Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I know tubulars are crap but...
Quote | Reply
I know that tubulars are 2005. But my friend is stuck she has hed stingers tubular 60 90 . I am getting her off the gatorskins but what do we replace them with ??? She is a racer and these are race wheels
Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have HED Stinger 60's that I bought a few years ago when I was road racing only. I have Vittoria EVO CXII with the 320tpi. They are great rolling tyres and never had a puncture in years.

In terms of outright speed with that setup for TT/Tri's, it's hard to find data. From what I've read I've pretty much settled on the following options - Vittori Corsa Speed, Zipp Tangente SL, or Continental Podium TT. My next tyres now that I've stopped road racing will be the Corsa Speed if I'm still on tubulars by then
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corsa Eco CX's are very nice but I think they've been discontinued as Victoria had revamped their portfolio. Maybe try the new VIttoria's with graphene? The high-end ones (Corsa Speed?) still have latex tubes but they also do a triathlon model with butyl tubes - intended to better maintain pressure while sitting in transition or over a long (Ironman) day.

Tubulars are not so 2005 if you're a pro-cyclist...
Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PT wrote:
Corsa Eco CX's are very nice but I think they've been discontinued as Victoria had revamped their portfolio. Maybe try the new VIttoria's with graphene? The high-end ones (Corsa Speed?) still have latex tubes but they also do a triathlon model with butyl tubes - intended to better maintain pressure while sitting in transition or over a long (Ironman) day.

Tubulars are not so 2005 if you're a pro-cyclist...

Yes the latex tube versions will slowly lose psi. In terms of the rate, I've observed about 1psi per hour for my EVO CXII's. My advice would be to get the latex tube tyres, pump them up in transition before race start and there is no problem with air loss.

And I agree, I actually still really like my tubulars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually just switched to tubular and loved them. A bit of a pain in the ass to plan out the glueing schedule right before a race but on race wheels its great since I only use them a couple times a year.

I bought the Vitoria corsa G+ Since I didn't want to risk a flat with the Corsa speed. I was really happy with them. Nashbar had a 20% off deal on tires so they were reasonable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubulars are not crap. I've used both of these with Stingers, and both rode great:

http://www.probikekit.ca/...d-tyre/10776989.html

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...n-tubular/#pid=22543
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a long time (25+ years) tubular guy and Vitoria Corsa CX have always been my "go to" tire. Always a safe, reliable choice.

This year, I went with the Vitoria Speed Graphene tubies. Far from cheap, but wow....best tubular I have ever ridden.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
This year, I went with the Vitoria Speed Graphene tubies. Far from cheap, but wow....best tubular I have ever ridden.

The clincher version is great too.
Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Slightly off topic, but found it interesting that the following rolling resistance review for the graphine clincher shows that it has lower rolling resistance at 120 psi than 100 or 80!
I thought the prevailing 'research' showed that lower psi, like 90, was related to much lower rolling resistance...

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...-corsa-graphene-2016
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Oct 23, 16 7:46
Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
about the crap tubulars I agree... slowtwitch just seems to respond better to louder titles haha! thanks everyone for your help. there really is NOTHING out on the web on tubulars that is relavent to what is sold in 2016
Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [Furious D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furious D wrote:
I actually just switched to tubular and loved them. A bit of a pain in the ass to plan out the glueing schedule right before a race but on race wheels its great since I only use them a couple times a year.

I bought the Vitoria corsa G+ Since I didn't want to risk a flat with the Corsa speed. I was really happy with them. Nashbar had a 20% off deal on tires so they were reasonable.

I'm currently on clinchers, but miss my tubulars. I'm always on the fence about switching back.
The things I really like about the clinchers:
- supposedly faster....
- I love that I can get a top of the line tire (GP4000SII) for $40 Canadian from the UK mailorder...and a latex tube about $10.
- I love how easy and clean (and cheap) it is to swap on a new tire before a race. When I say clean, I don't have a problem gluing tires, but I always wonder about the old residue from the previous tire. Plus, even with years of experiece, it's pretty hard to get a tubular on -perfectly- straight, and there is almost always at least a tiny bump at the valve...

But I miss the ride of tubies, and how the lighter wheels feel underneath me. Most of my fastest times were on tubulars....go figure...
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Oct 23, 16 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
I know that tubulars are 2005. But my friend is stuck she has hed stingers tubular 60 90 . I am getting her off the gatorskins but what do we replace them with ??? She is a racer and these are race wheels

I realize this probably won't have latex tubes in them, but if I was riding tubies, I would probably go with the Conti Podium TT. They are going to roll decently well, seem to be very aero, and have Conti's reliable casing.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
trail wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Slightly off topic, but found it interesting that the following rolling resistance review for the graphine clincher shows that it has lower rolling resistance at 120 psi than 100 or 80!
I thought the prevailing 'research' showed that lower psi, like 90, was related to much lower rolling resistance...

IIRC all of his tests show this behavior. I think that's because the way his test rig is set up it doesn't adequately account for suspension losses but I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:

I use Zipp Tangentes - SL Speed, 24 front and 27 rear, they are some of the best tubular I have tried, you can get them on Ebay for $69 and up.

Also Tom seams to like them and they tested very well .......

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...peed-course-and.html

https://docs.google.com/.../edit#gid=1224624714

Last edited by: KarlC: Oct 25, 16 8:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2009 was the last time I bought tubulars for my race wheels, Zipp Tangente for the front, Bontrager Race X Lite Pro for rear.
This was based on obsessive-compulsive dithering over available information at that time. I'm not sure if there are newer better ones either.. but have been very happy with both of these.

The Bontrager is still available if you poke around the web a bit,
http://www.sunrisecyclery.com/...-tubular-60747-1.htm

Zipp has a newer Tangente now, Tangente SL Speed tubular introduced in 2015. I think it would be hard to go wrong with these..
Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
trail wrote:
Power13 wrote:

IIRC all of his tests show this behavior. I think that's because the way his test rig is set up it doesn't adequately account for suspension losses but I could be wrong.

Yes. Although his test rig uses "diamondplate" as the surface, in order to adequately simulate "suspension losses" there would need to be a damping element of some sort between the load and the wheel axle.

So, it's not surprising that the testing vs. pressure is similar to what is seen on a smooth roller, just with more "flexing losses" in the contact patch.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like that wouldn't be too hard to rig up, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Probably not...just need to know the dissipation factor of human "squishy bits" ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Probably not...just need to know the dissipation factor of human "squishy bits" ;-)

Ballistic gel should do the trick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_gelatin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Ballistic gel should do the trick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_gelatin

Sure, but if you can quantify it, then a simple spring and damper would suffice...rather than getting all Mythbusters and making a mold of a body ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I brought my Tubular Zipp 999 (808 up front and Disc at back) in 2005, and have used them for racing and the odd long training ride. Never had any problems with them other than a couple of replaced bearings. Have raced pretty much exclusively on Continental Competition Tubs which have likewise never let me down. I am I think on my 4th set - tend to replace them every couple of years as they are very low mileage - maybe 1000km a year. I keep the old ones as spares. So, as a recommendation, the competitions I have found to be great.

I toyed with an upgrade to a clincher disc this year just gone as came into a bit of unexpected money. The big thing for clinchers for me is ease of carrying puncture spares, and the ability to ride the wheel more through the year as it's just a £5 inner tube as opposed to a £60 tub that you are puncturing. However, couldn't justify the money really and I too love how the tubs feel when racing.

Not sure what we are talking about speed wise anyway between a great tub and a great clincher? Couple of watts either way? Not really worth stressing about.
Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmike78 wrote:
Not sure what we are talking about speed wise anyway between a great tub and a great clincher? Couple of watts either way? Not really worth stressing about.

The difference between the best tub and the best clinchers are going to be pretty small, less than .5s per K. But you are not running a great tub right now, the continental has a butyl tube and not a latex tube. Do a search on the forum for good tubular tires, you can pick up some measurable gains from what you are currently using.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote goes to the Specialized S-Works Turbo Tubular Allround 2: a good sized and supple casing (a bit larger than the official 24 mm); latex inner tube; and great Gripton rubber. Closest you'll get to the Turbo Cotton in a tubular. I'm happy enough so far I'm running them on two wheelsets.
Quote Reply
Re: I know tubulars are crap but... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they only come 22 mm is that o.k. front and back? if that is no good the other option i guess is the zipp tangent 24 front 27 rear? hed says ideal is 23 mm width and if the rider is 135 pounds at 80-90 psi?
then zipp says 110 t0 120 psi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
they only come 22 mm is that o.k. front and back? if that is no good the other option i guess is the zipp tangent 24 front 27 rear? hed says ideal is 23 mm width and if the rider is 135 pounds at 80-90 psi?
then zipp says 110 t0 120 psi

If you follow around on here a bunch, you will find that companies say things for various legal reasons. What they say, and what those same people in the company actually do if they ride may differ. I would say the 22mm is perfectly fine, and likely more aero than 24/27. There is a wide range of pressures which you can ride tubies from super hard hard, to super plush. There is no right answer and it totally depends on the rider. Given 135 pounds you should try to find the pressure that yields the optimal rolling resistance + the level of grip and cornering confidence desired. As has been a topic of discussion of late, it is better to be on the 'under' side of inflation than the 'overside' of inflation if running on any other surface than a track.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next