Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I love Asics Running Shoes but...
Quote | Reply
I'm just wondering if anybody else has this issue?

The last two pair of Asics I bought both started wearing a whole in the inside heel part. I thought the first time maybe I just didn't buy one of there better shoes (Blurr 33). Then after purchasing one of there higher end shoes (Nimbus 13...$130.00 a pair) I knew something was not right. I mean that is a lot of money for a shoe to just start tearing! As far as the fit, they feel great...perfect in fact!

I run three days a week 20mi total. I've had the shoes for about 8 months.

Do the other big name shoe companies (Nike, Saucony, Brooks or Pearl Izumi) have this issue as well?
Quote Reply
Re: I love Asics Running Shoes but... [finsfree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20mpwx4weeks/month x 8 months= minimum of 640mi

I'm 5 10 and 145lbs and my shoes dont last more than 300mi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics seems to be rubish in my opinion.

I've switched to brooks and couldn't be happier! Have a pair of glycerins with 1200 miles on them, still functional.
Quote Reply
Re: I love Asics Running Shoes but... [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So time for a new pair then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fins,
I have been wearing Asics for 15 years now. 15 years of indoor volleyball and 2 years running. I am on my 4th pair of Kayano's. While my Asics always wear out in the heel, the most recent pair seems to have discintegrated must faster than the other pairs I have gone through. I am sending them back to roadrunnersports.com as they have a 90 day guarantee on their shoes when you sign up as a VIP ( the VIP membership paid for itself when I bought the shoes).

They will be sending me another pair of Kayanos as they fit me like a glove (shoe).

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Quote Reply
Re: I love Asics Running Shoes but... [cjathey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2...gone through many many pairs of Brooks since I made the switch from Asics in 2008. I've branched out and tried others but they can't compare. Now I run in the Pure Flow, Connect, and T7 Racer. May order a pair of spikes for shits and giggles for my (joke of a) workouts on the track. The new Mach 14 Spikeless look pretty cool as well.

In short, I don't run in anything other than Brooks these days.
Quote Reply
Re: I love Asics Running Shoes but... [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
20mpwx4weeks/month x 8 months= minimum of 640mi

I'm 5 10 and 145lbs and my shoes dont last more than 300mi

What parts of your shoes are not lasting past 300mi? I'd ask for a refund due to design defect for shoes that don't last 300 miles. I just passed 1000miles on a set of nike lunaracers. They are a bit ugly and not good for anything offroad due to lack of tread but still completely serviceable on road.

Do you also lather, rinse and repeat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running for over 30 years most of which have been with Asics. I haven't had a pair of Asics where I didn't have that problem. I don't have that problem on any other type of shoe. Until your post I thought it was just me. Misery loves company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear asics and have never had that problem. I'm 6'4" and until recently 245-255lbs. The midsole is toast long before anything else. They last me about 400 miles just like every other shoe brand I've tried.
Quote Reply
Re: I love Asics Running Shoes but... [Indigodog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys!

I think I'll give Brooks a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the exact same problem. Tried several different models of Asics. Contacted company, and they even sent me a pair (to their credit) but I'd start wearing a hole through the heel before 100 miles--every time. Tried Nimbus, Cumulus, Landreth, and the 20--series. My next brand was Newton, and I've not looked back. But I've also had good luck w Brooks and Nike. Sometimes the cut of a shoe doesn't match your anatomy, even though they feel good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
finsfree wrote:
Thanks guys!

I think I'll give Brooks a shot.

I've always run on Asics, but I get the cheaper models. From Shoe warehouse or Eastbay I don't spend more than $40-$50 and they always last well over 1,000 miles. Maybe go cheaper?

The one pair of Brooks I bought in my entire life started falling apart after 200M.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: I love Asics Running Shoes but... [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've run in Asics since I started and am consistently at >40 mpw and I have never had this problem. My problem is always my little toe poking a hole through the sidewall. That is after 4-6 mos of running though so they seem very durable to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
finsfree wrote:
I'm just wondering if anybody else has this issue?

The last two pair of Asics I bought both started wearing a whole in the inside heel part.

I have always had this problem with Asics shoes, which I have worn for the last 15-odd years. I get a hole in the inside lining of the heel, both shoes, after say 100-150 miles, gets worse over time, but not annoying, and I toss them at something a little over 300 miles ...
Quote Reply
Re: I love Asics Running Shoes but... [mburchard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most sources I've seen over the years recommend new shoes between 300-500 miles anyways. I'm surprised at how many people are saying they keep their shoes into the 800, 1000, 1500 mile marks.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like heel slip is causing this to me. Different shoes have different heel widths. If yours is narrow it could slip.
OTOH I agree with other posters that you're getting pretty good life out of the shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: I love Asics Running Shoes but... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I'm surprised at how many people are saying they keep their shoes into the 800, 1000, 1500 mile marks.

To be clear I am not one of those people. Heel lining wear is least of my worries at something over 300 miles, midsoles are shot too and I like my knees.
Quote Reply
Re: I love Asics Running Shoes but... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Most sources I've seen over the years recommend new shoes between 300-500 miles anyways. I'm surprised at how many people are saying they keep their shoes into the 800, 1000, 1500 mile marks.

The running shoe companies are telling you to replace your shoes that often. It's a conspiracy...

I can get 1000 miles out of my shoes and I've never had a serious injury. I think that it's easier and safer to do this with minimal shoes (the Saucony Kinvara or New Balance Minimus in my case). More substantial cushioning/stability shoes have more material to break down, collapse and compress which changes the characteristics of the shoes in undesirable ways as they age. Minimal footwear starts out with little cushioning and support and therefore doesn't have much to lose as it wears out.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: I love Asics Running Shoes but... [cjathey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjathey wrote:
Asics seems to be rubish in my opinion.

I've switched to brooks and couldn't be happier! Have a pair of glycerins with 1200 miles on them, still functional.

+1. I think about 10 years ago they started changing their designs and cutting out some costs. They got heavier and quit fitting me as well. I went to Brooks and loved them. I recently switch to Saucony to try some thingdifferent and like them as well. Actually, not a completely objective comparison, but I did a 10 miler pushing a stroller today and I wasn't nearly as sore and no blisters than in my Brooks even when they were new. I'm a heel striker, not point in fighting it, so having a LOT of heel padding seems to make a big difference when training. I probably need some different racing flats now.

IMO, Brooks and Saucony seem to understand smaller but wider feet, while Asics and Nike seem to be more for longer feet. But maybe that's just my perception.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi I have had exactly the same problem, and i have only walked in my ASICS Gel Kayano for about two months. The quality has defiantly fallen to below a usable level. I guess it is all based on reducing the production cost!! The shoes should last 6 months of intense use.

I have worn Asics for many years and over the last few years the quality of the product is now so poor they start to wear out within weeks!
The main problem I have found is the lining material around the ankle and heal area.It starts to pill and ball within days of wearing them and eventually within less than two months a small hole forms at that point.
With every wear that hole gets bigger and bigger until the shoe is so uncomfortable to wear anymore and then starts to cause a blister on the foot. Effectively making the shoe that looks brand new worn out within three months use. Dont waist your money on the product until they address the problem.They "ASICS" ignore any correspondence I have tried to make with them to discuss the issue.
Do yourself a favour and Buy a different Brand!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
finsfree wrote:
The last two pair of Asics I bought both started wearing a whole in the inside heel part. I thought the first time maybe I just didn't buy one of there better shoes (Blurr 33). Then after purchasing one of there higher end shoes (Nimbus 13...$130.00 a pair) I knew something was not right. I mean that is a lot of money for a shoe to just start tearing! As far as the fit, they feel great...perfect in fact!
I put 600 miles on each of two pairs of Nimbus 12s. If you looked at them, you would think that they had 200-300 miles on them. No tears anywhere, still lots of rubber on the soles. The ASICS Gel-Excel33 2 on the other hand, which is a more recent model, had tears in the uppers in multiple places and the right one had a hole worn through the inside of the heel, after 350 miles. I loved the Brooks Green Silence 2, but they stopped making them. I've liked my Saucony Kinvara 3 and Kinvara 5, although the soles wear quickly.

Pete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the tearing on the inside of the heel or outside ?
If it's inside, you may have skinny heels (like me) and need to tie your shoes differently.
I used to run in asics, but found my foot sliding off the bed and causing blistering on my baby toe. I switched back to Saucony.
Quote Reply
Re: I love Asics Running Shoes but... [Snowmass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably didn't see that there are FAQs under rules & Legend.

WHAT CAN'T I POST HERE? We are especially cranky about trial-by-internet. Do not register to post on this forum only to have your first post be a complaint against a company doing business in the sport of triathlon. Do not lodge a complaint against a named entity unless you yourself are willing to be identifiable, that is, no anonymous rants.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My personal experience with Asics has always been good. Recently I've had 3 pairs of DS Racers and 1 pair of Fuji Racers. I get 400 miles out of the DS Racers, the Fuji's don't have many miles on them.

When I tried the Nimbus many years ago I thought they were really well constructed shoes and they fit me well. With that said, if I put a hole inside the heel in $130 shoes I'd be looking for different ones too.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Due to the shape of the back of my heel, I wear a hole there in every pair of shoes I own (dress shoes, cycling shoes, Brooks, ASICS, Nike, etc.). I haven't found it to be a functional issue though.

It's just how the shape of your heel mates with the shoe, nothing to do w/quality.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply

Prev Next