I go over 50 if there is no head wind. I was really disappointed when I went to Tahoe an barely got over 40. I thought I was in the big mountains and I thought I'd get over 60.

Congratulations on your excellent run. But man, with that kind of biking, you need it.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Karl.n wrote:

The stop gap solution would be to get aluminum rimmed wheels to race on. Still more reliable than carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Karl.n wrote:

The stop gap solution would be to get aluminum rimmed wheels to race on. Still more reliable than carbon.

Or at least an alloy front. I've done some races with a carbon rimmed front and alloy back (long story) and nobody notices the disparity. Just have to swap out the brake pads.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
So, this now, again, has me thinking, for ME, if I had disc brakes, I could safely do this races with huge hills and not burn up brakes with disc wheels. Now, I am assuming this is true?

If you are riding the brakes enough to overheat the rim and blow a tire, switching to discs may not solve your problem. Discs can also overheat if you ride them, but instead of of blowing a tire you may lose your brakes...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how you tried to limit the comments to "helpful comments", but this is ST, you'll get flamed by half of the respondents, and lauded by the other half.

me? I laud your decision

Previously I'd focussed most of my love for disc brakes on the wet weather performance (that's our biggest issue here), but blowing up front tires, from excessive rim heat, is certainly worth thinking about.

As MTB'ers have found out, you need to be careful with your selection of brake fluid. Don't get the kind that boils, bubbles and loses all your braking effect :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think a front disc wheel on your tri bike would have helped with this situation and would have made handling even more difficult.
Quote Reply
Re: I may start looking for a Disc wheel tri bike [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Dave, this fork;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/lynskey-endurance-disc-carbon-road-fork-2017/rp-prod89254

and this disc brake;

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/03/25/tpe17-trp-puts-a-proper-hydraulic-disc-brake-system-on-tttriathlon-bikes-and-more/

would mount right up on your Cervelo.

Then you all you need is a disc brake front hub and have it laced to you favorite rim and you are in business.

Now that I have solved this problem for you, I've got to say; what are you kidding me?! 30 mph is not fast going downhill. It's not even a little fast. At American Zoffingen we usually hit 55 and then go into a hard square left turn. On one of my usual riding loops from home I go over 50 if there is no head wind. I was really disappointed when I went to Tahoe an barely got over 40. I thought I was in the big mountains and I thought I'd get over 60.

Congratulations on your excellent run. But man, with that kind of biking, you need it.

Thanks, will take a look.

I always say, with so many have such terrible runs, they really need their biking. :)

How old are you? If I compare my bike times to folk around my age, I may not be at the top, but I am not as bad as so many try to make it.
And, yes we are doing a triathlon. So, some may pass me on the bike since they are studs, and I am not. But, my strength is the run, and for me a 60 year old to have the second fastest run, I will still ask, why are some of these folks doing a tri when they cannot run? They should be doing the Aquabike. :)

I do not like going over 30 mph.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Karl.n wrote:

These are older clinchers with aluminum rimmed. I have no carbon wheels.

Quote Reply

Prev Next