Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I know zero about power
Quote | Reply
I am looking for any advice on purchasing some equipment so I can monitor my power output .Looking to spend between $500-$1,000.
The problem is I know zero about this topic .
Quote Reply
Re: I know zero about power [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am generally not one to recommend the search function or google by default but, in this case you really should.

My only recommendation is that your price range is a limiter and you would probably be best served buy buying a Stages meter. (FWIW I use a powertap hub)

But, before that do a lot of reading. A powermeter was one of the best investments I made in cycling. But it is useless without knowing its purpose and how to interpret the data.

Good luck, it will be a good learning experience that will likely improve your performance if used correctly.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Last edited by: warwicke36: Jul 7, 15 18:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend that you start by reading http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...reviews/power-meters

I recently bought the PowerTap G3 Alloy wheel for $699...it seemed the best option for me

FWIW, I've found that power helps greatly for pacing myself. It is a very literally indicator of how hard I am working regardless of incline/decline headwind/headwind/tailwind; it keeps me honest about making my hard days hard and my easy days easy.

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get a P2M Type S or a Quarq Riken. I would definitely not get any single leg solution, like a Stages. Your budget can cover a full power meter, so don't buy half a power meter. A Powertap wheel would do well too, they're not as new/glittery as some of the new meters, but they're a solid option.

I would also buy Training and Racing with a Power Meter, then read it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out DC rainmakers reviews and this book. It is a good intro for people (like I was ) who knew nothing about power.

http://www.amazon.com/...er-2nd/dp/1934030554

I am by no means a power guru, but in the 18 months that I have had my powermeter I found it is a great tool that has helped me get better, be able to measure how much better I am getting and ride and race smarter.

I only wish I got one sooner.

AND in my limited experience I love my Powertap G 3 hub. It works great with my Garmin 310.
Last edited by: Jamie: Jul 7, 15 18:22
Quote Reply
Re: I know zero about power [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This, spend 30-50$ or whatever on some good reading. Also search here (or else where) on the numerous power threads. Basically if you buy a PM you need to understand why you are using it and how it can improve training.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect spot for a Stages or Powertap Hub. As mentioned above, Training and Racing with a powermeter is a good option as well as the forums for learning.

If you buy from us, we also get you a free month of coachingin order to have you better understand your power meter and how to train with it alongside a coach. Check us out... https://fascatcoaching.com/powermeters/

Good luck!

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist / Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: I know zero about power [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you can purchase a P2Max for $599 there is no reason to spend anything on a Stages power estimator

http://www.power2max.com/...ossamer-power-meter/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap G3 wheel. Train on gatorskins or something similar. When race day comes around put faster rubber on. I just picked up a Powertap G3 on a HED Belgium+ rim for $699 for my training bike: changing tires is gloriously easy.
Quote Reply