Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I hate the pool
Quote | Reply
New to swimming in the last couple of years since I started tri. My biggest problem is going to the pool. I'm over the hating swimming thing now and sort of enjoy it, but I hate hate hate going to the pool. I'm very MOP on the swim and want to improve. Usually it is empty around lunch so that's when I go. Today I learned there are school groups there all day for the rest of the month, and then we get into summer with basically no availability because of camps, etc. They said they had the lanes open but there were kids everywhere. There is another pool about 20 minutes away, but that eats so much time, I don't think I'd ever go. I have a small pool at home and did the tether thing for about 20 minutes today, and thought it was pretty good, but I felt sloppy. Can this be a viable replacement for a significant portion of pool time or is that not realistic? Would getting a fast lane or something like that be a better option, although not sure I want to pay that much. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [ko21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Apparently for $1,200/year I am allowed to swim at the local Y from 5:30AM to 5:36AM and then again at midnight. It's very convenient.

Of course, the alternative is to go between 3PM and 8PM when the swim team is there and there is also one lane open for adult laps. Problem is "doing butterfly" guy is usually there and he manages to smack me in the head multiple times. Either that, or I swim so close to my lane rope I smack the lane rope and mangle my fingers.

Worst is the swim team next to me has the U8s smoking me. I swear they put the younger kids in the lane next to the adults just to piss me off. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about an endless pool or a VASA Erg?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duathlon
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
"doing butterfly" guy is usually there and he manages to smack me in the head multiple times. Either that, or I swim so close to my lane rope I smack the lane rope and mangle my fingers.

HAHA! That is pretty great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's frowned upon to say swim less, but if that's what you need to do in order to get to the other pool - do that. You are not going to get much of a workout in if sharing a single lane with everyone in what I assume is a 25Y pool? I rotate between three different pools for this reason - my go to being a nearby gym that's convenient on the way to work, a local university pool that's got limited hours but great for a tougher workout given the crowd of being surrounded by real swimmers, and a community pool near the office that's only open later in the day. Options are your friend!
Last edited by: daswafford: May 16, 17 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim tether should work fine for staying in decent swim form compared to your current self. I used one for 2 weeks while I was at a lake house and I couldn't swim far enough out due to lots of motorboats, and it was actually pretty legit.

The main challenge there is the lack of metrics to work toward to improve. It sucks to be stuck in the same place, busting tail, and have nothing to show for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Masters group?

ko21 wrote:
New to swimming in the last couple of years since I started tri. My biggest problem is going to the pool. I'm over the hating swimming thing now and sort of enjoy it, but I hate hate hate going to the pool. I'm very MOP on the swim and want to improve. Usually it is empty around lunch so that's when I go. Today I learned there are school groups there all day for the rest of the month, and then we get into summer with basically no availability because of camps, etc. They said they had the lanes open but there were kids everywhere. There is another pool about 20 minutes away, but that eats so much time, I don't think I'd ever go. I have a small pool at home and did the tether thing for about 20 minutes today, and thought it was pretty good, but I felt sloppy. Can this be a viable replacement for a significant portion of pool time or is that not realistic? Would getting a fast lane or something like that be a better option, although not sure I want to pay that much. Any thoughts are appreciated.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Change pools?

There are lots of pools in my area and they are all different. Some attract more casual crowds. Some attract families (that's a code word for screaming children cutting across lap lanes). Some are mostly lap swimmers. Some have strict rules when it's lap swim time and don't let anyone else in. Others have a schedule but in reality it is a free for all.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
The swim tether should work fine for staying in decent swim form compared to your current self. I used one for 2 weeks while I was at a lake house and I couldn't swim far enough out due to lots of motorboats, and it was actually pretty legit.

The main challenge there is the lack of metrics to work toward to improve. It sucks to be stuck in the same place, busting tail, and have nothing to show for it.

Aren't you going to tell him about your Vasa experience???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt he'll buy one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't sweat it.

Swim practice is cheating. Get on your bike like a man.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you are a triathlete - that means you hate swimming and the pool.
20 minute drive is nothing to me in the suburbia I live in - and usually that is only 6-8 mile drive.
Find a Masters program (better yet, a well coached Masters program) and swim there.
Or, just deal with being behind at T1.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My drive to the pool is 35min each way 3x per week. There are closer ones but this one is almost always empty. Sucks getting out the door but having the pool to your self is bliss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ko21 wrote:

Talk to the gym and have them enforce a lane or two with no kids. We had something similar last year when an area school was using the pool. The kids didn't like being crowded and would try to spill into the reserved lane, but complaining to the front desk would get it enforced.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
ko21 wrote:

Talk to the gym and have them enforce a lane or two with no kids. We had something similar last year when an area school was using the pool. The kids didn't like being crowded and would try to spill into the reserved lane, but complaining to the front desk would get it enforced.

Such a rational suggestion, but then again this is the internet where some people have an irrational fear of talking to other people in person. yes, better to switch pools to avoid the problem then try to solve it in that case! /s

But really, I've ran into this before, i normally did my swims in the A.M when our pool had 3 of the 5 lanes as lap lanes. Few times I had to go later in the day when there were 1-2 lanes for lap swimming. Kids were clearly in the lap swim lanes. I just told the lifeguard I planned to do some lap swimming and I was going to ask the kids to vacate but might need their (lifeguard) help if the kids don't move. Asking the kids to move worked for quite a few, lifeguard helped get the rest into their designated non-lap lanes.

Alternatively you could just start out doing the butterfly. I hear that is pretty effective at getting people to vacate your lane...
Last edited by: racehd: May 17, 17 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
Alternatively you could just start out doing the butterfly. I hear that is pretty effective at getting people to vacate your lane...

Yeah, farting would probably not be noticeable enough :-|
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duathlon. If you hate it so much or if it's so terribly inconvenient, do another sport.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yes. Apparently for $1,200/year I am allowed to swim at the local Y from 5:30AM to 5:36AM and then again at midnight. It's very convenient.

You're lucky, my Y also has the added benefit of spontaneously canceling lap swim or taking most of the lanes for a variety of events like life guard class, scuba class. You know things that aren't planned weeks ahead so you could let the members know.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
My drive to the pool is 35min each way 3x per week. There are closer ones but this one is almost always empty. Sucks getting out the door but having the pool to your self is bliss.

+1. I definitely do NOT like my pool (dirty 25 yarder that takes 20+ minutes to drive to), but it's pretty empty when I want to swim before work. That is worth a million bucks. Definitely worth the extra drive and occasional hair tumbleweed rolling across the bottom with bandaids following it like those little pilot fish hanging around a shark.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm lucky in that my pool is close and there are other options, what isn't good is my one at work is 18 m so you feel like you are always turning and my other options don't open till 6.30 and they are always full. There are lanes for different capabilities but a lot of people over estimate where they should be. I'm not a fantastic swimmer (6.30 400m) but if I'm lapping you you are in the wrong lane.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have lived in a number of places over the past 5-6 years and basically wherever I lived a 1 hour swim took about 2 hours elapsed time (getting there, getting changed, swimming, showering, getting changed, getting back). I think as part of being a regular swimmer you need to accept that there's faff involved.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
happyscientist wrote:
ko21 wrote:

Such a rational suggestion, but then again this is the internet where some people have an irrational fear of talking to other people in person. yes, better to switch pools to avoid the problem then try to solve it in that case! /s

But really, I've ran into this before, i normally did my swims in the A.M when our pool had 3 of the 5 lanes as lap lanes. Few times I had to go later in the day when there were 1-2 lanes for lap swimming. Kids were clearly in the lap swim lanes. I just told the lifeguard I planned to do some lap swimming and I was going to ask the kids to vacate but might need their (lifeguard) help if the kids don't move. Asking the kids to move worked for quite a few, lifeguard helped get the rest into their designated non-lap lanes.

when i've had kids spill into my lap lane, i ask them nicely not to do it. if they do it again, i tell them next time i will drown them. the shock value is pretty effective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said, ask them to keep a lap lane or two open.

Tethers are actually good for working on technique. If there is an asymmetry in your stroke (my R armstroke has some small inefficiency I learned about via a tether), the tether will find it. But yeah, the no-metrics makes tether swimming less appealing to me.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried closed-fist swim-drills?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply

Prev Next